Adam Howard

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Racing, History, Gaming, Space
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 16 2020 - 08:43 AM

Hello everyone!  I re-installed GPL a few months ago after a years-long hiatus, and for a while everything worked fine, though I didn't play very often.  The last few weeks I've played more frequently and without a problem.  Over the last few days I've begun to have serious problems, and I'm not sure if it's related to my anti-virus, drivers, or corrupt files.  Here's what I've had:

!) It started with "Cannot Load Track" errors for some of the new 67 historic tracks (specifically Spa67 and Monocane); I eventually decided to uninstall GEM and delete my Sierra\GPL folders and start with a new install.
2) Installed GPL (1.08 installer), set up my players for the Mods I intended to install, and installed the tracks to test them.  Everything worked fine.  Installed GEM, everything worked fine with the new tracks with my base 67 player.
3) Moved on to installing mods, beginning with the 65 mod.  This time I installed the tracks, the mod, then the full 2018 update and updated layout.  Then my anti-virus (Norton, using it's SONAR feature) started blocking the 65 exe created by GEM.  After several tries, I managed to get it to run after disabling SONAR completely.
4) Then I stated getting problems with a black screen upon starting GPL from GEM, no matter which mod I used.  I have to alt-F4 out of the game and end it in the task manager; when I restart GEM, the rasterizer pull-down menu is blank.  If I select the rasterizer again, I still get a black screen when I start GPL.  This also occurs if I run the gpl.exe directly.
5) Decided to re-name my sierra directory and do another fresh install, this time to F:\GPL.  I ran the 1.3 exe and created a player.  After going to a track, selecting the GP car, adjusting the setup, I get a CTD when I hit the button to enter the car.

Also, somewhere along the way, GEM started refusing to save or recognize custom configurations for graphics and controls (I had them set previously when everything was working.

Sorry for the long-ish post, but this is really starting to frustrate me.  I was having a lot of fun driving the 65 cars again and trying out the 67x cars, and now I can't seem to do anything.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Here's my machine specs:

Processor:  Intel Core i3 6100 @3.7Ghz
RAM:   8Gb
Graphics:  Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650
Monitor:  1920x1080 75Hz refresh rate

EDIT:  I should add that originally I was using the D3DV2 rasterizer, but switched to OpenGLV2 hoping it would help with my track loading problem somehow.  Also when I hit the green enter track button, a large grayish square appears in that corner of the screen right before the CTD.

Edited by Adam Howard, Oct 16 2020 - 08:48 AM.

#2 Millennium

Millennium

ErikGPL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Oct 16 2020 - 02:05 PM

CTD when entering the car is usually because of DEP. Make sure to add all the GPL executables to the DEP exception list in Windows.

#3 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, MotoGP

let's have a free choice
    Linux

Posted Oct 16 2020 - 04:38 PM

And try to run a session without any Norton

Edited by Cookie, Oct 16 2020 - 04:41 PM.

#4 Adam Howard

Adam Howard

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted Oct 16 2020 - 05:51 PM

Thanks for the suggestions!  I think the DEP coupled with my anti-virus was the culprit.  Once I finally figured out how to exclude the GEM and GPL mod exes from DEP and Norton, everything seems to be working.  It's a pain going into Windows Security to add each file to the exclusion individually, but it's worth it!

#5 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,117 posts

Posted Oct 16 2020 - 06:19 PM

I can see why this would be frustrating. Try the DEP thing on the new install, whitelist the whole GPL install, GEM acts a bit too much like a virus for modern AVs tastes, to be clear it isn't one just looks that way.

For the future, could not load track errors are track or mod related and do not warrant nuking the entire install.

EDIT: You can whitelist whole folders instead of individual files, you need to google it for your AV for exact instructions.

Edited by Michkov, Oct 16 2020 - 06:20 PM.

#6 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,123 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Oct 16 2020 - 11:45 PM

FWIW, DEP since Vista has been quite onerous, often blocking valid software due to its considering any editing of "registered" exe files to be malware activity (and in Vista it considered any attempt to whitelist a blocked exe to also be the work of malware).

GEM creates GPL mods by copying gpl.exe, renaming and editing the copy.  The GTP mod for N2k3 functions by copying the nascar.exe, naming the copy temp.exe and editing it for your options, then deleting it on program exit.  Both of these will trigger DEP and get blocked.  I've encountered patches for some games and programs that got blocked because they edit an exe.

Great in theory, DEP is, in my opinion, quite flawed in application;  so much so that I've disabled it on every system for over ten years.  This is not a recommendation for anyone else to do so, but I've never regretted it.

#7 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, MotoGP

let's have a free choice
    Linux

Posted Oct 17 2020 - 01:46 AM

OR

use any Linux

#8 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 2,809 posts
  • Interests:racing :)

Posted Oct 17 2020 - 03:24 AM

GPLsecrets (GEM+, iGOR) also stores files in your user documents folder (default is on drive C:). Make sure you also exclude them from DEP and your Antiv Virus program.

Note to myself: Add DEP and AV info to my next version of the Easy Installation Guide.

Edited by Stefan Roess, Oct 17 2020 - 03:25 AM.

#9 Millennium

Millennium

ErikGPL

• Members
  • 669 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Oct 17 2020 - 04:01 AM

In my experience it sometimes also depends on the mod. When I moved to Windows 10 I could not get the 1966 and SC mod to run, turned out I also had to add their executables to a 'Host-based Intrusion Prevention System' exclusion list in ESET Internet security.

So that's exclusions to DEP, Firewall and HIPS just to get one mod running. (And ofcourse a custom profile in the GPU drivers)

#10 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 3,285 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Oct 17 2020 - 04:12 AM

About DEP; I always used this settings in win7 and never had problems; never had to touch it.
Attached File  DEP.jpg   94.79K   27 downloads

Does win10 has different settings or you guys just want to keep the DEP active for every program on purpose? :unsure:

#11 Adam Howard

Adam Howard

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted Oct 17 2020 - 05:45 AM

Stefan, good point, I'll have to do that before I play again.

Ginetto, that is in the windows 10 control panel, but in the settings app in can only be on or off.  You can specify overrides for individual files, which is what I'm having to do.  It would be easier if it would allow me to specify folders the way Norton does.

Edited by Adam Howard, Oct 17 2020 - 01:23 PM.

#12 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,123 posts

Posted Oct 17 2020 - 11:25 AM

View PostCookie, on Oct 17 2020 - 01:46 AM, said:

OR

use any Linux

If I could get all my favorite games to run in Linux without requiring the expertise of a programming guru to configure the emulators there would be nothing Micro$oft on my system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links