#1 Hezemans

Hezemans

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jul 20 2010 - 07:01 AM

Still can't get enough reargrip on GTP cars, so any setup tips to gain MAX reargrip would be very wellcom, Thanks very much,.........Hez :hat-tip:

#2 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 785 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jul 20 2010 - 09:49 AM

These cars are supposed to have some oversteer to hold speed through the turns.  If you get the rear to stick more they quickly switch to an understeer that really slows you down.  But normal setup changes apply;  more rear wing (often only one or two ticks is sufficient), less rear bar, softer springs, or a trackbar adjustment.

#3 fortine_oo

fortine_oo

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted Jul 20 2010 - 06:03 PM

Not enough information.

Rear grip...
entering a corner?
through a corner?
exiting (acceleration) a corner?

Every track, or specific tracks?

What makes you say it's rear end grip? Perhaps it's overall balance, steering ratio (sensitivity), gearing.

Gtp cars are throttle sensitive, you can't just mash it. Perhaps you're getting into the corner too fast, getting back to WOT too quick.

Loose is fast. These cars drift, they don't have the grip of a F1 car.

#4 Hezemans

Hezemans

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted Jul 21 2010 - 08:26 AM

fortine_oo, indeed much too much steering sensitivity, changed it!! How about weight balance? In the middle? would that help?Thank you :hat-tip:

#5 Arturo Pereira

Arturo Pereira

Denny Hulme

• 862 posts

Posted Jul 21 2010 - 03:10 PM

Imo, it is impossible to make a setup that will bring you high grip everywhere and, in fact, it could not be the better idea sometimes.

I think you can get more grip:

1. using more wing. However, if you use too much wing, you will get understeer at some turns and will also be slower at the straights.

2. I use to reduce the rear rebound a bit so when you use the throttle the rearend will be less wild. However, as has been said, you must use the throttle gently with these cars.

3. at high speed turns, it may help to stiff a bit the rear springs so the rearend won´t get lower and you will get more wing effect (downforce) at those kind of turns. However, this will slow you down at the straights.

4. you can also use less ARB at the rear,

5. you can put more weight to the rear. However, this may cause understeer at medium and high speed turns, and also at some slow turns since you will have much less weight to the front at the time to accelerate.

In a way, when making a setup you must assume some compromises and, imo, you will never get the ideal setup. What can be good for fast turns, can kill you at slow turns, and viceversa. You must take your choice, depending on the kind of track, i,e, what may work great at Long Beach, can kill you at Spa or Monza :)

#6 fortine_oo

fortine_oo

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted Jul 21 2010 - 03:12 PM

Which mark are you using?
The fastest and easiest to control is the jag.
The sau is the fastest overall but is more prone to oversteer on acceleration exiting a corner. and it has weak brakes, so downshifting is required to help get it slowed down.
The maz is just slow. It requires maximum driving to get the top speed out of it, so over-driving it is a problem.
For me, the toy is just evil. I've tried other's setup with no luck and I don't have a clue what the base setup ranges are.

"How about weight balance? In the middle?"
If you're talking about weight location on the car, i.e. front to rear, then mostly front weighted. For jag, maz, and sau, full foward to 3 clicks toward rear depending on the track. I only drive the toy when I'm developing ai, I tend to have the weight from the middle to full rear.

#7 Hezemans

Hezemans

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted Jul 22 2010 - 01:55 AM

Thanks for your's setup advice............Hez. :hat-tip:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links