Thanks to the '55 Mod team for their test support and especially to Stefan Roess for hosting the website.
BTW, Stefan has cooked up a nice surprise for everyone too.
Be careful, it can be slippery out there.
What Is It?: The Weather Patch continuously changes the visibility on-the-fly to simulate fog, rain, or haze.
It works during training, qualification, and race for all mods, all country .exes, all tracks, and with the D3D7v2 and OpenGLv2 rasterisers.
Online players see the same visibility regardless of when they join the server.
As the visibility decreases, so does the track surface grip to simulate a wet track. Also, the AI will slow down.
How Does It Work?: The Weather Patch uses GPL's Fog Effect which, before now, could only apply a constant density, gray colored fog throughout qualification and race. Normally, the fog's density is set in the track.ini file, but the Weather Patch automatically and continuously changes the density on-the-fly and track.ini file settings aren't needed.
The density and change duration are random, but are based on the track's length. So each track will have different fog characteristics.
How Do You Use It?: See this link to my website which contains the link to download the Weather Patch and how to add patches:
I place the Weather patch in one of the Options directories to make it easy to turn on and off with GEM+'s checkbox.
Important--the patch only works with v2 rasterisers! Do not use it with the Night Patch!
What Should You Expect To See?: The Weather Patch continuously adjusts the visibility during qualification or race. Sometimes the visibility will be very good while at other times, it can be quite poor. Be careful when the visibility is poor as the track surface can be very slippery.
Replays: The patch works during replays. All the replay buttons such as fast forward, pause, .etc, and the time slider work normally and the visibility is automatically updated although it make take a few seconds to adjust. If your replay includes qualification and race segments, the patch automatically adjusts. You can use a saved replay as well as the normal qualification/race replay screen.
1. If you enter and exit your car or use the replay time change features, elapsed time and visibility may no longer be in real time. Press the "Live Feed" button to synchronize the display. This is not a bug with the patch, but is a feature of GPL.
2. To minimize possible frame rate degradation, visibility changes are purposely limited to twice per second. This may create a slight flickering effect when the visibility is worst.
3. The Fog Effect is always active so it may obscure the horizon at some tracks. Some tracks have a distant horizon which makes them more susceptible to the effect. Tracks with closer horizons, such as Monaco, are not obscured as much.
4. Do not use the Weather Patch at the same time as the Night Patch as the two patches are not compatible with each other.
5. The online server does not have to be patched for the Weather Patch to work.
Edited by Lee200, Mar 26 2017 - 07:38 AM.