• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 09 2020 - 09:07 AM

So I'm finally(after a long time) going to set up my Logitech G29 and shifter, for GPL. For gears I've always used the flipper buttons, like a modern F1 car 🤭😛

So what do I need people. Can someone give me a few quick pointers and synopsis on how to begin.

Do I need GPL shift programme, fair shift, or both 🤔🤔

What about ffb patch and head movement patch too 🤔🤔

Thank you all 😁👍

TP: 🏁👋

Edited by twinpotter, Jan 09 2020 - 09:09 AM.

#2 Rudolf Goertz

Rudolf Goertz

Pedro Rodriquez

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports, Music

Posted Jan 09 2020 - 10:03 AM

Hi twinpotter, very good decision but will make you seriously slower. But on the other hand adds a lot of intensity I think. I have been using the G25 together with GPL-shift for years. Then I switched to Fanatec Clubsport with Fanatec H-shifter. This works with fair shift only. I would try both. One or the other will do the trick. Happy "heel-and-toe-learning" :)

#3 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,734 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jan 09 2020 - 10:19 AM

Hi Rudolf. Thanks for your thoughts. Funnily enough I've just been looking at the best wheels for 2020

https://www.techrada...fanatec-vs-hori

Liking the look of the Fanatec CSL Elite.

I'm going to stick with the G29 for now, as it is nearly new and I got it budget price with the included shifter.

Next up though is a work up to something better, like the Fanatec brand 🤔 Time to save up some money 🤭

TP: 🏁

Edited by twinpotter, Jan 09 2020 - 10:22 AM.

#4 Lalethor

Lalethor

Alessandro Isacchini

• Supporter
  • 310 posts
  • Interests:Racing & Gnagna
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jan 09 2020 - 10:19 AM

View Posttwinpotter, on Jan 09 2020 - 09:07 AM, said:

...I've always used the flipper buttons, like a modern F1 car...

Someone ban this man :lol: :lol:

Don't know how works G25 shifter but I guess is like other H-shifter, I have the SST 8 gears and needs GPL Shift utility for works, correctly set in the file gplshift.ini (for example the line "Shifter_Model = 2.USB" for me, never used other options of view etc.)

#5 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,734 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jan 09 2020 - 10:27 AM

Lol Lalethor 🤭😂

Yes my excuse I never had a shifter until now. Will be interesting like learning a new game 🤔

TP:

Attached Files

#6 marco lenarduzzi

marco lenarduzzi

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:racing sims,cars, F1,cooking,skiing

Posted Jan 09 2020 - 01:59 PM

Hi Twinpotter,welcome to the H pattern shifter club :up: You can use gpl shift or fair shift but not together. I use gpl shift with my G27. The FFB 3 patch works best for me but you should experiment and see which one you prefer. Head movement patch is great in a replay but gpl glance is what you want to use when driving. It simulates head rotation while in cockpit view.It really helps hit your apex and adds to the immersion. May the racing gods smile upon you . :bye:

#7 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,734 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jan 09 2020 - 03:57 PM

One thousand thanks Marco for the info. Just what I wanted 😁👍

I will definitely look at GPL shift first and the GPL glance patch too.

Thanks for accepting me into the H pattern club 😁😂🤭

Time to crash that gearbox. " It's a gearbox not a Juke box" 😂

TP:

#8 paul_v

paul_v

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:grand prix legends and mods

Posted Jan 09 2020 - 04:26 PM

Hi TP,

Other than in the very early days of GPL when I had the red Momo wheel and pedals, I have used the G25 & the G27 wheel and pedal sets.

They are all still working perfectly and without fault.

I use them with or without their  respective shifters and to be honest I didn't get on too well with those even with the common mods.

I have both the 25 and 27 setup one using an Act Labs shifter and the other on the Thrustmaster th8a shifter. Both superb.

My opinion, for what it's worth is the Logitech wheels are very,very good especially for the money. The shifters I would upgrade to better.

But even with my Fanatec stuff I recently treated myself to, the logitech pedal sets are really superb.

Enjoy using your new setup... welcome to the H shifter gang...

All I think you would ever need is a gteye or Nixon style brake pedal mod and a better shifter.

I believe that because the newer style DD wheels etc receive their FF data a different way than GPL's FF is coded that the older style wheels work better.

I use mine at 270 degrees lock 90 percent ff & 25% self centering in the controller settings. Usually around 10-14 steering ratio & full linear in game.

Standard control settings in GEM+ of

Force feedback latency .085
FF damping 5
FF Max force 225

Also try the FF options in GEM if you have them, Ffb2 & Ffb3test. They are excellent.

Paul.

#9 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,756 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Jan 09 2020 - 06:39 PM

Going to a shifter shouldn't slow you down too much if at all. Going from RF braking to LF and H&T downshifts is what slowed me way down.

#10 marco lenarduzzi

marco lenarduzzi

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted Jan 09 2020 - 10:02 PM

View Posttwinpotter, on Jan 09 2020 - 03:57 PM, said:

One thousand thanks Marco for the info. Just what I wanted

I will definitely look at GPL shift first and the GPL glance patch too.

Thanks for accepting me into the H pattern club

Time to crash that gearbox. " It's a gearbox not a Juke box"

TP:
LOL If you can't find em,grind em ! ;)

#11 MLGathome

MLGathome

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • Interests:simracing

Posted Jan 10 2020 - 12:51 AM

Hi Marco,

What settings for Glance do you use? I want to give it another try.

Greetings, Macel

#12 marco lenarduzzi

marco lenarduzzi

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted Jan 10 2020 - 02:24 AM

View PostMLGathome, on Jan 10 2020 - 12:51 AM, said:

Hi Marco,

What settings for Glance do you use? I want to give it another try.

Greetings, Macel
Hi Macel,my settings are; effect - 20% ,damping - 30% and option - combine the two above.

Cheers, Marco

#13 Roger_F

Roger_F

Fiero NStar V8

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:Classic Sports Cars

Posted Jan 10 2020 - 08:00 AM

Gentlemen,

I have a technical question for the engineering oriented in the group.  Most set ups in our game / simulation have a tendency for the front end to steer under breaking; 85 / 30 set ups are least effected but still have some tendency.  My experience with real race cars is different:  in a straight line breaking situation, real race cars tend to stop straight when steered straight.

Trail breaking in the 60s and 70s was used to transfer weight to the front wheels and increase late breaking and corning speeds not control "break steering."  One reason left foot breaking seems to work so well in our game is that it in combination with some throttle, it allows much improved straight line breaking ... deep into the corner.

Going to clutches; right foot breaking ; heal - toe etc. in the name of realism also seems to expose this non realistic handling tendency in GPL.  What are you realism devotees doing to handle this phenomenon?  I'm seriously considering following in your realism foot steps but concerned with the above discussed physics modeling?  Are you modifying setups? Are you not using the clutch on down shifts.  Are you not breaking deep into the turns to minimize the break steering with right foot breaking? What adjustments have you made to you technique, equipment,  and /or set ups?

Help me understand, please.

Roger

#14 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,734 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jan 10 2020 - 04:43 PM

First of all thank you all and Paul for his settings info 👍

But oh dear oh dear oh xxxx xxxx
The proverbial as hit the fan I'm afraid. Looks like I won't be joining the wheel and shifter club yet 😠😠

Houston I have a problem. When I plugged the new wheel in my PC did not recognise it. Neither in the Installed Logitech software or in the control panel.
I looked in the device manager and the driver for the wheel is showing with a big yellow question mark. The wizard (after first plugging in) couldn't find drivers. I've searched the internet but no joy 😭😭😢😢

I think my issue is the fact that I'm on Windows XP and 32 bit. I tried a newer Logitech software but my old pc won't start and recognise the newer exe. So I'm at a loss.

It looks like the wheel pedals and shifter will have to go back, if I find no solution. I was really looking forward to this new wheel. I know I could upgrade my OS, but I just wanna keep my Windows version, for personal reasons.

Does anybody have any ideas?
I'm going to stick for a while with my old cheapskate wheel. Thinking of getting an adapter for a shifter:

http://www.leobodnar...products_id=188

Does anybody have an idea on what wheel I could get, to match my old OS, if I can't get the new Logitech working?
I'm thinking of going to a G27 or even a G25, even though I know that they'll be second hand.
What about the newish Thrust master brands. Will they work with an older OS?
I'm prepared to go up to about £300 maybe more on a purchase.

Thanks all for your input so far 👍😁😭

TP: 🏁

#15 marco lenarduzzi

marco lenarduzzi

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted Jan 10 2020 - 05:58 PM

View Posttwinpotter, on Jan 10 2020 - 04:43 PM, said:

First of all thank you all and Paul for his settings info ������

But oh dear oh dear oh xxxx xxxx
The proverbial as hit the fan I'm afraid. Looks like I won't be joining the wheel and shifter club yet ������������

Houston I have a problem. When I plugged the new wheel in my PC did not recognise it. Neither in the Installed Logitech software or in the control panel.
I looked in the device manager and the driver for the wheel is showing with a big yellow question mark. The wizard (after first plugging in) couldn't find drivers. I've searched the internet but no joy ������������������������

I think my issue is the fact that I'm on Windows XP and 32 bit. I tried a newer Logitech software but my old pc won't start and recognise the newer exe. So I'm at a loss.

It looks like the wheel pedals and shifter will have to go back, if I find no solution. I was really looking forward to this new wheel. I know I could upgrade my OS, but I just wanna keep my Windows version, for personal reasons.

Does anybody have any ideas?
I'm going to stick for a while with my old cheapskate wheel. Thinking of getting an adapter for a shifter:

http://www.leobodnar...products_id=188

Does anybody have an idea on what wheel I could get, to match my old OS, if I can't get the new Logitech working?
I'm thinking of going to a G27 or even a G25, even though I know that they'll be second hand.
What about the newish Thrust master brands. Will they work with an older OS?
I'm prepared to go up to about £300 maybe more on a purchase.

Thanks all for your input so far ������������������

TP: ������
Hi TP,I think this may interest you  https://softwarelogi...-g920-software/ it should work with XP 32 bit. Here is another link for the G29 drivers which also supports windows XP 32 bits.   https://usbforwindow...-10-8-7-xp-mac/ I hope it all works out

Edited by marco lenarduzzi, Jan 10 2020 - 06:04 PM.

#16 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,734 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jan 11 2020 - 06:08 AM

Hi Marco.

Thank you loads for supplying the links and trying to help 👍

Unfortunately the drivers are the Logitech Software, that I tried to Install before, and therefore my XP is not compatible with the softwares install exe.

Why I do not know 🤔 So it's looking like I'll never get a newer wheel on this machine. Maybe it's a sign to upgrade 🤔🤭

Then again I'm going to try resist that, and therefore I will just have to play with my old Logitech wheel, and look out for a G27 in the future 😭😭😭😭

TP:🏁😢

Edited by twinpotter, Jan 11 2020 - 06:12 AM.

#17 PTRACER

PTRACER

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:Motor racing

Posted Jan 11 2020 - 10:57 AM

Microsoft officially ended support for XP in 2014. That was 6 years ago. You can't expect a brand new wheel to work on a dead operating system.

You say you need XP for personal reasons...you can buy a Windows XP computer for much less than £50 these days. On the other hand, buying a genuine Windows 10 PC would be much better than upgrading.

#18 marco lenarduzzi

marco lenarduzzi

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted Jan 11 2020 - 06:49 PM

View Posttwinpotter, on Jan 11 2020 - 06:08 AM, said:

Hi Marco.

Thank you loads for supplying the links and trying to help

Unfortunately the drivers are the Logitech Software, that I tried to Install before, and therefore my XP is not compatible with the softwares install exe.

Why I do not know So it's looking like I'll never get a newer wheel on this machine. Maybe it's a sign to upgrade

Then again I'm going to try resist that, and therefore I will just have to play with my old Logitech wheel, and look out for a G27 in the future

TP:
It's strange that it doesn't work. My friend has a windows xp laptop and he got his thrustmaster T300 to work with GPL. The G29 and the thrustmaster came out at about the same time.Have you installed the Logitech profiler.It may help and it doesn't hurt to download the drivers once more. You never know, the file may have been corrupted or incomplete. Maybe try this one   https://devid.info/e...usb    It's dated back to 2015/06/04.

#19 PTRACER

PTRACER

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:Motor racing

Posted Jan 12 2020 - 01:57 AM

View Postmarco lenarduzzi, on Jan 11 2020 - 06:49 PM, said:

It's strange that it doesn't work. My friend has a windows xp laptop and he got his thrustmaster T300 to work with GPL. The G29 and the thrustmaster came out at about the same time.Have you installed the Logitech profiler.It may help and it doesn't hurt to download the drivers once more. You never know, the file may have been corrupted or incomplete. Maybe try this one   https://devid.info/e......usb It's dated back to 2015/06/04.

It's not at all strange. Windows XP came out almost 20 years ago and ceased operating in April 2014. The G29 came out in 2015, Logitech did not write drivers for it. Also that link you just posted contains a malware program, not a driver.

Edited by PTRACER, Jan 12 2020 - 01:59 AM.

#20 marco lenarduzzi

marco lenarduzzi

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted Jan 12 2020 - 06:05 AM

Well TP I guess you could always install windows 7.I've scoured the web and couldn't find anything that might help.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links