Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:varied
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 09 2018 - 02:58 PM

Hi,

A few weeks ago, after much effort and many failures, I finally discovered there is an installation file for windows 10. I have it running now and really enjoy it but have a few issues I need help with. I have searched the internet for answers but either haven't found them or they are much too intricate for me to follow. Please help me with the following:

1. I have set up my car to the best of my abilities at the moment and have greatly improved over the default set-up. Problem is, when I try to race, the AI cars blow me away. I don't stand a chance. It's an struggle to even barely keep up with them for one lap. Is there a way to adjust the AI level as you can in NASCAR?

2. What is the ideal set-up for Monza? I'd love to see if I am on the right track (pun intended.)

3. I can't get the force feedback to work on my Logitech MOMO wheel. Again, I have visited a number of forums and followed all the suggestions but have not found the solution. I tried all the setting recommendations I could find including checking to see if FFB = 1 in one of the ini files (forget which one it is). Also, every time I boot my computer, I have to, first, unplug and replug my wheel and then recalibrate both in windows devices and the game. It won't retain the info between boot-ups. Anybody think they can help?

4. The number of links for patches, mods, etc. are overwhelming. Any suggestions for a new player as to where to start?

As I said, I love the game but have to settle for trying to break my own lap record for fun. Racing against the AI is not feasible and after all....it is a racing game.

#2 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Historic motor sport, sailing, astrophotography

Posted Sep 09 2018 - 03:01 PM

How much time have you spent practising on your own, before racing the AI? I'd suggest that until you can lap Monza regularly within +/-0.5s each lap, you are better off driving alone.

For the setups, you'll have to tell us which car you are driving!

#3 chilong

chilong

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted Sep 09 2018 - 03:21 PM

I am driving the Lotus. I have practiced for many hours. My best lap, after warming up the tires for 1 or 2 laps is 1:35.10, which I can usually come close to each time after the warm up. The thing is that when I am trying to race, While I'm hanging on by a thread from losing control by making any sort of movement off the line of the curve I'm skidding around, the car behind me (often one trails behind from the start to the first curve (Monza)) is jumping back and forth trying to get around me. There is no way my set-up will allow me to do that. I have spent many hours trying to figure out a good set-up (I have a long list of set-ups, many of which have been changed and rechanged many times). I noticed that the AI cars seem to brake faster than mine also. I have tried adjusting the bump and rebound in many combinations but can't get it better than I have it. I'm also not sure what the wheel rate is. I have messed with it and have it set where the car seems to handle best but it was just dumb luck. I realize that it takes time and practice to fully understand and properly adjust all the parameters but it would be nice to be able to turn teh AI down until I am more proficient.

Edited by chilong, Sep 09 2018 - 03:23 PM.

#4 chilong

chilong

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted Sep 09 2018 - 03:42 PM

Regarding the FFB on my MOMO wheel, I just realized that there is a hole for a jack in the back. Am I missing a connector?

#5 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 386 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Sep 09 2018 - 03:49 PM

The Lotus is by far the most difficult car in the game, I would suggest starting with the Cooper or BRM as they are much more forgiving. As far as setups go, especially on Monza, you should only worry about gear ratios when you've just started playing GPL. It will take time to get a feeling for it and get up to speed, but you will get there eventually. A even better tip might be to start with the 1965 mod and try to master those cars first, they are perfect for beginners.

You can adjust the AI speed in GEMP2. Look at 'AI Speed': 1 means default speed, a value bigger 1 will slow them down and any value lower than 1 will speed them up. Try increasing the value with increments of 0,05 and see when you can keep up with the AI. If you don't already use GEM+ to start GPL, please install it as it's an essential program for GPL nowadays. Never start the game directly via the gpl.exe.

View Postchilong, on Sep 09 2018 - 03:42 PM, said:

Regarding the FFB on my MOMO wheel, I just realized that there is a hole for a jack in the back. Am I missing a connector?
You mean a hole for a AC adapter? Because wheels with FF also need their own power supply, connecting it only via USB isn't enough.

Edited by Millennium, Sep 09 2018 - 03:55 PM.

#6 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 865 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Sep 09 2018 - 03:57 PM

View Postchilong, on Sep 09 2018 - 03:42 PM, said:

Yes, if you have no PSU connected the FFB will not work.

In the beginning you need Bernd Nowaks all in one installer 1.08 and the GEM+ pakage with setup manager, this is easily done in 5 min for best results.

Then go to Monza and do some training in pro mode until you do ~ 1:30 laps
Setups for Monza are special, get a Huttu GH2 or Masaki Asano setup from the track database ;)

#7 chilong

chilong

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted Sep 09 2018 - 04:22 PM

A power supply....of course. Should have realized. What a dummy I can be! Thanks.

As far as the GEM+ goes, I take it I can find a link for this...... does it install itself or do I have to put the file somewhere? Does this include the GEMP2 or is this a separate file?

Also I looked at the gallery and some of the pics look more realistic than nine. Mine looks pretty good...got it at the highest resolution. Is there an update for better graphics?

Sorry about all the questions and thanks very much for your answers.

#8 chilong

chilong

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted Sep 09 2018 - 04:47 PM

I just installed GEM+ which gave me GEM, IGOR and setup manager. I don't see  a place to adjust the AI. I tried to find GEMP2 but couldn't find it. Where can I get it?

#9 tjc

tjc

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 753 posts
  • Interests:Various

Posted Sep 09 2018 - 05:03 PM

Hey... welcome to GPL.

Have a look here: http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=5603

A lot of good info in there regarding getting going with the sim.

There`s a box in Gem for adjusting AI speed. Also as others have said, it would be a good idea imo to start with the 65`s (mod) to learn GPL in general but also how to drive and get some good racing in.

Good luck. :)

#10 tjc

tjc

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 753 posts
  • Interests:Various

Posted Sep 09 2018 - 05:11 PM

Also have a look at GPLaps youtube site for inspiration and just general good time race watching. Guy is a legend. I love his races.

https://www.youtube....kzbVKCFShRlGTjw

#11 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Sep 10 2018 - 01:03 AM

Hello chilong

Welcome to GPL. :)

I don`t know if you have seen this...?
http://www.gplworld....tion-guide.html
It should answer some of your questions.

Edited by Stefan Roess, Sep 10 2018 - 01:04 AM.

#12 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 386 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Sep 10 2018 - 05:04 AM

View Postchilong, on Sep 09 2018 - 04:47 PM, said:

I just installed GEM+ which gave me GEM, IGOR and setup manager. I don't see  a place to adjust the AI. I tried to find GEMP2 but couldn't find it. Where can I get it?
I believe the program is called GEM+ but the .exe is called GEMP2, they're both the same thing. Make sure you select 'Race' in GEM (lower left of the screen), not the default 'Testing' training mode. When you select 'Race' a lot of other settings will pop-up, including AI Speed.

Edited by Millennium, Sep 10 2018 - 05:15 AM.

#13 chilong

chilong

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted Sep 10 2018 - 06:32 AM

Thank you everybody. I have some homework to do!

#14 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,471 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Sep 10 2018 - 06:56 AM

View Postchilong, on Sep 09 2018 - 02:58 PM, said:

Hi,

A few weeks ago, after much effort and many failures, I finally discovered there is an installation file for windows 10. I have it running now and really enjoy it but have a few issues I need help with. I have searched the internet for answers but either haven't found them or they are much too intricate for me to follow. Please help me with the following:

1. I have set up my car to the best of my abilities at the moment and have greatly improved over the default set-up. Problem is, when I try to race, the AI cars blow me away. I don't stand a chance. It's an struggle to even barely keep up with them for one lap. Is there a way to adjust the AI level as you can in NASCAR?

Yes, but...the Ai is fast because you are slow. (Actually not that slow as 1:35s are not that bad for a new driver). You need to get up to speed.

Also, there is a handicap system built in that will very gradually slow the Ai cars. While you learn how to drive your proper place in a realistic sim is at the back of the pack.

Get better and you will have a chance. It will not take as long as you think and the challenge of moving up the grid based on actual improvement of driving skills is very rewarding.

Or, if you want to start learning how to mess with Ai right away, read Lee's Ai Tutorial.

2. What is the ideal set-up for Monza? I'd love to see if I am on the right track (pun intended.)

There is no ideal setup for Monza or any other track.
There are no magic numbers and no cheat codes...nothing easy about this except easy to have fun.

Focus on that because otherwise it will make you crazy with frustration.
Grand Prix Legends above all rewards perseverance.

There are too many variables both within the game and without, including for instance things like how far your eyes are from the display. The best you can hope for is over time getting all variable factors in tune...which will, trust me, be a very rewarding moment.

To start, look here: How to calibrate your display.
There are YT videos that explain how important this is and how to do it on other sims.

Then, learn how to make your own setups.
There is no end of advice about that.
For right now, begin experimenting with effect by testing one thing at a time.
Such as, raise front springs a few pounds and go see what happens thru turns, then raise it a bit more and try another few laps.
Raising front spring rate will eventually cause understeer.
When the car starts understeering really bad, start backing the springs off until the car oversteers.
Do that with each variable to learn effect in real time.
Read, read, read.

3. I can't get the force feedback to work on my Logitech MOMO wheel. Again, I have visited a number of forums and followed all the suggestions but have not found the solution. I tried all the setting recommendations I could find including checking to see if FFB = 1 in one of the ini files (forget which one it is). Also, every time I boot my computer, I have to, first, unplug and replug my wheel and then recalibrate both in windows devices and the game. It won't retain the info between boot-ups. Anybody think they can help?

4. The number of links for patches, mods, etc. are overwhelming. Any suggestions for a new player as to where to start?

Are you talking about here?

www.gpllinks.org

There's 20yrs worth of links posted there, (close enough).
Think of it as a lottery and an adventure.
You already have all you need to get started.

As I said, I love the game but have to settle for trying to break my own lap record for fun. Racing against the AI is not feasible and after all....it is a racing game.

Yes that is right. But do not be discouraged. It will be very rewarding to finally get ahead of Ligier on the grid and even more as you move up. That's the old school way. And really after a few aha moments it will not take that long.

chilong,

Please explain, "finally discovered an installation file for Windows 10"?
Your answer may help others?

Good luck, welcome to SRMZ and Grand Prix Legends!
:D

Edited by John Woods, Sep 10 2018 - 08:15 AM.

#15 chilong

chilong

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted Sep 10 2018 - 09:21 AM

View PostJohn Woods, on Sep 10 2018 - 06:56 AM, said:

chilong,

Please explain, "finally discovered an installation file for Windows 10"?
Your answer may help others?

Good luck, welcome to SRMZ and Grand Prix Legends!

Use this link  http://gplps.wordpre...-gpl-installer/  and then use the 1.08 installation app

#16 chilong

chilong

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted Sep 10 2018 - 09:29 AM

Again, thanks for all your help and words of encouragement.  I love this program.

Another question, though: How do I increase my braking power? The AI cars seem to brake much faster than I can. I tried adjusting the % but didn't seem to help much. I also read that lowering the bump would help but I've lowered it all the way to 1 and still need plenty of track to slow down enough approaching a tight curve. Any suggestions?

#17 SV3000

SV3000

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:AssettoCorsa,rFactor2,LiveForSpeed,Race07

Posted Sep 10 2018 - 01:29 PM

Hi, if you need full range of braking control, you have to turn off Braking Help in game: Option > Sound & Gameplay > Driving Aids, as Braking Help will cause you brake a lot less to avoid locking up tyres, which increases braking distance. Once it's turned off, how much braking power depends on how much you have stepped on your brake pedal. Also braking is one of the hardest thing to master, need a lot practice and learn different technics.

Edited by SV3000, Sep 10 2018 - 01:41 PM.

#18 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Historic motor sport, sailing, astrophotography

Posted Sep 10 2018 - 02:15 PM

Hello Chilong, welcome to GPL.

Just like you, I find that the AI brake far too late. I'm certainly no alien, but now and then I set a decent lap time, but the AI always used to crash into the back of me, even if we were doing identical overall lap times.

There is a way to adjust just how hard the AI brake, as follows:

In the top level GPL folder is a .ini file that you can open and edit with Notepad. There is a different AI .ini file for each Mod - for the 1967 Mod it is called gpla67.ini.
Scroll down to the bottom and you will see a parameter called braking_efficiency_coeff.
The default setting will be something like 1.0000 or 0.8000. Try reducing it in 0.1 or 0.05 increments until the AI stop hitting you from behind.

BUT: A word of warning. Don't use it so you win every race. It often takes hundreds of hours for even experienced Sim drivers to get to a decent level in GPL. Don't start to adjust braking_efficiency_coeff until you are getting within a few seconds of the benchmark time for each circuit. If you do, you are just letting yourself off the hook and ultimately you won't enjoy GPL as much as you could. I set it to a level where I still have to brake really hard, so I almost crash, to out-brake the AI.

Happy driving!

Edited by JonnyA, Sep 10 2018 - 02:16 PM.

#19 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,471 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Sep 10 2018 - 06:18 PM

Ai are not in a race with themselves when you are near.

When you are close they will attack you, solo or as a group, if you are slower and in front.
They will defend if you are faster and challenging from behind.

Either way, if you meet the challenge and survive, they will often give up the fight and fade back to hold position.

Ai have a strong respect for aggressive confident commanding driving.
You tell them, by proximity and velocity, what to do.

But watch out if you put yourself in a weak position they will take you out with no mercy.

Maybe the Ai are just suggesting, in their opinion, you are braking too early, slowing way too much, and not paying attention to faster traffic coming up from behind...so work on that?

If Ai are coming up too fast and crashing into you while slowing for entry, (a universal lament it seems), get out of the way, let them pass, then if you really are faster, slipstream past them on the following straight.

After a few more laps you should be far enough ahead of the cars behind to not worry about them.

Otherwise, let them pass and try to stay with them.

dos tokeninos sim vous play btw

Edited by John Woods, Sep 10 2018 - 06:32 PM.

#20 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted Sep 10 2018 - 11:11 PM

Hello Chilong, welcome to gpl!!

Where are you from?

Cheers, Marcos

0 user(s) are reading this topic