Peter Dron

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Jellied eels
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Aug 21 2015 - 10:09 AM

I am blundering around here, with a full GPL re-installation. Mostly it is proceeding well, if a bit slowly, but I have run into one problem, which I have worsened with operator error...

I decided to use GPL Setup Manager, to key in settings for various cars at various tracks. I started this and then it was suggested that the program was not properly installed. I checked in the game and indeed it was not working. Without thinking sufficiently, I deleted it and downloaded Setup Manager from the internet.

And now I have Itdoesn'twork v2, which seems to be far more powerful. It complains that it does not have certain essential elements in it - player files, etc. Do I have to go back to Square 1 and start re-installing GPL again, or is there a simpler way around this?

Aargh!

#2 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,231 posts

Posted Aug 21 2015 - 11:02 AM

View PostPeter Dron, on Aug 21 2015 - 10:09 AM, said:

And now I have Itdoesn'twork v2, which seems to be far more powerful. It complains that it does not have certain essential elements in it - player files, etc. Do I have to go back to Square 1 and start re-installing GPL again, or is there a simpler way around this?

Can you explain what this means?  What is that and how is it more powerful?  Have you pointed Setup Manager (Itdoesn'twork v2??) to your GPL installation?

You can just reinstall GEM which includes Setup Manager.

Edited by Bob Simpson, Aug 21 2015 - 11:03 AM.

#3 Peter Dron

Peter Dron

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Jellied eels

Posted Aug 21 2015 - 11:12 AM

Sorry, that was a joke. What I meant was that it did not work after the all-in-one installation - and then, when I tried to solve the problem, it became worse. Ah, but now I see that it came with GEM, so I'll do that and try not to mess it up this time! Thanks.

#4 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

oAo Admin

• Administrators
  • 321 posts
  • Interests:racing... baseball...military history... reading too much to specify everything :)

Posted Jun 08 2017 - 12:06 PM

altho the older version of GRE worked thru GEM, the later update (v2.6.1 of GRE) does not, when i try to switch from GEM to the GRE program. i did 'configure' in GEM, found the exe file and pressed 'ok'
closed all and reopened.. GRE still doesn't load.
if i click on configure, it shows the file is linked .. it just isn't loading.

i also have a desktop icon shortcut to GRE and that works fine.
guesses to what i'm doing wrong?

#5 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 775 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jun 08 2017 - 12:16 PM

If you are referring to the old program from Alison Hine, it is problematic in Vista and later.  It will work if you run the program then open a setup file with it, but not if you link it to a file extension and want it to open when you click a file.

#6 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

oAo Admin

• Administrators
  • 321 posts
  • Interests:racing... baseball...military history... reading too much to specify everything :)

Posted Jun 08 2017 - 12:45 PM

ok.. thanks
that's exactly what i've found (open as stand alone) but not thru GEM :(

#7 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 775 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jun 10 2017 - 03:25 AM

FWIW, excerpts from a message from Ms Hine (way back in 2005):

"I don't have a computer running GPL or GRE right now, so I can't help with your GRE questions. However, I don't recall ever getting GRE to work with extension associations. I always opened GRE first and then opened the file I wanted through GRE.   ...I've forwarded your email to my brother Nate Hine, who wrote GRE. Perhaps he can help."

From Nate:  "I don't have GRE installed either. Sounds like what got fixed a while back by someone else."

So the implication is there may be a patched version out there somewhere ...but i never found it, and as Ms Hine was in poor health at the time I didn't pursue it with her.

(Thanks to Thunderbird, which archived my old hotmail account.)

Edited by jgf, Jun 10 2017 - 03:28 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links