- - - - -

Who Says They Don't Make Good Movies Anymore?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 webfoot

webfoot

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Interests:.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 17 2019 - 04:16 PM

View PostM Needforspeed, on Nov 17 2019 - 11:34 AM, said:

Talking of kiwis,does someone know what happened to the movie around Bruce McLaren life ?

Do you mean the documentary?  It has been on network TV over here in the UK.

https://www.imdb.com...ref_=fn_al_tt_1

#22 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,770 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted Nov 17 2019 - 05:02 PM

thanks, thats it ! Have you watched it  ? Wld it be available in DVD ?

Edited by M Needforspeed, Nov 17 2019 - 05:09 PM.

#23 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,770 posts

Posted Nov 17 2019 - 05:06 PM

View PostLee200, on Nov 17 2019 - 04:15 PM, said:

If you really want to get into all the details about Grand Prix, here is the link to Autosport's Nostalgia forum which has been actively examining the movie for the last 19 years!  :)

https://forums.autos...-the-out-takes/

Thanks Lee for the link . I will learn a lot too in this topic.

#24 Andreh

Andreh

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 203 posts
  • Interests:Pre-80's racing

Posted Nov 17 2019 - 08:33 PM

View PostLee200, on Nov 17 2019 - 04:15 PM, said:

If you really want to get into all the details about Grand Prix, here is the link to Autosport's Nostalgia forum which has been actively examining the movie for the last 19 years!  :)

https://forums.autos...-the-out-takes/

Wow!

#25 Saiph

Saiph

Still driving 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 2,112 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. simulations, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Nov 18 2019 - 12:29 AM

Thanks for the review of "Le Mans '66" Michel. I will definitely see it, either at the cinema or on DVD later.

#26 webfoot

webfoot

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 310 posts

Posted Nov 18 2019 - 09:23 AM

View PostM Needforspeed, on Nov 17 2019 - 05:02 PM, said:

thanks, thats it ! Have you watched it  ? Wld it be available in DVD ?

I enjoyed it, better than Senna in my opinion.

DVD is available and the Blu-Ray is only £2.99 at Amazon UK !!!

https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B06WVSSL1C

Edited by webfoot, Nov 18 2019 - 09:26 AM.

#27 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,492 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Nov 18 2019 - 12:41 PM

The 'Ford v. Ferrari' movie was all fluff.  Entertaining to watch ... but, it made me winch in many, many places.  Mainly disappointing was the timeline of cars shown.  Plus, the very unfortunate use of a MkII instead of a mocked-up J-car.  They could have found a substitute or green-screen image for the Riverside back straight.

#28 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,756 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Nov 18 2019 - 02:54 PM

View Posttwinpotter, on Jun 03 2019 - 02:24 PM, said:

Pity they couldn't get anybody better than Matt Damon

Will probably get dvd though on release and for my collection.

Thanks for the link Royale

TP:

He was good in Jason Bourne.

#29 Lord

Lord

Mr. Broken Gearbox

• Members
  • 200 posts
  • Interests:Formula 1, Football (Soccer), Grand Prix Legends and rFactor

Posted Nov 18 2019 - 03:38 PM

Didn't see the movie yet (10 bucks per admittance? Go stick your head in a kennel, thank you!), so... how did they handle the breakdown in negotiations?
That's kind of a dealbraker for me.

#30 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  • Interests:Mainly V12s
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Nov 20 2019 - 03:13 PM

I've seen the movie.

- Ford tried to buy Ferrari in 1963; negotiations failed because of the 10 million dollars clause, which wasn't enough for Ferrari to compete in all of the series he wanted to be in; the agreement with Fiat came much later, in 1968 and was finalised in 1969, after Ferrari reached for Alfa Romeo (Luraghi refused because they already had their racing programme with AutoDelta) and Lancia (which was even more bankrupt than Ferrari, and was in fact bought by Fiat too in 1969); it is true up to a certain extent that Ferrari tried to leverage the failed negotiation with Ford to get a better offer from someone else, but he was really interested in Ford and wasn't playing any major trick there, so big inaccuracy in the movie from multiple perspectives;

- Ferrari was very polite, especially in public; all those insults are a big insult to his memory, and major misinformation towards not people educated about the subject; Piero should sue them; I would, if he had been my father;

- Shelby, if I am not mistaken (here my american friends can help), was involved in the GT40 programme only after 1965, because of the results achieved with the Cobra and the Daytona, while it was held by Wyer before (who continued racing the original GT40 and won in '68 and '69 at Le Mans), who was discharged because of the poor results he got; another inaccuracy;

- Ferrari wasn't at Le Mans in 1966 LOL and certainly he wouldn't have been up for 24 hours straight;

- Not all people in Italy come from Napoli (pizza, pasta, mandolino) and have a distinct southern accent;

- No mention of Hansgen tragic accident, but at least he got some valuable screen time;

- Bandini got some screentime too, even though he has been depicted inaccurately;

- Drivers did not change gears every 5 seconds, a là Fast and Furious;

Plus more things, some already mentioned by the good people in this thread. Also, they did not make clear that in endurance racing cars were shared. My friend I was with was confused until I explained him how rules worked.

Something I want to mention though, is that the cinema was full of young people. This was striking to me. I think that there is an audience for classic racing movies, and there could be room for education and, who knows, maybe get some to become passionate about these cars, there tracks, these races and those times in general. If only these movies tried to be more authentic, like Grand Prix or Le Mans from McQueen did, instead of being just action packed. But after all, those were thought as some sort of cinema verité, a genre that simply doesn't work when trying to narrate the past. The problem with this movies however, like Rush, is that people exit the cinema excited, but very soon forget what they saw or understand a very distorted version of history.

Edited by leon_90, Nov 20 2019 - 03:17 PM.

#31 Lord

Lord

Mr. Broken Gearbox

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted Nov 21 2019 - 03:00 AM

View Postleon_90, on Nov 20 2019 - 03:13 PM, said:

I've seen the movie.

- Ford tried to buy Ferrari in 1963; negotiations failed because of the 10 million dollars clause, which wasn't enough for Ferrari to compete in all of the series he wanted to be in; the agreement with Fiat came much later, in 1968 and was finalised in 1969, after Ferrari reached for Alfa Romeo (Luraghi refused because they already had their racing programme with AutoDelta) and Lancia (which was even more bankrupt than Ferrari, and was in fact bought by Fiat too in 1969); it is true up to a certain extent that Ferrari tried to leverage the failed negotiation with Ford to get a better offer from someone else, but he was really interested in Ford and wasn't playing any major trick there, so big inaccuracy in the movie from multiple perspectives;

- Ferrari was very polite, especially in public; all those insults are a big insult to his memory, and major misinformation towards not people educated about the subject; Piero should sue them; I would, if he had been my father;

How bad can you be when the "Ferrari" fiction with Castellitto and Carlei is beating you hand over fist in the "accuracy" department? We're talking about a 1-2 million USD TV programme against a "god-knows-how-many" million USD Hollywood flick.

https://www.youtube....h?v=xHjaZOINuzE

View Postleon_90, on Nov 20 2019 - 03:13 PM, said:

Something I want to mention though, is that the cinema was full of young people. This was striking to me. I think that there is an audience for classic racing movies, and there could be room for education and, who knows, maybe get some to become passionate about these cars, there tracks, these races and those times in general. If only these movies tried to be more authentic, like Grand Prix or Le Mans from McQueen did, instead of being just action packed. But after all, those were thought as some sort of cinema verité, a genre that simply doesn't work when trying to narrate the past. The problem with this movies however, like Rush, is that people exit the cinema excited, but very soon forget what they saw or understand a very distorted version of history.

So, essentially this is to historic racing aficionados what the "Bohemian Rhapsody" movie has been to knowledgeable Queen fans: a load of inaccurate shite coated in a cute package. Pity.

#32 webfoot

webfoot

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 310 posts

Posted Nov 21 2019 - 04:14 AM

As above, do NOT go to see this film if you demand technical/historical accuracy.  Leon is spot on w.r.t the "Fast and Furious" racing scenes.

So many "changes for dramatic effect".  Too many to mention really, but to add to those mentioned above....

- Miles won Daytona by 8 laps not as depicted in the film
- Miles did race at Le Mans in 65
- Bale's brummie accent wasn't too bad, but clips i've heard of Miles' talking sounded far more of an RP accent.

If you can ignore the above, purley as film hokum, it was entertaining in particluar I really enjoyed.

- Glimpses of lot's of great cars.  Yes there were inaccuracies but with a little imagination.....
- Bale's use of the phrase "round the Wrekin".  :clap2:  and a few other Brummie colloquialisms.
- The recreated Le mans pit buildings were excellent (even though the track was more obviously an airport runway)

Edited by webfoot, Nov 21 2019 - 04:15 AM.

#33 Lord

Lord

Mr. Broken Gearbox

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted Nov 21 2019 - 06:17 AM

Alright, just saw the movie in a "not entirely authorized manner" (let's leave it at that, not going to pay 10 bucks on blind faith for a movie. It's not being stingy, it's being a "pennyless" university student ;) ), and... one thing is "bending History a little bit", and another is "Let's make FIAT buy Ferrari IN 1966, who's gonna notice?"

Me. The nitpicker. I've :angry33:ing noticed.
The totally unhistorical swearing from Ferrari was bad enough to make me question if it was on the verge of being outright defamatory because how ridiculous it was getting: seriously, we are talking about a man in his late 50's-early 60's that is swearing like a sailor and, by the end of the meeting he starts to talk in English? When he knew only Italian and French and, when dealing, was decise but calm? All of this in a dark, dingy ambiance? What is this, a mafia movie? Come on, this is :angry33:ing stupid.

Plus, anyone praising Shelby to that degree should have some time alone to quench that boner: all he did was take an AC Cobra/Aceca and fill the wasted engine bay space with a 427. Nothing more, nothing less. It's great that he did that, but it's not an engineering masterpiece either because everyone who drove those cars is onthe same opinion of it driving like a mad bronco, so calm your tits writer.

I have no qualms with the movie technically or action-wise, because, let's not kid ourselves, it's well made in that department: what bothers me is that this movie will spawn a whole horde of mouthbreathers who will blindly get this movie as reference for their knowledge and spout ::crap:: around. Essentially, as I said before, it will be like Bohemian Rhapsody: liked it for the movie it is, but made me cringe as a Queen fan because of the revisionism and the stupid fans it spawned.

Edited by Lord, Nov 21 2019 - 06:18 AM.

#34 marco lenarduzzi

marco lenarduzzi

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:racing sims,cars, F1,cooking,skiing

Posted Nov 23 2019 - 05:33 AM

The 24 Hour War documentary would be a better choice for accuracy about the battle of the two automotive titans. Here is a link to the trailer  https://www.youtube....h?v=csFnDoXQKvg

It's currently on Prime Video. I watched it the other night and I enjoyed it very much. I haven't seen the Ford vs Ferrari movie yet but I probably will. Hollywood never gets it right because they aren't in the business of educating but rather the business of entertaining. That's just the way it is. The bottom line for Hollywood is all about the money and the movie made about 80 million dollars in it's first weekend. It was number one . All we can hope is that it sparks some interest in some of the young people that go see it and they will eventually discover the true history.

#35 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,770 posts

Posted Nov 28 2019 - 09:42 AM

https://www.motorspo...ilCampaign#vote

I'm wondering what impact, if any, the new movie about Messrs. Shelby and Miles may have on this voting

Ken Miles is in the  2019 Motorsport Hall Of Fame inspiration award candidates . Sure  the movie release synchronised with the vote can help !

Attached Files

Edited by M Needforspeed, Nov 28 2019 - 09:49 AM.

#36 Saiph

Saiph

Still driving 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 2,112 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. simulations, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Nov 28 2019 - 10:44 AM

So my prediction about the film (http://srmz.net/inde...17) didn't quite come true? Oh well, one day I'll get it right..... ;) :D

#37 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,770 posts

Posted Nov 30 2019 - 09:28 AM

moment to point at a mag that did maybe the most complete review about Ken Miles career and highlights

Attached Files

Edited by M Needforspeed, Nov 30 2019 - 09:29 AM.

#38 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,770 posts

Posted Dec 08 2019 - 03:54 PM

communication around the film, the real men and their movie counterparts ...

Daytona Beach, FL — Anyone who has seen Ford v Ferrari, the blockbuster 20th Century Fox film depicting Ford Motor Company’s effort — spearheaded by Carroll Shelby (Matt Damon) and Ken Miles (Christian Bale) — to unseat Ferrari as the king of Le Mans, saw this before the credits rolled: “Revered by racing fans worldwide, Ken Miles was inducted into the Motorsports Hall of Fame.”

“The goal that our late president Ron Watson had from the outset was that induction into the Motorsports Hall of Fame of America would be seen as the ultimate motorsports credential just as with Cooperstown for baseball,” said George Levy, president of the MSHFA. “The mention in the film is proof that the goal is being realized.”

Miles  was inducted into the Motorsports Hall of Fame of America in 2001. Shelby preceded Miles into the Hall in 1992. And there were many more MSHFA inductees who had a role in Ford’s success at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1966, 1967, 1968 and 1969. Some were depicted in the movie and some were not. Other Hall of Famers took part in the 1966 race that saw the first-ever victory by an American car.

Phil Remington, Shelby’s master fabricator, played by Ray McKinnon, shared the screen quite a bit with Damon and Bale. He was inducted into the MSHFA this past March in the Class of 2019.

Remington, who died in 2013 at the age of 92, was presented for induction by his daughter, Kati Blackledge, who this year has finally seen her father gain some deserved recognition on both the silver screen and with his enshrinement into the MSHFA.

“The Motorsports Hall of Fame of America is a wonderful organization, and I was truly impressed when I set foot inside the museum for the first time when my dad was inducted,” Blackledge said. “I remember looking around and thinking it is very cool my dad is now part of something this big. To my knowledge, my father was never in a winner’s circle photograph his entire career. He cared about victories, but not the glory associated with winning. He had an internal satisfaction from winning, but never cared about the spotlight. Then, finally, the Motorsports Hall of Fame of America comes along with a call from Ron Watson saying this man — who literally spent his entire life winning races behind the scenes — is going to be inducted, and I thought, ‘finally he got the big win.'”

Including Shelby, Miles and Remington, nine different MSHFA inductees are portrayed by actors in the movie.

Denis Hulme, Miles’ co-driver in 1966, was played by race car and stunt driver Ben Collins. Hulme joined the Hall of Fame in 1998.

Bruce McLaren was inducted in 1995. Played by Benjamin Rigby in the movie, McLaren, like Miles, was one of Ford’s primary development drivers and won the 1966 race with co-driver Chris Amon.

1991 MSHFA inductee Dan Gurney won pole, set fastest lap and led the 1966 race comfortably before his Shelby American entry broke. He and A.J. Foyt (MSHFA Class of 1989) became the only Americans to win the race in an American-made car in 1967. Alex Gurney, Dan’s youngest son, played his father in the film.

John Holman and Ralph Moody also ran Ford GT40s in the 1966 Le Mans 24 Hours. A Holman & Moody entry finished third. Holman, who was inducted into the MSHFA along with his partner in 2005, was played by Christopher Dargah.

Actor Darrin Prescott played 2003 inductee Bob Bondurant who, along with 2013 inductee Masten Gregory, drove a North American Racing Team Ferrari 365 P2 at the 1966 24 Hours.

Lloyd Ruby, inducted in 2005 and played by Adam Mayfield, won the previous two legs of sports car racing’s Triple Crown (Daytona, Sebring and Le Mans) with Miles and was slated to drive with him at Le Mans before he crashed his plane two weeks prior to the race. “Hard Luck Lloyd” was sidelined for a month-and-a-half, missing his date with history.

The MSHFA’s 2020 induction ceremony will take place March 17.

Edited by M Needforspeed, Dec 08 2019 - 04:14 PM.

#39 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,756 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Dec 09 2019 - 07:56 AM

Fords side of the story without Hollyweird.

https://www.youtube....h?v=MTaNjOPv6OU

#40 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,707 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Dec 09 2019 - 09:13 AM

Long time ago rode shotgun in a 10sec Camaro down a narrow blacktop between rice fields in northern Arkansas, close in straight line performance to a Lotus 49 I think.
Didn't make me cry but did tense up a bit.

Would be happy to see again despite some too maudlin family scenes that lasted too long for my cold blooded racer heart.

Willow Springs on Willow Server btw
(minutes from now)
:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links