• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Formula 1, Football (Soccer), Grand Prix Legends and rFactor
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 06 2015 - 02:04 PM

The King and 64-bits
An analysis of GPL on Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 Technical Preview

Hi there, chaps!

I'm starting this topic to give my opinions on how the modern Windows versions are putting in new challenges to the survival of our favourite racing sim by telling you how hings changed with each one of them. Also, if anybody wants to help, is really appreciated, so we can expand this statistic and see where we have to work to make it run even on the new OSes.

I've done all the tests with all the standard GPL, installed with the 1.07 installer, and Papy tracks as they come out of it with standard setup. The cars also have not been tampred with, to have a test as adherent to a fresh installed copy. Only thing I've installed to put some sort of strain on the PC is the newly released Spa '67, in its standard form. Mind that, in my copy of GPL, I've not added the 60 FPS patch, so all the tests on my rig are done that way. Also, the game has been installed on the System Hard drive.
The drivers have all been updated.

For starters, here's my rig: I changed CPU and mobo recently because the old ones (an Intel Core2Duo E6750 and and MSI mobo) croaked together last November.

CPU : AMD FM2+ A10-7850K, 4.0 Ghz
Motherboard: ASRock Mod SoFM2+ FM2A88X+ Killer (ATX)
Graphics:    ASUS ATi Radeon HD5770 Cu-Core (AMD Catalyst 14.12 Omega)
RAM:   Corsair CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9 Vengeance, 4 GB, 1600 MHz, DDR3, DIMM
HDDs: 1x SATA Western Digital WDC5000 AAKX-00ERMA0 (500 GB) (System)
  1x SATA MAXTOR STM3160215AS (160 GB)
  1x SATA MAXTOR STM3250310AS (250 GB)
Screen:   Samsung SyncMaster S19B150 (Native resolution, 1366 x 768)

Part 1: Windows 7 Home Premium x64
As expected, everything runs smoothly in D3Dv2, fluid 36 FPS even on the CPU-hungry Spa '67 with full field at the native resolution of my Samsung. Obviously, there's a drop in FPS (~4 FPS) when the race starts in Spa '67, but it's totally manageable and it's a well known performance hit with that track.

In OpenGLv2 the music changes radically. I can get on the race menu, just before entering the track. But there the problems start: the FPS aren't more than 30 oth the "normal" tracks and no more than 15 on Spa '67's strating grid. In the latter, usually it comes to a healtier 25 FPS after passing the Eau Rouge.
Pribluda is completely screwed: the fonts are too big and have a heavy ghosting effect that makes writings almost unreadable.
When abandoning the track, everything goes black: nothing works, only pitch black. To get out of the sim I have to continuously press [esc] and then [enter]. The [Alt]+[tab] trick seems to not be useful in this situation.

Part 2: Windows 8.1 x64
D3Dv2 rasterizer seems to be going on a single leg when compared to the previous situation: the game suffered an humongous FPS drop, being unable to ever go past 25 when alone on the track and 10 when facing a full grid. Thus, the response is unbearably slow: it's technically a slow motion game. This happens on every track used for testing. Menus are still working properly, although load times are quite longer.

OpenGLv2 suffers the same issues as before. Sadly, no progress has been made.

Part 3: Windows 10 x64 Tecnical Preview
Slight improvements in D3Dv2 Mode, but not by much: the FPS are still pretty low (~27 FPS) on every game, but the lowest level is still registered at Spa '67 (17 FPS when on a full grid on he starting line).

OpenGLv2 is still suffering all the probles as the the two Windows versions before.

At the end of the test, I suspect that there's something not working properly on how GPL "talks" with the newer versions of Windows, primarily on the OpenGL graphic libraries that seem to not be used as much as they could be.

#2 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.

Posted Apr 06 2015 - 04:18 PM

The problem you're having is the AMD Radeon drivers and not Windows, the last couple of posts in this thread should help:

http://srmz.net/inde...opic=6091&st=15

If you want to run the OpenGLv2 rasteriser there's no option but to run old versions of the AMD drivers, not a big problem for single screen users as they can run the Direct3Dv2 rasteriser (maybe with lower fps).... but for triple screen users it has to be OpenGLv2 as it's the only one that supports the huge resolutions. The other downside is that some games (rFactor2 especially) don't run at all well with the old drivers, I had to choose between rF2 and GPL, easy choice really as I just can't get on with rF2 despite doing hundreds of laps :D

I guess eventually the latest drivers will no longer run GPL and we won't be able to run it on any modern machines, maybe some clever person can make new rasterisers that are compatible but it seems unlikely now :(

Edited by Fat Rich, Apr 06 2015 - 04:22 PM.

#3 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,051 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Apr 06 2015 - 06:35 PM

Rich, it seems like we'll just have to keep our "old iron".  I saw an Intel i7 Toshiba laptop with separate internal nVidia graphics card and Win7 Pro..... but I waited too long to snatch it up, and it was gone.

Edited by gliebzeit, Apr 06 2015 - 06:35 PM.

#4 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  • Interests:everything that has a Ferrari V12 inside
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Apr 07 2015 - 05:28 AM

I have used GPL on three different systems with Windows XP, 7, 8 and 8.1. Never a problem.
You can read my latest pc specs in my profile page. It runs silky smooth max fps all tracks max grid with OGL2, with cranked up settings both in GPL and Nvidia Control Panel.
The only mod where I have spikes is CanAm '71 :(

New version of Open Glide libraries for Windows should dramatically improve CPU calls, like what dx12 will do. When and how it will affect GPL experience is to be seen.

#5 Andy Clegg

Andy Clegg

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Long distance sports car racing. Touring cars.

Posted Apr 07 2015 - 08:54 AM

I've 8.1, and GPL runs fine in open GLv2. Not good with D3Dv2. GTR2 and P&G runs fine.

#6 Lord

Lord

Mr. Broken Gearbox

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted Apr 07 2015 - 10:13 AM

Maybe it's just that AMD loves to screw with its customers, in a certain way.

Anyhow, I reverted back to Windows 7 Home Premium x64 and I decided to give a try to the AMD Catalyst 15.3 Beta drivers (Timestamp: March 20, 2015, the latest release availbale), which are still in development.
D3Dv2 still works like a charm, but the greatest surprise is the OpenGLv2 rasterizer: All the problems seem to have been fixed but the ghosting on Pribluda's info, some minor flickering on the screen (when coming from a menu into the pits) and when the [esc] button is pressed for the first time in the session (more precisely, you can see the desktop for a slit second and then the required feature loads).

EDIT 1: After further testing, the OpenGLv2 rasterizer is even more performing than I expected: sleek 36 FPS in every situation, even in Spa '67 with a full grid. Maybe this time AMD has learned how to write a proper driver... ^^;

http://support.amd.c...ndows-beta.aspx

Edited by Lord, Apr 07 2015 - 03:23 PM.

#7 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.

Posted Apr 07 2015 - 11:26 AM

Ah, that's good to know, hopefully AMD will fix their drivers and we can run the latest ones with no problems, the Catalyst software is currently pretty poor in my opinion with some features not working in Advanced View that work fine in Standard View.

#8 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,456 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Apr 07 2015 - 12:53 PM

Looks like we'll eventually have to use VMware or Virtual box for our gpl?

TP:

#9 Frenchy

Frenchy

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 531 posts

Posted Apr 08 2015 - 09:49 AM

Try the outline fonts to see if that helps with prib in OpenGL

Cheers
David

#10 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,484 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted Apr 09 2015 - 03:41 AM

View PostLord, on Apr 07 2015 - 10:13 AM, said:

Maybe it's just that AMD loves to screw with its customers, in a certain way.

Anyhow, I reverted back to Windows 7 Home Premium x64 and I decided to give a try to the AMD Catalyst 15.3 Beta drivers (Timestamp: March 20, 2015, the latest release availbale), which are still in development.
D3Dv2 still works like a charm, but the greatest surprise is the OpenGLv2 rasterizer: All the problems seem to have been fixed but the ghosting on Pribluda's info, some minor flickering on the screen (when coming from a menu into the pits) and when the [esc] button is pressed for the first time in the session (more precisely, you can see the desktop for a slit second and then the required feature loads).

EDIT 1: After further testing, the OpenGLv2 rasterizer is even more performing than I expected: sleek 36 FPS in every situation, even in Spa '67 with a full grid. Maybe this time AMD has learned how to write a proper driver... ^^;

http://support.amd.c...ndows-beta.aspx

If this Beta driver cures your problem, and even improve performances, maybe it should be added on Bob Simpson FAQ related to GFX . Your finding is a greater contribution that we can think at first sight for AMD/ATI Users  ( Nvidia here ! )

Edited by M Needforspeed, Apr 09 2015 - 03:42 AM.

#11 Yngwie

Yngwie

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted Apr 09 2015 - 04:32 AM

The Freesync function in that beta driver looks interesting. But I tend to wait for the final version to check that out ;)

#12 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 853 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Apr 09 2015 - 05:24 AM

Does the "keep aspect ratio" works in this CCC 15.3 beta?

I hate to have the menues streched to 16:9...
The last version "ATIGPUScalingFix-Win7" worked was 14.4

#13 Lord

Lord

Mr. Broken Gearbox

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted Apr 14 2015 - 01:26 AM

View PostM Needforspeed, on Apr 09 2015 - 03:41 AM, said:

If this Beta driver cures your problem, and even improve performances, maybe it should be added on Bob Simpson FAQ related to GFX . Your finding is a greater contribution that we can think at first sight for AMD/ATI Users  ( Nvidia here ! )

Well, to end up there Ithink that first it has to be tested by other AMD/ATi users: it worked for me, but I'm not sure if it works for other CPU/GPU combos too. :)

View PostYngwie, on Apr 09 2015 - 04:32 AM, said:

The Freesync function in that beta driver looks interesting. But I tend to wait for the final version to check that out ;)

I'm totally behind you on this, chap :)

View PostCookie, on Apr 09 2015 - 05:24 AM, said:

Does the "keep aspect ratio" works in this CCC 15.3 beta?

I hate to have the menues streched to 16:9...
The last version "ATIGPUScalingFix-Win7" worked was 14.4

Yeah, it does work well: as of now, still hasn't screwed up by stretching images or anything with the default settings. As I said before, every AMD/ATi user should try these drivers and give some feedback... the more we are, the better the understanding :)

#14 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 853 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted May 04 2015 - 10:45 AM

Yes the "keep aspect ratio" works in this CCC 15.3/4 beta...

But this is the only good I have to say after a test run!

Went back to the CCC 14.4 where OGL is the best I ever had! Perfect pribluda and no pause between switching to menue...

Run DDU to delete all old ATI stuff first!

GOGGLE for "14-4-win7-win8-win8.1-64-dd-ccc-whql" and get it from TechPowerUp ;)

Edited by Cookie, May 04 2015 - 10:47 AM.

#15 Lord

Lord

Mr. Broken Gearbox

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted May 04 2015 - 12:33 PM

Cookie, now that I think of it, I noticed that with the Beta drivers there was a loss in performance with pribluda with all tabs on: it was incosinstant though, on Spa, starting always from the back and 99% details, the framerate sometimes was 36, other times 28, others again 12... pretty inconsistent :/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Windows, 8.1, 10, GPL, Grand Prix Legends, ATI, AMD, Test, x64

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links