• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 robwmack

robwmack

Jim Clark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing, Slot Car Racing, Sim Racing, Hockey, Military History
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 23 2018 - 08:14 PM

It's been over two years since I posted regarding the sound problem I was experiencing. A lot has happened in those two years. I retired, moved to rural Manitoba and became a grandfather. I'd put GPL on the back burner and stopped trying to install all of the mods. In fact my cockpit setup has largely sat idle for the past year.

Then last week I accidentally stumbled upon the solution to my problem. I had noticed that occasionally when I tried to watch a YouTube video, there would be no sound. For some reason, if I opened the sound settings window, the sound would work. So I just started leaving the window open if I had trouble with the sound while watching videos. Then I noticed that there was a drop down menu titled "Choose you output device". There were three choices, "Speakers (Turtle Beach Riviera Wave", "Digital Output (Turtle Beach Riviera Wave" and "Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (High Definition Audio Device)".

It had been set on the "Speakers" option and so I tried the "Digital Output" setting. Bingo! The sound worked without leaving the window open. I tried the 1965 mod and the engine sounds worked.

I am relating this to close out the issue in the hope that it will help others who may have had that problem. In the meantime, I'm back to driving GPL and installing the remaining mods to get me back to where I was two years ago when I upgraded to Windows 7 (then Windows 10).

Edited by robwmack, Sep 23 2018 - 08:19 PM.

#32 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,838 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Sep 24 2018 - 05:06 PM

Glad to know that you've found a solution! Welcome back to GPL! :thumbup: :wave:

#33 tjc

tjc

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 704 posts
  • Interests:Various

Posted Sep 24 2018 - 06:00 PM

Having problems with anything PC related sucks.. big time, but especially dear old GPL. But it`s just so satisfying when you fix them!

Well done on finding the fix and welcome back. :)

#34 robwmack

robwmack

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted Sep 24 2018 - 07:42 PM

Thanks folks. I never really went away. I just stopped racing GPL and suspended my efforts to get my installation to the great state it had been under Windows XP. But I was followings developments in these forums very closely.

#35 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 501 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, chess, classical music(piano concetos), computers, firearms, modern military history, motor racing, racing sims.
  • Sim interest:I have no preference

Posted Sep 25 2018 - 04:29 AM

Good on ya, Rob!  And yes, I'm still kicking around.  :)

Rural Manitoba?  Hope Gimli isn't too far away.

#36 robwmack

robwmack

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted Sep 25 2018 - 12:57 PM

Hi Manfred!

Yes, our daughter married a doctor and they moved out here for him to do his residency. They are both animal crazy and have a hobby farm with lots of creatures. Last year she was expecting and we moved out here to be close. We now have a delightful grandson and are having a great time. We really like the quiet and slow pace. Don't miss the hubbub of Ontario one bit.

Didn't get to Gimli this year. It's about three hours away. They only run one club event per month from May to September and the last race was last weekend. Too much to do around the house this year to get away.

Good to hear from you.

Cheers!

Bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links