#31 ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,707 posts
  • Interests:Mountain
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 24 2018 - 05:04 PM

Isn't that what happens if you set AI speed to 0 in GEM+?
AI will adapt to your average lap times.

#32 Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,433 posts

Posted Jan 24 2018 - 05:06 PM

It depends on the year and mod, but basically the mechanics couldn't do a whole lot in the pits other than change tires and add fuel.

With the '67 Sports Cars, they could do more such as changing brake pads or damaged suspension parts.

I wish I could have have done some minor repairs with the PitStop patch, but I failed.  :(

Seems to me that if you only want to change the dlong_speed_adj_coeff in the track.ini file, it's easier to simply edit the .ini file directly with a text editor.  Now that each mod and track can have its own track.ini file, it would be a lot of work to write a  program that would do that for each mod and track.  However, it's not impossible to do so it would be nice if someone could do it.

Edited by Lee200, Jan 24 2018 - 05:07 PM.

#33 twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,395 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    computer gaming-

Posted Jan 24 2018 - 05:21 PM

Thanks Lee for clarification.

@Ginetto I may be getting confused. But I thought altering this parameter in gem only had a general effect and it is therefore better to manually adjust the dlong_speed_adj_coeff or ntp override. To get a better result. Or do the same two functions achieve the same result 🤔

#34 Brocky05

King of the Mountain

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • Interests:I'm Way Too Addicted to GPL For Anything Else

Posted Jan 24 2018 - 07:47 PM

as far as i know the 32 or was it 35mod was put on hold while the 55 mod was been worked on

not sure if the modders are back at work on it or taking a break or working on something else who knows

#35 db312

Always in the lead

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • Interests:Just a fan of Gpl since 2008, fan of plane sim too (Il2-Cliffs of dover, Rise of flight) and in love with music

Posted Jan 24 2018 - 11:02 PM

Saiph says :

"...I do have some favourite cars I would love to see in GPL, but creating an entire mod for GPL is a massive amount of work - hell, even a single track takes an amazing amount of effort. So I wouldn't like to put any of our modders under any more pressure. I'm just really pleased when we get something new in GPL."

The only thing that worries me is the amount of people we have lost from the GPL modding community over recent years. Only Lee seems to have the expertise to patch the GPL code now. Many other car modellers and track makers have also drifted away from GPL. There even seems to be a little difficulty finding people with enough time to do the admin work for the GPL websites. I just hope the community can keep going."

I'm totally agree with him and I would like to thank specifically everyone who make it possible to GPL to stay alive !!!

Twenty years later, It's almost a miracle... :ermm:...

So, I'm really very happy with the way GPL is.

And about the Mod68, well, perhaps someone is working on it... Who knows... :rolleyes:

Edited by db312, Jan 24 2018 - 11:03 PM.

#36 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 770 posts
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.

Posted Jan 25 2018 - 03:31 AM

Jim Pearson, on Jan 24 2018 - 02:50 PM, said:

This functionality is already in GPL and explained in the track making tutorial. There is NO REASON to put up with angular / blocky corners in GPL.  Never was!

If a corner apex looks too blocky, use these solutions, in order, until the corner looks smooth.

1. Split the corner into two equal parts which doubles the amount of polys.

2. Open Wall "0" and use unk 4 4096 value.

3. Open Wall "0" and use unk 4 2048 value. Be careful with this one as the number of polys is increased by a factor of 5 for that section. Can cause issues with frame rates and TV Cam freezes if you use too much of this.

Sometimes a corner will look smooth in the driving view but blocky in a TV Cam view. I think that has something to do with your detail bias settings.

If you are making videos, try using max detail bias.

Thanks for the info Jim, will do some experimenting.

It would be great if GPL could be patched to increase the polys automatically for existing tracks using the LOD code to produce more polys than it does currently. But I can imagine it would cause clipping problems with trackside objects in some circumstances so might cause more problems than it solves :)

#37 Royale

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 534 posts
  • Interests:Leaving GPL better than I found it.

Posted Jan 25 2018 - 04:18 AM

Shaun & I have been making cars since 2006 of which 30 have been released in mods. The heavy lift is not the model creation & conversion to G.P.L. but the final editing that makes them G.P.L. worthy. A few have those skills which is why we were successful with previous mods. To open up the car pipeline ( 125 cars on the HD) we need a car editor -- even if it costs $$$ to create -- with a simple graphics interface that will intuitively allow a user to:

-- Move objects in the already existing 3do tree (driver/steering wheel/instruments/tires/tire boxes/mirrors/shifters)
-- Identify and fix clipping issues as a result of ase to 3do conversion errors
-- Reduce redundant polygons
-- Connect simple geometric objects in the car model such as lines or triangles representing a cars suspension.

etc etc

Edited by Royale, Jan 25 2018 - 04:25 AM.

#38 John Water

John Water

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Too many.
    Motorsport: MotoGP

Posted Jan 25 2018 - 06:37 AM

First my thanks to everybody, the GPL this miraculous simulation made.
A wish is that in Replays with the switching the driver's hand leads to the gearshift.

#39 nelson83

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:hiking, cycling, flying

Posted Jan 25 2018 - 06:55 AM

A 1971 F1 mod would be great!

#40 fela

Mike Spence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:electronics, programming, keyboards

Posted Jan 25 2018 - 07:17 AM

What I am missing is the possibility to save position during the race. Not to cheat, but because usually is difficult to find enough time for full GP race.

Second thing - maybe if any AI car has engine failure, to simulate the spilled oil on the track.

Third: more failures of human car (I had so far just pucture, suspension, but never any kind of engine or transmission problem)..

#41 pioujd428

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:1967 and 1968

Posted Jan 25 2018 - 07:19 AM

John Water, on Jan 25 2018 - 06:37 AM, said:

A wish is that in Replays with the switching the driver's hand leads to the gearshift.

For the ai as well I think that would be amazing. Lee's bobblehead patch brings them to life so much more than they used to be and with that added on top it would be perfect.

#42 JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 548 posts
  • Interests:Historic motor sport, sailing, astrophotography

Posted Jan 25 2018 - 08:58 AM

I had forgotten but like Fela I would like to be able to adjust (upwards!) the rate of mechanical failures on the players car.

#43 deegee

• Supporter
  • 150 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Jan 25 2018 - 09:37 AM

"For the ai as well I think that would be amazing. Lee's bobblehead patch brings them to life so much more than they used to be and with that added on top it would be perfect."

Agree 100% with pioujd428, and John Water.

The fact that GPL is still alive and kicking after 20 years is reason enough to celebrate, and the fact that the phyics and graphics are what they are today is truly amazing thanks to the hard work and ethusiasm of a dedicated band of modders to whom I will always be grateful, and, of course, a wonderful community always ready to help with any problem.

As someone with no programming skills, I am continually amazed by how GPL has progressed over the years.

As for a wish list, I live in hope of a 68 mod one day.....

#44 Olaf Lehmann

Olaf Lehmann

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted Jan 25 2018 - 09:48 AM

Regarding the present pit stops patch (which is great) I always wanted a damage repair option.
The other pitstop patch

do this, the car can be repaired at your pit after a 15s waiting time.
But the waiting time isn't depent from the amount of damage - only a little bit: If you loose a wheel in mode INT you have to repair (15s) and change tires (another 15s). In mode PRO you can't repair big damages, because you can't bring back the car to the pits.

#45 leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,401 posts
  • Interests:everything that has a Ferrari V12 inside
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jan 25 2018 - 02:15 PM

fela, on Jan 25 2018 - 07:17 AM, said:

Third: more failures of human car (I had so far just pucture, suspension, but never any kind of engine or transmission problem)..

That is something I asked and discussed too not too long ago. Seems unlikely to happen though :( We have a big advantage over AI due to this, unfortunately

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links