• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Mainly interested in two sims: GPL (and mods) and Nascar 2003 Season (and mods).
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 05 2017 - 07:02 PM

Can anyone explain what is going on here???  That's just plain daft!

https://www.amazon.c...s=DiRT Rally PC

Old Simmer
Andre Ming

#2 Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

• Supporter
  • 810 posts
  • Interests:GPL; Model Cars; Photography. Assetto Corsa

Posted Sep 06 2017 - 01:09 AM

Misprint ?  
Query Amazon

#3 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,325 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Sep 06 2017 - 03:36 AM

Here but UK.
Know you can order online. Not sure if they send international?
Put dirt in search box. £2.50 uk pounds.

https://uk.m.webuy.com/

Support contact
https://uk.m.webuy.com/site/support

TP:

Edited by twinpotter, Sep 06 2017 - 03:39 AM.

#4 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,742 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Sep 06 2017 - 04:04 AM

Maybe they're hoping that a clumsy person will click on the "one-click" order button by accident!

#5 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,405 posts
  • Interests:My Girlfriend

Posted Sep 06 2017 - 08:27 AM

Gold edition :)

#6 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Sep 06 2017 - 09:43 AM

Just a very opportunistic seller, the game isn't rare of expensive at all.

#7 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Mainly interested in two sims: GPL (and mods) and Nascar 2003 Season (and mods).

Posted Sep 06 2017 - 04:53 PM

Thanks for your input fella's. I knew immediately I wasn't touching ANY of the buttons on that page!!

As for Dirt Rally:

TP:

Didn't readily see a DVD copy when I searched on the UK "we buy" website. I'll look again when I have more time later tonight.

All:

What are the pitfalls of purchasing and downloading via "Steam"?  Am I assuming correctly that purchasing a download off Amazon or eBay will likely result in being referred to "Steam"?

Lastly: Will my computer HAVE to have an active internet connection before I can even launch the installed Dirt Rally game/sim? In otherwords, does it have the ability to be played OFFLINE?

Thanks for your patience. At $59.99 (Amazon), that's not a sum to sneeze at so I'm trying to determine if I'll be satisfied with the constraints of purchasing (Steam) and whether the game can be played offline, i.e., independent of online presence.

All fer now... off to church!

Old Simmer
Andre Ming

#8 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 692 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Sep 06 2017 - 06:17 PM

Amazons algorithm striking again I guess. You'd think they sorted the bugs out after all these years.

Anyway the internet says no to constant internet connection required for playing the game. Just activate on steam and you are good to go. Speaking of steam most sites will sell you a steam code, not even sure if the physical copy isn't just a steam code in a box.

That said given the game is at full price at the moment I'd wait until a steam sale. If you are a little patient you should be able to get 50% off. There is usually a steam sale around Halloween if not earlier. This site is good for keeping track of price changes.

#9 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,325 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Sep 06 2017 - 07:17 PM

On the CEX we buy link just type in dirt pc and click the search spy glass.

Have you tried ebay http://m.ebay.co.uk/...S0&_nkw=dirt pc

As far as I know Steams advantage is that games are updated and patched. If you have to buy your own game disc you have to update and patch yourself usually.
I think you can play games offline on Steam  https://support.stea...=3160-agcb-2555

TP:

Edited by twinpotter, Sep 06 2017 - 07:17 PM.

#10 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted Sep 06 2017 - 08:38 PM

Mickov:

When it comes to gaming, I'm not noted for my patience. :lol:  But in this case, I may try to exercise patience. However, I DO have Richard Burns Rally up and going on my old XP machine... so at least I have a decent rally sim to play! (Even if it looks drab graphically in comparison to modern games... but the car handling is pretty cool!)

TP:

I know I seem to be wringing my hands over this "Steam" thing, but the reason I'm hung up on it is because one game I purchased via download, ended up REQUIRING a connection before it would even launch. I learned this during an internet outage. I OFTEN use PC gaming as a way to entertain myself during times our internet is down. (Which is often.) If it HAS to be connected before it will launch, then one of the best times for game play just got poop-canned.

Anyway, from what I read in the description section (link below), it appears that even a PC/DVD version of Dirt Rally REQUIRES Steam in order to activate the game. Now I wonder again: Is this only a ONE TIME activation... or required every time you start the game?

http://www.ebay.co.u...MUAAOSwxVpZjiwb

Hate to admit it, but I'm a bit confused with all this "new way" of downloading, activation, Steam, etc... my head hurts.

It used to be SO much simpler:

1. See a game you can't live without.

2. Purchase said game (only came on CD or DVD).

3. Install game.

4. Euphoria: Play 'til you drop.

:D

Thanks again to all you for exercising patience in dealing with me. I tend to overthink purchases. :P

Old Simmer
Andre Ming

#11 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,661 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Sep 07 2017 - 03:02 AM

Now I know why you are so keen on being able to play offline, because your internet is down often. ;)

Steam makes it pretty easy to buy and download games and to keep them updated.
If you will use Steam make sure that you deactivate that it starts with windows as you don`t need it running in the background all the time.
I only start Steam when I want to play or check for updates or news and so on.
And Steam starts in the background when I start DiRT Rally, DiRT 4 or any other game via my desktop links anyway.

I really don`t know if you need to be online to start DiRT Rally or DiRT 4.
I will check myself tonight by unplugging my network cable of my router or of my PC tonight befor I start DiRT Rally and also DiRT 4 and report.

:wave:

Edit: Inspired by your posts I played DiRT Rally again. I haven`t done so since DiRT 4 was relased.
I set the same Force Feedback settings for DiRT Rally as I use for DiRT 4 (wheel Thrustmaster T500 RS) as they where slightly different and it did feel quite the same,
only that DiRT Rally seems to have less grip. I like both physics.
Old Simmer, in case you will buy one of them (or both) you will for sure love the sounds. Rally cars never sounded so good in any game, especially the historic ones. :)

Edited by Stefan Roess, Sep 07 2017 - 03:09 AM.

#12 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted Sep 07 2017 - 04:52 AM

Hi Stefan:

Online/offline: I anxiously await your findings.

Yes, I would be interested acquiring both Dirt Rally and Dirt 4.  One of the things I'm coming to like about "rally" (real and simulated) is that it's the type of competition that most closely resembles what I enjoy doing in real life: Riding "dual sport" (street legal) off road motorcycles. I have ridden motorcycles off road since 1969. So, it seems like a small way of indulging in the fun of riding the mountains while at the comfort of my computer!

Also, I'm beginning to think that real rally drivers are among the best skilled competition drivers in the world. What they can do with a vehicle is amazing. Like this:

https://www.youtube....jeydU1KvU&t=12s

Wow!

Old Simmer
Andre Ming

#13 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 692 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Sep 07 2017 - 04:59 AM

View PostOld Simmer, on Sep 06 2017 - 08:38 PM, said:

I know I seem to be wringing my hands over this "Steam" thing, but the reason I'm hung up on it is because one game I purchased via download, ended up REQUIRING a connection before it would even launch. I learned this during an internet outage. I OFTEN use PC gaming as a way to entertain myself during times our internet is down. (Which is often.) If it HAS to be connected before it will launch, then one of the best times for game play just got poop-canned.

Anyway, from what I read in the description section (link below), it appears that even a PC/DVD version of Dirt Rally REQUIRES Steam in order to activate the game. Now I wonder again: Is this only a ONE TIME activation... or required every time you start the game?

I think its a one time activation on steam for DIRT Rally. That's why I said its a steam code in a box. But after that it should work offline. Maybe Stefan can confirm, by trying to launch his copy while disconnected from the internet just to be sure.

This is more for Stefan, but the desktop links used to launch games on steam aren't shortcuts to the game exe but to the steam client software which in turn launches the game. Take a look at their properties vs a normal shortcut to see what I mean. There are .exe files for each game as well but you need to dig into the steam apps folder on your HD to find them.

http://www.ebay.co.u...MUAAOSwxVpZjiwb

Hate to admit it, but I'm a bit confused with all this "new way" of downloading, activation, Steam, etc... my head hurts.

It used to be SO much simpler:

1. See a game you can't live without.

2. Purchase said game (only came on CD or DVD).

3. Install game.

4. Euphoria: Play 'til you drop.

:D

Thanks again to all you for exercising patience in dealing with me. I tend to overthink purchases. :P

No worries, I've been there. Now I cant remember when I bought game in  a store :D.

That said Steam has a refund policy. I've not had to use it yet but I hear it works well.

#14 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,325 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Sep 07 2017 - 05:04 AM

@ Old Simmer.
I have an original dirt game on the pc. Had trouble installing it because of what I am sure is starforce protection.
I know with some games you can get an original disc before Steam as bought the rights and install as normal like the good old days.
I have a few games like that,pre Steam them later Steam gets them for digital download.
Also wether you digital download from Steam,you sometimes get a game disc that needs you to join and activate Steam.
Sometimes I would buy an old pc game which was related to Steam and many time had to throw in the bin,because the Steam code had been previously activated and I was unable to reclaim a fresh code.
Could never understand why Steam would never let you purchase another code for an old game. There is supposed to be a redeem a code,but it never worked for me.
Go figure.

TP:

#15 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted Sep 07 2017 - 03:27 PM

Thanks Michkov and TP for additonal input.

Reads like I need to shy away from a pre-owned DVD! It would suck in a major way to not be able to activate it via Steam after having laid out the $$!

It's more and more sounding like I need to bite the bullet and purchase new through Amazon (which needs downloaded/activated through Steam) or Steam itself. (Though I have not seen a PC version of Dirt Rally offered on Steam, only game box versions.)

I will watch the prices for a while and hope for a sale.

Old Simmer
Andre Ming

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links