• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:Mainly interested in two sims: GPL (and mods) and Nascar 2003 Season (and mods).
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jul 08 2018 - 06:52 PM

I would ask down there in the P&G forum, but it doesn't appear to be highly active. So, here goes...

I'm interested in obtaining GTR2 with a specific interest in the P&G mods (there's a Ferrari 250 Berlinetta!!). My questions:

1. If I purchase GTR2 via Steam, do I have all I need to install P&G, or must I also have GTR?

2. If I purchase via Steam, will I be able to run the sim off-line?

3. Do you think the sim will interface correctly with my ancient Momo wheel/pedals?

I'm not interested in online racing, so is the AI pretty decent?

Any input would be very much appreicated.

Thanks!

Old Simmer aka Andre

#2 marco lenarduzzi

marco lenarduzzi

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:racing sims,cars, F1,cooking,skiing

Posted Jul 08 2018 - 07:17 PM

View PostOld Simmer, on Jul 08 2018 - 06:52 PM, said:

I would ask down there in the P&G forum, but it doesn't appear to be highly active. So, here goes...

I'm interested in obtaining GTR2 with a specific interest in the P&G mods (there's a Ferrari 250 Berlinetta!!). My questions:

1. If I purchase GTR2 via Steam, do I have all I need to install P&G, or must I also have GTR?

3. Do you think the sim will interface correctly with my ancient Momo wheel/pedals?

I'm not interested in online racing, so is the AI pretty decent?

Any input would be very much appreicated.

Thanks!

Old Simmer aka Andre
You may find some answers here Old Simmer  https://www.racedepa...eleased.115625/

Edited by marco lenarduzzi, Jul 08 2018 - 07:18 PM.

#3 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:Mainly interested in two sims: GPL (and mods) and Nascar 2003 Season (and mods).

Posted Jul 08 2018 - 07:39 PM

Thanks Marco!

It looks like I can indeed install the 3.2 patch directly over GTR2 without having to purchase GTR as well.

I've registered/received confirmation from racedepartment.com and am downloading P&G 3.2 as I type.

After it downloads, I will go purchase GTR2 from Steam!

Looks like fun!

Old Simmer aka Andre

#4 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted Jul 08 2018 - 08:19 PM

Okay... downloading/installing GTR2 off steam as I'm typing.

I note that  as installed, the OEM game will be devoid of the Ferrari and Porsche. In order to receive the default Ferrari and Porsche I must install the 'No CD Patch" and was to be routed to the now defunct "no grip racing" site. Didn't realize that. Do I have an alternative download location for the GTR2 "No CD Patch"?

Thanks.

Old Simmer aka Andre

#5 marco lenarduzzi

marco lenarduzzi

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:racing sims,cars, F1,cooking,skiing

Posted Jul 08 2018 - 09:16 PM

View PostOld Simmer, on Jul 08 2018 - 08:19 PM, said:

I note that  as installed, the OEM game will be devoid of the Ferrari and Porsche. In order to receive the default Ferrari and Porsche I must install the 'No CD Patch" and was to be routed to the now defunct "no grip racing" site. Didn't realize that. Do I have an alternative download location for the GTR2 "No CD Patch"?

Thanks.

Old Simmer aka Andre
Yes, try this link  http://tt.servegame.com:100/

#6 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,487 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Jul 09 2018 - 09:02 AM

I'd suggest you don't add anything to GTR2 before you install P&G. P&G will install easier if GTR2 is in it's vanilla form.

What I do is install GTR2 and go in it and setup my name, settings for graphics, wheel etc. Then install P&G.

#7 Art-J

Art-J

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, vintage motorsports, history.

Posted Jul 09 2018 - 09:14 AM

View PostOld Simmer, on Jul 08 2018 - 08:19 PM, said:

Thanks.

Old Simmer aka Andre

Do you really want or need these cars, however? P&G is supposed to be installed over a clean GTR2, and while doing so, it deletes pretty much all stock content anyway, apart from tracks. It also runs off a separate .exe file afterwards.

#8 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,487 posts

Posted Jul 09 2018 - 09:52 AM

P&G doesn't delete anything from GTR2 if you don't pick that option.

Andre...........After you install P&G off a clean GTR2 you can install anything you want to GTR2. Yes, the NoCD will activate the Ferrari and Porsche cars.

P&G and GTR2 with the NoCD patch can both run offline without Steam. Don't delete Steam though. It will take GTR2 with it.

#9 snafu

snafu

John Hammonds

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:GPL. F2B

Posted Jul 09 2018 - 10:35 AM

Just worth noting,although it is suggested in the posts above...  You can copy your complete GTR2 install and run from the copy. (So leaving the Steam install as a vanilla copy).

Idid this when I bought the Simbin mega bundle with GTR, GTR2, GTL, Race07 and many others.

I have 4 GTR2 installs, Steam, P&G, Fesbierbude (P&G), Kolschbierbude. Same with GTL (UKGTL, Altbierbude etc).

TTFN
John.

#10 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted Jul 09 2018 - 11:25 AM

So...

Can I copy this basic install (which currently does NOT have the NoCD patch installed) to another location (renaming it) and install P&G into it and be able to run it offline without having to find the NoCD patch?

The vanilla game is "okay"... but I purchased it for the P&G mod!

Thanks all for input!

Old Simmer aka Andre

#11 snafu

snafu

John Hammonds

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:GPL. F2B

Posted Jul 09 2018 - 12:01 PM

I think so yes. I'm not 100% sure about the No CD patch and extra installs. I didn't even think it was required for the Steam version. I thought it was only necessary if you installed off a CD.(That's why it's called a No CD patch)??

It was a long time ago that I copied my GTR for my P&G install but P&G has it's own "exe" so I wouldn't think the No CD patch is relevant either way.

TTFN
John.

#12 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,414 posts
  • Interests:everything that has a Ferrari V12 inside
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jul 09 2018 - 01:59 PM

View PostOld Simmer, on Jul 08 2018 - 06:52 PM, said:

1) Yes, you need nothing else but GTR2

2) Of course

3) I believe it should

#13 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,414 posts
  • Interests:everything that has a Ferrari V12 inside
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jul 09 2018 - 02:02 PM

View PostOld Simmer, on Jul 09 2018 - 11:25 AM, said:

Can I copy this basic install (which currently does NOT have the NoCD patch installed) to another location (renaming it) and install P&G into it and be able to run it offline without having to find the NoCD patch?

If I remember correctly, PnG installs the NoCD patch by itself, so you should be good to go. Remember to use the 4gb+ exe though, you can find it in the root folder after installing PnG (if you have a PC with more than 4gb of ram and a 64bit OS)

Edited by leon_90, Jul 09 2018 - 02:02 PM.

#14 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,487 posts

Posted Jul 09 2018 - 06:17 PM

No, it doesn't Leon. P&G doesn't install anything to GTR2. All it does is copy some of the files it needs. GTR2 is left untouched.

I'll say it again. Once P&G is installed you can install anything you want to GTR2. It won't affect P&G one bit. As a matter of fact you can delete GTR2 after P&G is installed and P&G runs fine.

I have P&G installed and Steam and GTR2 are not installed.

Edited by Pete Gaimari, Jul 09 2018 - 06:18 PM.

#15 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted Jul 09 2018 - 08:02 PM

Okay, I'm getting an error trying to install.

All goes well in the installer routine until the very end where the dos-type screen ends with a line that reads:

#ERR: unable to open file 'C:Users\Ming\Documents\GTR2\CONFIG.INI...

Looking in the path of the error listed, I find C:Users\Ming\Documents\GTR2\UserData\LOG\trace, but no CONFIG.INI file. The trace file is an empty txt file.

The path to my installation of a functioning GTR2 is: E:\SteamGames\steamapps\common\GTR 2 - FIA GT Racing Game

I was attempting to install PnG3 to the following path: E:\PnG3

Looking inside my functioning installation of GTR2 I do find a "Config" file (Win7 doesn't display the suffix, so I "assume" it is an .ini file.)

Just had a thought: I've copied the "Config" file within my functioning GTR2 game folder and placed the copy inside the folder that the installer is looking for. As soon as I post this, I will try again to install.

Be back soon to share the results.

Old Simmer aka Andre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links