Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:GPL
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Aug 04 2010 - 11:31 AM

I've found a boxed version of rFactor on amazone, and today I've installed the game.
Installing went well, starting the game too, but when I want to drive and press the 'load' button on the track selection screen, the game closes and I return to my desktop.

I've already deleted my old account that I used for the online trail version. (which is probable more up to date then the old boxed version)
And created a new one, but still I can't load any track, I've tried a lot of combinations?

Does anyone know if I need to download patches or something?
I know the boxed version is pretty rare and a few years old.

Edited by Millennium, Aug 04 2010 - 11:32 AM.

#2 Rudy Dingemans

Rudy Dingemans

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted Aug 04 2010 - 11:54 AM

Don't think the boxed version is that rare - I got one simply by ordering, a few months ago.

As for your problems, since it's Windows, could be anything, a myriad of cumbersome possibilities. (You could do it like me and run it on Mac OS X to avoid Windows, but that's not anyone's preference I guess  ;) I'd advise to look & ask around on rF forums like NoGrip or RaceDepartment for detailed answers. Meanwhile, try looking in your tracelogs to check if the game isn't able to find some file it needs. Or try downloading the (cracked) Lite version and starting with a minimal amount of cars & tracks to see if that will work. Preferably on a different partition/user account to see if that'd make any difference. Easiest thing to compare would be to try it on a different pc (or Mac).

Regards, Rudy
(GPLRank: -40)

#3 dbell84

dbell84

Dan Gurney For President

• Supporter
  • 921 posts
  • Interests:Whatever

Posted Aug 04 2010 - 12:23 PM

Millennium, check your box to see what version it is.  If it isn't version 1.255, then download the update patch.  That's where I would start.  After that, like Rudy said, NoGrip or another site that has more Rfactor traffic would be a better place to get answers than here.

Dave

#4 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted Aug 04 2010 - 12:49 PM

I bought a used version, and it's quiete old. I've look at the box and it's an older version, so I think I'll try the update patch.

I'm familiar with the Nogrip site, but since a few days I can't reach that site :S
Google Chrome as well as IE both can't find the site annymore, sadly because i used to download my GTR2 tracks there. :(

I'll try racedepartment, thanks!

#5 dbell84

dbell84

Dan Gurney For President

• Supporter
  • 921 posts

Posted Aug 04 2010 - 02:16 PM

I was at NoGrip the other day and saw a notice that it was undergoing an upgrade.  That must be the issue.  It'll be back.

#6 Remy

Remy

Matra boy

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted Aug 04 2010 - 03:50 PM

If you run it under Vista, right clic on the exe, properties and check "run as administrator". You'll be asked every time, but it works

#7 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted Aug 04 2010 - 04:08 PM

View Postdbell84, on Aug 04 2010 - 02:16 PM, said:

I was at NoGrip the other day and saw a notice that it was undergoing an upgrade.  That must be the issue.  It'll be back.

Ok, I have to be patience then :)

@Remy,
I use Windows 7. But I've just used your advice and ran it as administrator, but the same thing happend when I clicked the load button. :(

#8 Remy

Remy

Matra boy

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted Aug 05 2010 - 05:55 AM

something is missing...

or maybe you didn't run the "rF config.exe", did you?

#9 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted Aug 05 2010 - 09:19 AM

View PostRemy, on Aug 05 2010 - 05:55 AM, said:

something is missing...

or maybe you didn't run the "rF config.exe", did you?

I did, I've tried a few different setting but still it won't load.

Ok this is strange:

I downloaded the dvd F patch and the latest 1255 patch.
When I use the dvd F patch, I get the message mss33.dll or binkw32.dll isn't located on my pc.
But they ARE in the program files, I've even replaced them with original files from the disc.

When I use the 1255 patch, I get the screen that I have 36 minutes of my free trial.
When I press play, the game works perfect, tracks do load and I can race with all the cars and tracks from my dvd.
But when I stopped and restarted to see if the minute count had change, it said I had only 26 minutes left.

So I can play in the Trial version mode, but not when I using my dvd?! :(

*I don't know if it's legal here to talk about torrents and cracked version, but I'm downloading cracked versions now, see if they do work.

Edited by Millennium, Aug 05 2010 - 09:27 AM.

#10 dbell84

dbell84

Dan Gurney For President

• Supporter
  • 921 posts

Posted Aug 05 2010 - 11:58 AM

After seeing your post, I created a separate install of Rfactor with my DVD.  My DVD is already a 1.255 version, but I downloaded and applied the DVD F patch to see what would happen.  The same thing that happened to you happened to me.  Very strange.  I would contact Rfactor's support and let them know what happened. It's BS that it overwrites the DVD with a trial version.  Since it did work once it was patched to 1.255, that seems to be the culprit.

#11 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted Aug 05 2010 - 12:44 PM

View Postdbell84, on Aug 05 2010 - 11:58 AM, said:

After seeing your post, I created a separate install of Rfactor with my DVD.  My DVD is already a 1.255 version, but I downloaded and applied the DVD F patch to see what would happen.  The same thing that happened to you happened to me.  Very strange.  I would contact Rfactor's support and let them know what happened. It's BS that it overwrites the DVD with a trial version.  Since it did work once it was patched to 1.255, that seems to be the culprit.

Thanks!
I'm glad to know that is does not have something to do with my pc.

I'll try to contact RFactor's support!

#12 dbell84

dbell84

Dan Gurney For President

• Supporter
  • 921 posts

Posted Aug 06 2010 - 07:31 AM

View PostMillennium, on Aug 05 2010 - 12:44 PM, said:

View Postdbell84, on Aug 05 2010 - 11:58 AM, said:

Thanks!
I'm glad to know that is does not have something to do with my pc.

I'll try to contact RFactor's support!

Hope you can get it sorted Millennium.  I've had Rfactor up for about 3 weeks now and am having fun with CARTfactor and some of the F1 mods.  It won't replace GPL for me, but it's a nice change of pace.

Also wanted to let you know that NoGrip is back up and if you haven't been to rfactorcentral.com, then give them a try.  They seem to have a fairly active forum there for rfactor.

Good luck, Dave

#13 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted Aug 07 2010 - 04:59 PM

Well, I got mail from the RFactor Support Center.
The said there are two options:

-I should apply the DVD F patch, instead of the normal update patch.
(Did they even read my mail, I've said I've done that)

-I'm using the .exe from a downloaded mod, mods shouldn't be distrubuted this way.

I didn't download a mod yet, and if they mean I'm using a downloaded version, that's not the case.
So...

*Oh I've just typed in the NoGrip url, and you're right, the site is working again!
I can continue downloading stuff for GTR2, to forget RFactor. ;)*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links