Paco

Frank DePace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:Family, sim racing, golf
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 31 2014 - 08:37 AM

Wouldn't it be nice if the current world record holders would offer their set ups along with their replays.

#2 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted Jan 31 2014 - 09:49 AM

You can download WR replays at GPLRank. Make an account if you don't have one, click on Show World Records, choose the right version (GPL 69X), and click on a laptime, and you will be able to download replays for each chassis as far as they are checked/confirmed.

Setups are a personal thing, but have attached my five M9A WR setups/replays for what it's worth. It's a slower chassis with which there hasn't been driven a lot. (otherwise I wouldn't have WR's! :D) Adjust diff, brakebias and steering lock to your own preference/diving style.

Attached Files

Edited by Robert Fleurke, Jan 31 2014 - 10:00 AM.

#3 Paco

Paco

Frank DePace

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted Jan 31 2014 - 10:19 AM

Robert I knew that world record replays were available at GPL Rank just not the setups to go along with them.

The fast 67 season drivers such as Huttu, Wilke, etc were willing to give both their set ups and replays, just thought it would something the 69 md extra drivers should consider.
Thanks a lot for yours.
Paco

#4 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,515 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Jan 31 2014 - 11:38 AM

They didn't set the WR, because of the setup. All alien setups are very similar in GPL.

#5 Frenchy

Frenchy

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 531 posts

Posted Jan 31 2014 - 11:58 AM

Gotta agree with you Paco. Steve Cloyd used to zip up the setup with the wr replay and upload it to GPLRank which I found very helpful. Of course i had to tame them a bit to my liking and ability but it was good if only to get the gear ratios.

Pete is right too. The guys that do these wr's could get pretty close with almost any setup and they are usually pretty similar ie stiff and oversteery. You'll find that most of these guys have a set formula to their setups too. ie they don't change much from track to track. Just gear ratios cambers and tweak the spring rates according to the nature of the track. You could try downloading some setups for the original 69s (eg Steve's) as a starting point and try to formulate a base setup you're happy with.

Good luck
David

#6 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 543 posts

Posted Jan 31 2014 - 12:17 PM

BTW the default setups are pretty good in GPL67 and all mods. Lately I start from scratch with default and can appreciate them al lot more than I did before!

#7 Paco

Paco

Frank DePace

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted Jan 31 2014 - 12:44 PM

I understand everyone's point of view on this and thanks for making them.

Some of the better drivers offered two different set ups one more radical than the other  i.e. Huttu.  The more radical ones are way to difficult to drive for my liking.

I agree that the default set ups might be a good starting point, but really need to be tweaked to get close to a reasonable fast time.

All I'm saying is that more GPL(67) drivers no matter how personal, were willing to give up there set ups.

Thanks for all the 69modx racers like Steve and Robert for giving theirs.

Paco

#8 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 543 posts

Posted Jan 31 2014 - 12:58 PM

Paco,

right now I'm mostly doing 67, 65 and F2. Back in 2006 I did try 69 for a while, and lately one week 69X, I like it, but too busy. Maybe now and then 69X in the near future, but when I have new setups for other tracks I'd be glad to share them.

Found a few more setups for McLaren M9A for Monza and Silverstone and Lotus 63 for Monza. Nothing special I think, not too much testing, but maybe it helps.

Attached Files

#9 Paco

Paco

Frank DePace

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted Jan 31 2014 - 01:26 PM

Robert
Thanks again
Me

#10 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,515 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Jan 31 2014 - 02:11 PM

Paco.............The Greger setups were different stages of his driving career. The GH1 were when he first started to drive, and are very easy to drive. The GH2 setups came later, and what he used to set all his fastest times. If you compare the two setup times, you'll see there isn't a lot of difference in times. I always thought his GH2 setups were still easy to drive compared to other alien setups. I don't think you'd like WR setups, because most of them will be harder to drive than the GH2 setups.

You'll be amazed how fast you can go with Greger's easy GH1 setups.

One more comment to everybody. Taking an alien setup an d toning it down is not the best way to go. The setup was built to work as is, and is balanced. If you take it, and change to an easier to drive diff. You've messed up the balance, and it probably won't work as good as a setup built from scratch with the milder diff. The same thing applies to moving the brake balance forward. It's better to start with the BB and diff setting you want, and build the setup around that.

#11 Paco

Paco

Frank DePace

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted Jan 31 2014 - 02:49 PM

Hi Pete,
I have used Greger's GH1 and some of his GH2 set ups and agree that you can get some really good times using them.  FK's Ulee and Roland's set ups seem to work well with my driving style as well.
Well thanks for all the input!
Back to racing.
Paco

#12 TvO - guest

TvO - guest
  • Guests

Posted Jan 31 2014 - 03:16 PM

I've learnt GPL with Greger's setups and to me they are still one of the best out there, especially for '67. I've tried Steve Cloyd's setups but to me they are undriveable. Most of the time when creating a new setup for a car I use one of his '67 setups as a base and adjust spring rates tires pressures etc proportionally to the new car

#13 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,506 posts

Posted Jan 31 2014 - 05:35 PM

Seem to remember that there was a competition to go negative rank with the original GPL setups and guys were doing it.  So it showed that setups help for that last little bit, but the real key is to be a good driver...something I can't claim.  :(

#14 SteveC43

SteveC43

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted Jan 31 2014 - 05:56 PM

I used to have a site for such a thing. Rather ironic it went away as my addiction tapered off, givin the name. :)

Nice to see people are still having fun with the old girl.

#15 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,321 posts

Posted Jan 31 2014 - 07:35 PM

Hey great to hear from you Steve!!  Come back to the dark side...  It's still fun!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links