Newer Op Systems Compatibility With Gpl ?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 arizona coyote

arizona coyote

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 26 2013 - 06:07 PM

I have a 4 year old computer with Windows XP pro 500 gig HD and plenty memory, etc. Anyway, GPL runs
perfectly on this machine. My Computer fix it man at Data Doctors tells me that GPL and other older sims
will probably not be compatible with the newer op systems, Win 7 & 8 and also the newer machines are too
fast for thes older sims, he claims. Can anybody out there tell me what to expect, are any of you running these newer, faster
machines with good GPL results with Win 7 & 8 ?
Thanks, Paul in Scottsdale Arizona

#2 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted Apr 26 2013 - 06:23 PM

Hi Paul.

I drive GPL in a brand new Intel core-i7 computer with Windows 7 and integrated "HD4000 graphic card" and it works flawless with both 36fps and 60fps.

Best wishes, Marcos.

#3 arizona coyote

arizona coyote

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted Apr 26 2013 - 06:33 PM

View Postmcmirande, on Apr 26 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

Hi Paul.

I drive GPL in a brand new Intel core-i7 computer with Windows 7 and integrated "HD4000 graphic card" and it works flawless with both 36fps and 60fps.

Best wishes, Marcos.

Marcos,
I can't tell you how happy I am to hear this, thank you very much were you able to copy your GPL files from your previous computer or did you have tp start all over with a new GPL install to Windows7?  Starting over gets colplicated with all the mods so many of us have in our GPL files, I doubt if I could
start from scratch and duplicate what I have now ~~~~~~~~~ your thoughts and experience ??

#4 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,320 posts

Posted Apr 26 2013 - 06:53 PM

If you use the GLPS installer at http://gplps.wordpre...-gpl-installer/ to start with, it should be pretty quick, easy and trouble-free with all MSoft OSs.  The installer download will be far and away the most time consuming.  Same with the mods, but if you've already dl'ed them and saved them it shouldn't be too bad.  Make sure to read the mod read-mes.

#5 arizona coyote

arizona coyote

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted Apr 26 2013 - 06:56 PM

View PostBob Simpson, on Apr 26 2013 - 06:53 PM, said:

If you use the GLPS installer at http://gplps.wordpre...-gpl-installer/ to start with, it should be pretty quick, easy and trouble-free with all MSoft OSs.  The installer download will be far and away the most time consuming.  Same with the mods, but if you've already dl'ed them and saved them it shouldn't be too bad.  Make sure to read the mod read-mes.

you guys are awesome with all this assistance, thank you all again

#6 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 802 posts

Posted Apr 26 2013 - 07:04 PM

I copied my previous installation to the new computer and it also worked.
However, the new installer has the newest graphical improvements for papy tracks and original cars, which make its download time and additional work a very good choice!

Best wishes, Marcos.

Edit: There's somewhere a thread about GPL and Win8. I didn't try it personally but all guys there said that it also works without problems. But, I think in that case is most secure to start a new installation

Edited by mcmirande, Apr 26 2013 - 07:06 PM.

#7 arizona coyote

arizona coyote

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted Apr 27 2013 - 08:05 AM

View Postmcmirande, on Apr 26 2013 - 07:04 PM, said:

However, the new installer has the newest graphical improvements for papy tracks and original cars, which make its download time and additional work a very good choice!

Best wishes, Marcos.

Edit: There's somewhere a thread about GPL and Win8. I didn't try it personally but all guys there said that it also works without problems. But, I think in that case is most secure to start a new installation

Based upon all the responses, there is no conflict due to the older 32 bit machines like mine and the newer 64 bit machines? This is one area
where my computer repair guy said there would be a serious conflict with these older sims.

#8 Andy Clegg

Andy Clegg

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 522 posts
  • Interests:Long distance sports car racing. Touring cars.

Posted Apr 27 2013 - 08:34 AM

I've Windows 8, it works well.

#9 dbell84

dbell84

Dan Gurney For President

• Supporter
  • 921 posts
  • Interests:Whatever

Posted Apr 27 2013 - 10:53 AM

View Postarizona coyote, on Apr 27 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

View Postmcmirande, on Apr 26 2013 - 07:04 PM, said:

Best wishes, Marcos.

Based upon all the responses, there is no conflict due to the older 32 bit machines like mine and the newer 64 bit machines? This is one area
where my computer repair guy said there would be a serious conflict with these older sims.

Quite the contrary.  I have Windows 7 64bit and have used GPL with it for over a year now.  It works better on W7 than XP in my experience.  Sound alone is a big improvement.

Your computer guy is probably correct in that a lot of older games won't work well or at all with modern pc's. However, GPL still has an active community that has upgraded GPL over the years.  New rasterizers, graphical updates, and whole host of other fixes allow it run with todays OS's with little trouble.  With the installer that's available now, installing GPL is usually pain free.

Dave

Edited by dbell84, Apr 27 2013 - 10:55 AM.

#10 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie & 917 addict

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  • Interests:travel, music, racing, vintage cars, model cars

Posted Apr 27 2013 - 01:49 PM

I'm onto my 2nd or 3rd Win7 machine now and they all ran GPL just fine. As in does it run on the faster machines? I would think it does :) and quite well, too. Actually if you have all the patches (they come with the latest all-in-one installer written by bernd) installed it will probably run better than ever before. I for one can't really complain. It even runs in SLI mode, not that that matters, though, since it doesn't half use the available power of a single modern graphics card, let alone two or more.
And I've also done copy installs and fresh installs alike - both work. The latest one is a fresh one since my last install was way too clogged up with mods, in progress mods and other stuff. It was a giant mess - but still working as fresh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links