pioujd428

Chris

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Interests:1967 and 1968
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Feb 28 2015 - 01:20 AM

Fat Rich it is so good to hear you are working on the missing Tasman tracks.

I wish you all the best I can with your efforts. :clap2:

Edited by pioujd428, Feb 28 2015 - 01:22 AM.

#22 SPman

SPman

Bob Anderson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Golden Era F1 (1960-1990)
    Flying
    Motorbikes
    Steam engines

Posted Apr 01 2015 - 12:15 AM

View PostFat Rich, on Feb 24 2015 - 09:03 AM, said:

Yup, that's Teretonga. It's taken forever to get the track this far as there seems to be very little info out there, I've trawled through all sorts of stuff trying to find out what it looked like.

It looks a flat and ordinary track on paper but I was very pleasantly surprised how nice it is to drive, even the very first version without any altitudes. It's got a really good flow to it and the 64 to 66 version has a tricky last corner leading onto the long start / finish straight (sadly it's gone in the 67 version). Also Timing Tower Corner (now called Castrol Corner) has a fairly awkward curved entry a bit like a smaller version of turn 1 at Mexico. A nice little track.

I did a quick version of Pukekohe expecting that to be fun too, somehow it seems a bit ordinary. Maybe with some more work it'll turn out nice but I'll focus on Teretonga for now.
All sounds good. Puke is a much needed track - I've ridden and driven on Puke - both versions (I'm old).
For photos of action in the day, a good trawl through photo's, forum posts on this site, http://www.theroarin...eral-Discussion should bring up plenty of old Teretonga stuff - or just ask some of the members. Cheers

#23 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.

Posted Apr 01 2015 - 10:44 AM

Thanks, I've been waiting for info on Teretonga but it's been delayed for various reasons (being on the other side of the planet doesn't help) so I've been getting on with the basic layout of Pukekohe instead.

How good is your memory? Could you talk us through a lap? It would be great to know about camber, dips at apexes of corners, large bumps and elevation changes. So far I've got:

A slight rise over the start finish straight (they moved the startline back to the end of the pitlane in '65 I think)
Slight downhill to the Elbow, maybe a dip at the apex? Hard to tell.
Out of the elbow past the stables and under the Dunlop bridge
Downhill entry into the GP loop... but how sharply downhill? Cars seem to disappear in the footage.
Track levels off as the corner opens up and then a fairly level run up the the 90ish degree corner alongside the railway
Slight uphill entry into this corner, maybe slight dip in the apex here too?
Long straight alongside the railway with a very slight crest where the tracks bends to the right
Level or downhill entry to the hairpin?
Hairpin seems very cambered and bowl shaped, now there's a huge dip at the apex but was it there in the 60s?
Fairly level exit from hairpin, slightly longer straight than now where the following corner has been eased
Then an uphill left hand bend that's much tighter than the current layout, followed by a dip down where the run off areas narrow over a ditch
Then uphill again and a right hander (alongside a cut in the bank alongside the track)
Then another dip and rise over the start line again

Some first hand info about the circuit in the 60s would be invaluable!

These videos might jog your memory:

https://www.youtube....z4_2bh&index=69
https://www.youtube....h?v=YWN_2W96ULE
https://www.youtube....h?v=UJQXmIAgEf8
https://www.youtube....h?v=8UZLuCbPw9g

I've already trawled though theroaringseason.com for Teretonga info, will do the same for Pukekohe..... it's a fantastic site full of great info and enthusiam. A bit like SRMZ really! :up:

Edited by Fat Rich, Apr 01 2015 - 10:49 AM.

#24 C_Stephens

C_Stephens

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted Apr 04 2015 - 04:57 PM

Alot of these tracks were made for Nascar Racing 2003, wether the aussie v8 mod or just others. Couldn't alot of the textures or 3do's be converted and used, if the original track creators agreed of course?. I know 2 versions of Pukekohe, a Teretonga? I'm not sure on accuracy at all but it might save some time if alot of the buildings and such were usable,even if they had to be retextured, no?

#25 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted Apr 05 2015 - 02:50 AM

View PostC_Stephens, on Apr 04 2015 - 04:57 PM, said:

Alot of these tracks were made for Nascar Racing 2003, wether the aussie v8 mod or just others. Couldn't alot of the textures or 3do's be converted and used, if the original track creators agreed of course?. I know 2 versions of Pukekohe, a Teretonga? I'm not sure on accuracy at all but it might save some time if alot of the buildings and such were usable,even if they had to be retextured, no?

Thanks for the info, I hadn't realised they were available for NR2003, I'll have to check those versions out. I've heard that it's difficult to get anything from more modern games converted into a clean, optimised format for GPL but I guess it's more possible to get things from NR2003. Although drawing this stuff up actually takes less time than the research involved in getting the tracks accurate :).

Both tracks look very different now to how they did in the 60s, although the track layouts are very similar the buildings have all changed. Pretty much the only building that is still at Pukekohe from the 60s is the distinctive main grandstand but the rFactor track builders don't seem to have bothered to draw it accurately and have just used a generic grandstand instead. Same story at Teretonga, I'm hoping we can do better than the rFactor versions.

Edit: Installed them but they broke my NR2003 install for some reason :D Found a couple of videos on Youtube and they also look very different to the 60s versions of the tracks so I'll keep plugging away using the maps, videos and photographs I've found.

Edited by Fat Rich, Apr 05 2015 - 03:51 AM.

#26 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted Apr 08 2015 - 02:41 AM

I got NR2003 working again and tried Pukekohe and Teretonga, good work by the track builders, much better than the rFactor versions.

No real surprises at Pukekohe, but there's a lot of camber on the Teretonga track which I'm not entirely convinced about. I'll double check all the videos and 60s photos and see if I need to make any adjustments, however at the moment the lap times are pretty realistic and if I start adding lots more camber they'll be much too fast.

Thanks for letting me know about these versions, it's all useful information although I won't be reusing any of the 3dos or textures, the circuits have changed too much :)

Edited by Fat Rich, Apr 08 2015 - 02:42 AM.

#27 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,526 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Apr 10 2015 - 07:52 AM

I've been driving Longford in AC. More of a drive in the country than a track, but pretty fun.

#28 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted Apr 10 2015 - 08:47 AM

Did you end up in the field at the end of the long straight?

I went so far in I couldn't find the track again :D

#29 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,526 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Apr 10 2015 - 11:02 AM

View PostFat Rich, on Apr 10 2015 - 08:47 AM, said:

Did you end up in the field at the end of the long straight?

I went so far in I couldn't find the track again :D

I sure did. Not much warning a 90 degree turn was coming up.

#30 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted May 26 2015 - 08:18 AM

Just a little Tasman update, I plan to focus on Teretonga but do bits and pieces on the other tracks when I get frustrated and need a change :D

Teretonga: Have now got some great information (a book and a DVD) and made some changes, I'm now confident about the layout and levels of this track. Still lots of track side objects to draw up, the fans built their own grandstands using tipper trucks, sheep lorries or scaffolding poles and tarpaulins..... each one is different :really: . Plus it's become clear the surroundings of the track looked much more sparse than my current GPL version ("What utter desolation" said Stirling Moss in 1962 :D) so lots of work still to do there. I'm trying to to get the banks around the circuit to look overgrown with gorse and lupins, something that's quite tricky in GPL although there are a couple of places on the Spa 67 track that achieve this, it's given me some ideas. Whether the resulting track will run on anyone's PC remains to be seen!

Pukekohe: Fairly happy with the layout (65 version) and levels but a lot of work still to do with the surroundings... lots of buildings to make. Lap times seem to be about right and it's quite a challenging track, particularly The Elbow. When I'm 100% happy with the layout I'll make a 67 layout too.

Warwick Farm: I put a basic layout in over the weekend to see what it's like to drive, much tighter and technical than I was expecting. It seems to be a fairly flat track with just a rise and dip on the Hume straight, however there's not so much footage of the back of the circuit (Dunlop Bridge, Creek Corner, The Esses / Shell Bridge) I've a feeling there are some level changes there too.. Unlike the other two tracks I don't have any terrain info or onboard lap footage to judge the levels so if anyone has anything that might help, please let know. Lap times seem about right which is good news, haven't even started on the surroundings yet.

Longford: Received a book about the track (Barry Green: Longford, Fast Track Back) but not really thinking too much about this one yet. However, if someone wants to send me the build files the Tasman team started it would be great to start familiarising myself.

I thought that "GPL time" didn't apply to me and I'd get these tracks built quite quickly, I seem to spend hours putting data in for very little progress :yikesss: Will keep plugging away :far-side:

Edited by Fat Rich, May 26 2015 - 08:25 AM.

#31 davef

davef

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 2,056 posts
  • Interests:Auto Racing

Posted May 26 2015 - 10:43 PM

Thanks Rich ! :up:

These will be a great addition to the Tasman carsets & existing tracks. :woohoo2:

#32 ReneLotus

ReneLotus

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted May 27 2015 - 11:24 AM

Thanks for the update!

#33 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,490 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted May 27 2015 - 02:24 PM

Dunlop bridge seen from Creek . Can it help ? :wave:

Creek corner saw two crashes in 1967 . Leo geogeghan Lotus 39 and Spencer Martin Brabham

at least, there are the wood barrier shape for the track surroundings.

Edited by M Needforspeed, May 27 2015 - 02:32 PM.

#34 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,490 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted May 27 2015 - 02:37 PM

Denny Hulme at the Esses, going to the Shell Bridge; Armco got a pale green paint.You 'll note the double Armco that start here.

He already tried big slides, that he wld master at Monaco hairpins that year

Attached Files

Edited by M Needforspeed, May 27 2015 - 02:42 PM.

#35 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted May 27 2015 - 03:13 PM

Thanks for those, looks like the entry to Creek Corner might be downhill... will study the videos again!

It's great to have some colour images too, most of the video and photos are B&W. Not sure if the armco is actually green though, the whole photo looks like it might be a bit green heavy? However they look like fairly new barriers, so maybe the silver is reflecting the green trees and surroundings. Or maybe they're just painted green :D

Thanks for the info, it all helps :up:

Edited by Fat Rich, May 27 2015 - 03:13 PM.

#36 Bruce

Bruce

Sir

• Members
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted May 27 2015 - 03:58 PM

View PostFat Rich, on May 27 2015 - 03:13 PM, said:

Thanks for those, looks like the entry to Creek Corner might be downhill... will study the videos again!
The grade, from the start of Hume Straight to Dunlop Bridge, was very slight.
From the bridge to the corner itself there was a tad more. But Don't go overboard on the gradient....better to err on the side of subtlety.

Not sure if the armco is actually green though
They were....but not a bright or gloss green. Rather dull and faded by the end of the circuit's life.

#37 Bruce

Bruce

Sir

• Members
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted May 27 2015 - 04:01 PM

View PostM Needforspeed, on May 27 2015 - 02:24 PM, said:

Creek corner saw two crashes in 1967 . Leo geogeghan Lotus 39 ...
Creek was my favourite location - always good for some action - and I was there the day that this photo was taken.
Not happy to see Leo's lovely car damaged.

#38 chris skepis

chris skepis

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted May 27 2015 - 04:18 PM

here is a pukekohe video

https://youtu.be/mW_EWR1bxOk

#39 Brocky05

Brocky05

King of the Mountain

• Members
  • 200 posts
  • Interests:I'm Way Too Addicted to GPL For Anything Else

Posted May 27 2015 - 05:40 PM

im not sure if you have seen these videos of warwick farm

https://www.youtube....h?v=UMWo5QFilBc

https://www.youtube....h?v=UMWo5QFilBc

if not i hope they help

#40 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted May 28 2015 - 01:53 AM

View PostBruce, on May 27 2015 - 03:58 PM, said:

View PostFat Rich, on May 27 2015 - 03:13 PM, said:

The grade, from the start of Hume Straight to Dunlop Bridge, was very slight.
From the bridge to the corner itself there was a tad more. But Don't go overboard on the gradient....better to err on the side of subtlety.

Not sure if the armco is actually green though
They were....but not a bright or gloss green. Rather dull and faded by the end of the circuit's life.

Thanks Bruce and M Needforspeed, all the information I've found so far of that part of the circuit is B&W so I probably would have got that wrong!

At the moment I've got the circuit fairly flat, I've put some definite bumps where the circuit crosses the horse racing track because there's a great shot of Jack going over the Northern Crossing at 16m48s:

https://www.youtube....h?v=XNfq310iOTI

I'm guessing the circuit had to be dipped a little in order to put some kind of soft surface for the horses to cross the track? There are definitely some small undulations visible on other parts of the track in the videos, getting them in the right places is going to be a challenge!

Thanks for the links to the videos, I've done a fairly comprehensive trawl of Youtube but I've still got to go through theroaringseason.com and the autosport forums for images of Pukekohe and Warwick Farm... hopefully will find some good stuff like I did for Teretonga. Will also search any info I can find on horse racing at these two venues, it'll probably give me some different views of the motor racing circuits and maybe show some things not picked up otherwise :)

Edit: Just stumbled across this: http://www.automotob...tion-reprint-1/

Don't know if it's of interest to anyone here, I've ordered one and will let you know what's in it... it'll take a while to arrive as I'm on the other side of the world.

Edited by Fat Rich, May 28 2015 - 04:45 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links