• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 05 2018 - 04:21 PM

Got the aforementioned dvd, as a present at Christmas. Other day, broke open the shrink wrap and decided to watch, for the very first time.

Great watch and fascinated by its historic content.

So much so that a few bits stuck out and were really interesting.

Like the five Ferrari drivers, who were lost. Mike Hawthorne (road car accident) Peter Collins ( at the ring) Luigi Musso (Reims) Castellotti (Modena test) and Portago (Mille Miglia) all with direct links.

Think I'd also heard the story before. But I was well impressed by Peter Collins sacrifice of a driver's championship. After giving up his car, to Fangio, at the German gp, at the ring, in 1957. Affectively handing the title to Fangio. What a thing to do.

TP:

Edited by twinpotter, Sep 05 2018 - 04:22 PM.

#2 marco lenarduzzi

marco lenarduzzi

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • Interests:racing sims,cars, F1,cooking,skiing

Posted Sep 05 2018 - 09:19 PM

I truly enjoyed watching it a few months ago. So tragic and at the same time very informative. Drivers had to not only be extremely good at what they did but had to be brave beyond comprehension .

I found Mike Hawthorn's death to be a sad end to an extraordinary life. Killed in a road accident! There's a certain similarity to Michael Schumacher's ski accident which put him in a coma with severe brain damage. Bitter irony.

#3 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Sep 05 2018 - 09:32 PM

View Postmarco lenarduzzi, on Sep 05 2018 - 09:19 PM, said:

I truly enjoyed watching it a few months ago. So tragic and at the same time very informative. Drivers had to not only be extremely good at what they did but had to be brave beyond comprehension .

I found Mike Hawthorn's death to be a sad end to an extraordinary life. Killed in a road accident! There's a certain similarity to Michael Schumacher's ski accident which put him in a coma with severe brain damage. Bitter irony.

Hawthorn hadn't long to live, from what I understand he had a kidney condition that was getting worse. I heard speculation that may have been a contributor to his accident.

#4 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,441 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Sep 06 2018 - 12:19 PM

I wasn't aware of that fact Michkov, until watching this dvd.

Part of my bucket list is to visit Mike's memorial plaque, which is just around the corner from me. Even though Mike's demeanor portrayed a typical English gentleman and squire, spending much of his life, in the affluent South of England.
There is a plaque situated, where he was born. During his early years, he lived in the working class, blue collar North. At a place called Mexborough, South Yorkshire. Which is near me.

So that is on my visit bucket list, including Mike's accident spot and Graham Hills accident location. Which are both located in the South of England.

https://www.twopeaks...RN-MUSEUM-VISIT

TP

Attached Files

Edited by twinpotter, Sep 06 2018 - 01:34 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links