• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 221teddy

221teddy

Jo Bonnier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:GPL tracks, Mods and Carsets, racing history behind GPL and its mods and tracks, RC modelling (planes), history, flight simulation
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 04 2019 - 01:44 PM

I want to open a new discussion which came up from time to time in the past like „what are the best track updates?“, „what are the best mods?“, „what are the best fantasy tracks?“ or „what are the best online tracks?“.
During the last 20 years there appeared several hundreds of addon tracks and a similar number of addons, textures etc. I think after celebrating GPL‘s 20th birthday that‘s a good point in time to review our personal preferences and to give the other drivers recommendations about tracks which are worth to be installed on the hard drive. The ratings in the GPL track data base in my opinion are not any more a good guidance since the ratings of the recently released tracks typically are based on very fiew ratings (sometimes only one). Furthermore the more representative ratings of older tracks normaly do not consider the availability of more recent track updates and textures.
Therefore I want to ask you to post here your personally preferred tracks, your rankings, your favourite track-update-combinations etc. It does not matter if you prefer original Papyrus tracks, addon tracks, ai or online racing, fantasy tracks, slot car tracks and so on. Just post you preferences and give us some information why you like these tracks. Perhaps other GPL drivers will identify tracks they did not know until now and will give them a chance. I‘m sure many GPL enthusiasts will be interested in this topic.

As a starting point I will reveal my personal top 10 tracks:

10) Avus 50s
An extremely fast race track with two extra long straights, a hairpin bend and a spectacular steep turn. Even though the track is relatively old the graphics are quite good. But of course contemporary textures would be appreciated. There exists a similar 67 version of the track by the same authors displaying an alternative hairpin.

9) Roosevelt 37
A racetrack near New York of the golden pre-war grand prix era of the silver arrows and the Alfa Romeos. On this former horse race track in 1936 and 1937 there took place the so called Vanderbilt Cup Races with the famous race drivers like Tazio Nuvolari and Bernd Rosemeyer. The Layout represents the 1937 shape of the race track with a steep turn.
Although completely flat I like this track because it is different from any other race track with its wide curves, the long straight, the bumpy tarmac, its guardrails and the steep turn. The textures are good but not outstanding. Unfortunately the atmosphere is a little bit gloomy. High res textures and sunshine would improve the overall impression. If you do not yet know this track give it a chance!

8) Vallelunga 1967
Fantastic all in one package by Ginetto. Great atmosphere, outstanding graphics. I like the stadium like layout of the former horse race track near Rome. Somehow comparable to the motodrome of Hockenheim, but more narrow. Difficult to drive with powerful cars.

7) Riverside71
Ginettos Masterpiece. There exist three variants. The 66, the 71 and the SC version. Personally I prefer the 71 layout. The historical accuracy of this Californian race track is outstanding. There are onboard laps available in the 60’s (sc variant, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zakPard0iKI) and in the 80’s (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_kG13L2XeM) (displaying the 71 banked curve) where you can compare. Somewhere on the srmz forums some additional updates are available for this track. Prior to Ginettos layouts there existed yet other Riverside tracks. They are not 100% historically accurate (the esses and the steep turn are different) yet interesting and challenging GPL tracks. For the usgp60 track there is an excellent texture update available on the srmz forum.

6) Zandvoort
What I like most in this race track is the fantastic atmosphere when entering the crowded starting-finishing area, the hairpin, two curves behind, and then leaving. Driving on the elevated curves in the dunes is pure fun. Unlike many other slow tracks this race track has a characteristic „rhythm“.
At youtube you can drive an onboard lap with Alain Prost in the 80’s (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmj0uN_DWdI). The track was almost unchanged with the exception of the Hondenvlak (chicane) and Parnoramabocht part where the layout was significantly modified.

5) Norisring
This was one of my first addon tracks I installed in my GPL directory in 2004/2005. The original version was yet felicitous. Applying Thomas Laechele’s textures ( https://www.autosimsport.net/thomas_laechele/) the track becomes outstanding and almost fotorealistic. I recommend Greg’s all in on package with some minor improvements and a new ai ( http://srmz.net/index.php?showtopic=12683&hl=norisring ). The real track on public roads in Nürnberg is in use until today for the DTM series (German touring car masters). Therefore it represents an intermediate between the classical post-war tracks and modern race tracks. Totally flat, a fast curve-straight combination, a hairpin, and esses are the elements of this short city track. The track is arranged around the old giant tribune of the Nazi’s political conventions and the atmosphere (in reality and in GPL) remembers the chariot race in Ben Hur.

4) Bremgarten
This is a race track in a forest near Bern which was in use in 1954 for the last time. For GPL it is a quite old track. By applying the available beautiful updates including high resolution textures and objects it remains in a contemporary status. There are several updates and textures available but I recommend the following update which represents some kind of an optimized synopsis of all available updates: http://srmz.net/index.php?showtopic=11825&hl=bremgarten . The track is very challenging ant it consists primarily of high speed curves and some difficult corners. Long distances are driven in the forest (in GPL and in reality) with a difficult lighting situation. Unfortunately there are very few movies of the disappeared real track available (no onboard camera). Therefore it is difficult to assess whether the GPL conversion is close to reality. In the linked movie can be seen some scenes of one of the last races held there (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7vSLuwEuLo&list=PL9FBxTPjbJrkrylrx4RWRL7oGNnmLwPb9) It looks like the atmosphere represented in the updated GPL track is convincing.

3) Solitude
A wonderful mix of high speed sections, fast curves, fast esses, and slow winding roads. The original track hosted some non-championship grand prix races in the surroundings of Stuttgart. There are 2 or 3 different texture updates available for the original GPLEA track. Personally I prefer the Laechele textures (https://www.autosimsport.net/thomas_laechele/)

2) Monza
Nothing to say. Probably all of you know these tracks. There exists the original Papyrus track with the updates out of the GPLPS installer, a Monza 69 variant by Gammaworx (just different textures and objects), and the two derivatives Monza10k and Monza 1000km. Monza 10k with the high speed oval and updated by the Laechele textures is the “Cathedral of Speed” in GPL and my favourite track in GPL beside Spa67.

1) Spa67
Since I like most driving fast tracks with fast curves this is my absolute favourite race track in GPL. It was released several years ago and it is in my opinion the best GPL track available at all: accuracy, fotorealistic textures and objects, beautiful details, 80% full throttle, challenging high speed curves. That’s GPL racing for me.

Of course there are many other beautiful tracks I like (e.g. Clermont-Ferrand, Snetterton67, Castle Combe, Bridgehampton, Hockenheim67, Zeltweg 1971, etc.) but the above mentioned are my current top 10.

#2 221teddy

221teddy

Jo Bonnier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:GPL tracks, Mods and Carsets, racing history behind GPL and its mods and tracks, RC modelling (planes), history, flight simulation

Posted Apr 04 2019 - 01:49 PM

View Post221teddy, on Apr 04 2019 - 01:44 PM, said:

3) Solitude
A wonderful mix of high speed sections, fast curves, fast esses, and slow winding roads. The original track hosted some non-championship grand prix races in the surroundings of Stuttgart. There are 2 or 3 different texture updates available for the original GPLEA track. Personally I prefer the Laechele textures (https://www.autosimsport.net/thomas_laechele/)

sorry wrong link. The right one: https://www.autosims...homas_laechele/

#3 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Apr 04 2019 - 06:11 PM

Thanks 221teddy for the list and details/links for each track.
Nice.

A new favorite, Wiesbaden is a fantastic example of the trackmakers art and great fun trying to master.

Leipzig has a similar city track flavor.

:D

Edited by John Woods, Apr 04 2019 - 06:17 PM.

#4 Spadowski

Spadowski

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted Apr 09 2019 - 12:29 PM

Leipzig is great. When I first raced that track in GPL I fell in love with it and found it for NR2003. Racing the trucks around there was nuts!

What's frustrating is there is one GPL track I remember racing, but for the life of me I don't remember what it was. I think it was a street circuit, and at one point you drive past a city hall or something. Raced it in LOPEN... Lord, 15 years ago? I've never been able to find that track again, and my description isn't exactly brilliant.

#5 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 976 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Apr 09 2019 - 04:31 PM

Watkins Glen? Short, long, country or just town?

#6 Spadowski

Spadowski

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted Apr 09 2019 - 06:30 PM

I don't think so. I remember lots of trees, and the city hall/town hall building or whatever was on the left as you passed it. What's so frustrating is I can picture it clearly in my mind but of course can't upload my brain:) (Wouldn't take much space. HAHA!)

#7 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 2,020 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Apr 10 2019 - 05:33 AM

View PostSpadowski, on Apr 09 2019 - 06:30 PM, said:

I don't think so. I remember lots of trees, and the city hall/town hall building or whatever was on the left as you passed it. What's so frustrating is I can picture it clearly in my mind but of course can't upload my brain:) (Wouldn't take much space. HAHA!)

This is an interesting puzzle Spadowski, just the kind of puzzle I like to solve, although it might take some time. I've driven several TotalRanks, so I've seen all the circuits GPL has to offer. I'll be thinking about this, and if I remember anything I will let you know. (I originally thought of the Isle of Man course, with "Ginger Hall", but that is on the right when you drive past it.)

In the meantime, you might be able to remember some more details. Are you sure the building is on the left?
What colour is the building? What is it made from? Grey/white stone? Red brick? Some other material?
What size is the building? Is it very long? How many floors does it have?
Does the building have any other notable architectural features, such as flagpoles, stone columns, or statues etc?
Is the building on a long straight or a short one? As you mentioned a street circuit, I'm assuming it's on a short straight.
Can you remember which direction you turn to enter and leave the straight with the building? Is it 'right-turn' + 'right-turn' (clockwise), or 'left-turn' + 'left-turn' (counterclockwise), or a mixture?

If you can remember any other details, try editing your post above to add them and I'll try to help you pin it down. :crossfingers:

Alternatively, to avoid hijacking this thread, you could go to the "GPL - Help! I'm having trouble with..." section of the forum and start a new thread there, maybe called "Trying to remember a GPL track" or something similar. Then we could all chip in with ideas without causing any disruption here.

Edited by Saiph, Apr 10 2019 - 05:48 AM.

#8 fajanko

fajanko

Jani Posta

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,004 posts
  • Interests:"I am a semi-professional race car driver AND an amateur tattoo artist."

Posted Apr 10 2019 - 06:36 AM

View PostSpadowski, on Apr 09 2019 - 12:29 PM, said:

Leipzig is great. When I first raced that track in GPL I fell in love with it and found it for NR2003. Racing the trucks around there was nuts!

What's frustrating is there is one GPL track I remember racing, but for the life of me I don't remember what it was. I think it was a street circuit, and at one point you drive past a city hall or something. Raced it in LOPEN... Lord, 15 years ago? I've never been able to find that track again, and my description isn't exactly brilliant.

Leipzig is so much fun that I even had to read about Clara Zetkin (park) too :)

As for the city track you can't remember. Varosliget?

Edited by fajanko, Apr 10 2019 - 06:37 AM.

#9 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,568 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted Apr 10 2019 - 01:01 PM

Clermont Ferrand, Spa 67, Zolder 67, Solitude, Elkhart Lake ( Road America), Salzburgring and so manys tracks that have a soul,Leipzig being one of those

The first to wish for now, with so many tracks offered, is Warwick Farm

Edited by M Needforspeed, Apr 10 2019 - 01:04 PM.

#10 Ramoats

Ramoats

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 231 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends

Posted Apr 10 2019 - 01:08 PM

View PostSpadowski, on Apr 09 2019 - 12:29 PM, said:

I have an old track called Thornham that might fit your description .... its a British village street circuit .. trees... lots of inns to stop and drink at along the way...

Edited by Ramoats, Apr 10 2019 - 01:18 PM.

#11 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 976 posts

Posted Apr 10 2019 - 01:50 PM

View PostSpadowski, on Apr 09 2019 - 06:30 PM, said:

I'd like to reiterate my case for Watkins Glen
https://www.youtube....h?v=wStIZ7uyO84

Edited by Michkov, Apr 10 2019 - 01:51 PM.

#12 MrDarkSide

MrDarkSide

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:-

Posted Apr 10 2019 - 03:15 PM

Clermont-Ferrand and Solitude are the ones I always come back to. They're just beautiful to drive.

#13 Spadowski

Spadowski

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted Apr 10 2019 - 03:38 PM

View PostSaiph, on Apr 10 2019 - 05:33 AM, said:

This is an interesting puzzle Spadowski, just the kind of puzzle I like to solve, although it might take some time. I've driven several TotalRanks, so I've seen all the circuits GPL has to offer. I'll be thinking about this, and if I remember anything I will let you know. (I originally thought of the Isle of Man course, with "Ginger Hall", but that is on the right when you drive past it.)

In the meantime, you might be able to remember some more details. Are you sure the building is on the left?
What colour is the building? What is it made from? Grey/white stone? Red brick? Some other material?
What size is the building? Is it very long? How many floors does it have?
Does the building have any other notable architectural features, such as flagpoles, stone columns, or statues etc?
Is the building on a long straight or a short one? As you mentioned a street circuit, I'm assuming it's on a short straight.
Can you remember which direction you turn to enter and leave the straight with the building? Is it 'right-turn' + 'right-turn' (clockwise), or 'left-turn' + 'left-turn' (counterclockwise), or a mixture?

If you can remember any other details, try editing your post above to add them and I'll try to help you pin it down. :crossfingers:

Alternatively, to avoid hijacking this thread, you could go to the "GPL - Help! I'm having trouble with..." section of the forum and start a new thread there, maybe called "Trying to remember a GPL track" or something similar. Then we could all chip in with ideas without causing any disruption here.

Good idea. If none of the answers here work I'll post there. To answer your questions: The building was on the left, after some trees. There may have been railings in front of it. It was light colored. It was on the left either on a right hand turn or just after the exit of a right hand turn. I THINK it was very... Pointy. It definitely wasn't a flat, square type building. Floors? Definitely higher than two stories. That's about all I can remember. Oh, my brain keeps telling me it's a Swiss track, but that can't be right given their ban on racing, surely?

Oh, the other thing is it's definitely made pre 2010. (I really don't want to go into how I know this but my avatar says some of it.)

View Postfajanko, on Apr 10 2019 - 06:36 AM, said:

Leipzig is so much fun that I even had to read about Clara Zetkin (park) too :)

As for the city track you can't remember. Varosliget?

Watched the video of a lap. Lovely track but sadly not the one. (Definitely downloading it though.)

View PostRamoats, on Apr 10 2019 - 01:08 PM, said:

I have an old track called Thornham that might fit your description .... its a British village street circuit .. trees... lots of inns to stop and drink at along the way...

Installed. The one screenshot, it's at least the right sort of track. (Edit: Nope, did a lap. Definitely not it sadly.)

View PostMichkov, on Apr 10 2019 - 01:50 PM, said:

I'd like to reiterate my case for Watkins Glen
https://www.youtube....h?v=wStIZ7uyO84

Watched the video. Definitely not I'm afraid. Thanks though. I do remember driving that many years ago.

Edited by Spadowski, Apr 10 2019 - 04:08 PM.

#14 Spadowski

Spadowski

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted Apr 10 2019 - 03:40 PM

View PostMrDarkSide, on Apr 10 2019 - 03:15 PM, said:

Clermont-Ferrand and Solitude are the ones I always come back to. They're just beautiful to drive.

Wanted to keep my mystery track thing in a separate post...

Clermont-Ferrand is one of the reasons I came back to GPL. I had versions for other sims but they just didn't feel anywhere near as good as I remembered the GPL version being. First thing I did on getting GPL back up and running was install it, and yep, my memory did not betray me:)

I love Solitude as well, though much prefer Snowitude. Not just for the easter eggs around the track, but also because for a sim that can't do weather, the snow effect is glorious. Snowitude definitely in my top ten tracks for GPL.

Edited by Spadowski, Apr 10 2019 - 03:40 PM.

#15 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 976 posts

Posted Apr 10 2019 - 05:03 PM

Parco Valentino, Turin

https://www.youtube....h?v=IKfgP9GjKCI

#16 Spadowski

Spadowski

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted Apr 10 2019 - 05:49 PM

View PostMichkov, on Apr 10 2019 - 05:03 PM, said:

Honestly thought that could be it from the opening few seconds but... No:( I'm going to start a thread elsewhere on here. Sorry for the derail.

#17 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 976 posts

Posted Apr 10 2019 - 07:39 PM

It's only 600 odd tracks cant be that now we eliminated the first 10 :D

#18 MalBound

MalBound

Dan Gurney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:1968 F1 Season.

Posted Apr 10 2019 - 09:48 PM

One of my favorite tracks are Monaco and Monza.
I wish there will be Stefano's real Monaco circuit and Thomas Laechele's real Monza circuit.

#19 Spadowski

Spadowski

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted Apr 11 2019 - 02:12 PM

View PostMalBound, on Apr 10 2019 - 09:48 PM, said:

One of my favorite tracks are Monaco and Monza.
I wish there will be Stefano's real Monaco circuit and Thomas Laechele's real Monza circuit.

Monza was the first circuit I went negative on in GPLRank so holds a special place. And Monaco is amazing, but every lap that damn chicane scares the willies out of me. Not sure I've ever taken it well.

#20 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,726 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Apr 13 2019 - 08:17 AM

I'm a bit different. I love to race Championships at full length. So, it's either the original 11 Papy tracks with the popular updates, or the real 11 tracks in the Historical V2 mod.

It's not so much that I love the tracks, but that I love being as historical as possible. I know Rouen isn't historical but Bugatti is such a lousy track I make an exception. I do use Bugatti in the V2 mod and hate it as the real drivers did too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links