- - - - -

Historical Mod 67 - Does It Replace The Default 67 Season?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jun 21 2017 - 09:38 AM

I have read that Jackie Stewart answered to somebody that he didn't remember have been said that thing about GPL and that, actually, he didn't know anything about the sim...

So... I don't know if he never said it or he just have bad memory...

#17 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 775 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jun 21 2017 - 10:09 AM

The one professional input I recall was Ron Tauranac laughing when he saw the setup menu, saying something to the effect of "we wished we had that many options back then".   I read somewhere that Jim Clark asked for one change to his Lotus the entire season, ran a few laps and undid the change.

Which points out a major difference in racing fifty years ago and today - at one time the driver was expected to adapt to the track, and the car was virtually unchanged;  today the car is optimized for each track, and the driver's style is virtually unchanged.

#18 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,257 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Jun 21 2017 - 10:17 AM

I've tried the same setup that was what I think as middle of the road at all tracks. Surprisingly, my lap times didn't change much.

#19 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,450 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted Jun 21 2017 - 11:02 AM

View Postjgf, on Jun 21 2017 - 10:09 AM, said:

The one professional input I recall was Ron Tauranac laughing when he saw the setup menu, saying something to the effect of "we wished we had that many options back then".   I read somewhere that Jim Clark asked for one change to his Lotus the entire season, ran a few laps and undid the change.

Which points out a major difference in racing fifty years ago and today - at one time the driver was expected to adapt to the track, and the car was virtually unchanged;  today the car is optimized for each track, and the driver's style is virtually unchanged.

Back to those days, to summarize the infos collected on my 1967 racing cars doc :

-during practice sessions, they had the choice between 2/3 differents tyres compound, and some drivers tried differents roll bars
( Graham Hill is famous being a nuisance for his mechanics ) .Most of them tweaked only the stiffness.

- They played with different tyres pressures

- They adjusted bump and rebound, fitted extra spacers for bumpy tracks.

- A few gears adjustments

The differential settings were decided at the factory between races. it doesn't mean they tweaked it for each race. Never found one info stating they changed ramp angle at evening / night  work between sessions.

Edited by M Needforspeed, Jun 21 2017 - 04:55 PM.

#20 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,742 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Jun 21 2017 - 12:05 PM

View Postmcmirande, on Jun 21 2017 - 09:38 AM, said:

I have read that Jackie Stewart answered to somebody that he didn't remember have been said that thing about GPL and that, actually, he didn't know anything about the sim...

So... I don't know if he never said it or he just have bad memory...

I've been a regular around SRMZ & other GPL forums and websites since 2004, and the only time I've seen Jackie Stewart associated with GPL is when someone posted a photo (might have been a video) of him watching someone else driving around the Montjuich Park circuit in a GPL 1969 mod car. He was asked if the circuit looked accurate, and I think he was reported to have given a non-commital answer (something like 'it was a long time ago'). But I've never seen any story of Jackie actually driving GPL himself, or commenting on the accuracy of the sim as a whole.

If any other GPL vets have better info or a link to an old post, please speak up and enlighten us. :thumbup:

#21 tikfas

tikfas

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted Jun 21 2017 - 12:41 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=CZ0wyrWp1x0

Edited by tikfas, Jun 21 2017 - 12:42 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links