- - - - -

Do You Guys Know About A Game Called 'Spirit Of Speed'?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Interests:Check out my channel for some nice GPL content :)
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Dec 07 2010 - 06:41 AM

In Spirit of Speed you drive in cars of 1937.
Mercedes, Auto Union, Alfa Romeo, Bugatti (naturally), some British and some Americans (Deusenberg, Miller, etc.)

Some of you are already busy with a 1937 mod, if I'm right, but I would like it if some tracks of Spirit of Speed will come in the Track Database.
The track looks a little different than the normal design of the real track, but I would like to see these tracks in GPL.

Someone who does agree with me?

Edited by GrandPrixYannick , Dec 07 2010 - 06:42 AM.

#2 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie & 917 addict

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  • Interests:travel, music, racing, vintage cars, model cars

Posted Dec 07 2010 - 12:31 PM

well as you said, it is being worked on, but it's not the first in line of things to come, there are a few others mods up ahead in the queue, however it is progressing beautifully. as for tracks, well we already have the beautiful "beta" of donington... that should do for now. of course any help in recreating the (missing) tracks will be greatly appreciated. so if you have some spare time to boot, why not try getting into track building? ;)

#3 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted Dec 07 2010 - 12:51 PM

View Postsky, on Dec 07 2010 - 12:31 PM, said:

so if you have some spare time to boot, why not try getting into track building? ;)

i think it's too much work for me to make a 'good track'. it does take months, i believe, to make a good track, i don't have the patience and time for that.
If I could, I would send some maps so you can check out the difference between the
real looking Tripoli (as we have in database yet) and the SOS (Spirit OF Speed) Tripoli.
But somehow I can't  :idunno:. Maybe cause it's a avi-file, but I can describe somewhat what's the difference:

- more elevation level.
- after the second (let's say) 'real' turn in the GPL 1937, you go through a part of the city with some 90° turns.
- when you drive around the right part of the track (seen by map), you can really see the lake.

well, it's easier to describe with a movie, but I don't have a camera or tool where I can show it with SOS...  :(

Edited by GrandPrixYannick , Dec 07 2010 - 12:51 PM.

#4 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,408 posts
  • Interests:My Girlfriend

Posted Dec 07 2010 - 01:06 PM

Haven't checked all tracks but i believe we have most of the 9 tracks the game used :)
1. Avus
2. Brooklands
3. Donington
4. Linas-Monthlery
5. Monza
6. Montana Raceway
7. Pau
8 .Roosevelt Raceway
9. Tripoli

I have the game myself and although i like the menu atmosphere and the preview video's, the game control was @#%!^ (well let's say it sucked major :P) Physics where just as bad :rolleyes: And i never got the fact that once i had a big leap ahead the ai they always managed to get by on the last lap wtf..
I only played it a couple of time and once i got my hands on GPL the game ended in a pile of other "sims" i never played again.

Edited by MECH, Dec 07 2010 - 01:08 PM.

#5 benzman

benzman

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 395 posts
  • Interests:Just about anything about the real world as opposed to fantasy.

Posted Dec 07 2010 - 01:19 PM

I have Spirit of Speed and yes, the graphics looked good but the gameplay and car physics were quite dreadful.  I found that the best thing about the game was that it gave you a very good idea of what those old tracks really looked like.  I can't comment on the other tracks but Brooklands looked exactly right.  It would be brilliant to have those exact tracks and graphics imported to GPL, but that would almost certainly be impossible.

One of my dreams is to one day have a program that could quickly and easily convert any race sim's track or car to any other sim.

#6 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted Dec 07 2010 - 01:21 PM

View PostMECH, on Dec 07 2010 - 01:06 PM, said:

Haven't checked all tracks but i believe we have most of the 9 tracks the game used :)
1. Avus
2. Brooklands
3. Donington
4. Linas-Monthlery
5. Monza
6. Montana Raceway
7. Pau
8 .Roosevelt Raceway
9. Tripoli

I have the game myself and although i like the menu atmosphere and the preview video's, the game control was @#%!^ (well let's say it sucked major :P) Physics where just as bad :rolleyes: And i never got the fact that once i had a big leap ahead the ai they always managed to get by on the last lap wtf..
I only played it a couple of time and once i got my hands on GPL the game ended in a pile of other "sims" i never played again.

you have them all  :thumbup:

whoa physics are really that bad? i thought it wasn't bad, and I'm good in that game, btw. I even tried to create my own scenairo's but they never work :(
well, if you could 'copy' some tracks (making it looking the same for GPL, with some improvements), then my real wish has came true.    :D

oh yes! there is something I don't understand about the intro: you see a streamlined Mercedes, but it doesn't appear in the game!  :unsure:

#7 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,408 posts

Posted Dec 07 2010 - 01:27 PM

View PostGrandPrixYannick, on Dec 07 2010 - 01:21 PM, said:

oh yes! there is something I don't understand about the intro: you see a streamlined Mercedes, but it doesn't appear in the game!  :unsure:

Well good that we will have one in GPL then (and a Auto Union as well)  :D

Oh boy, i did it again..:duh:

Attached Files

#8 Rudy Dingemans

Rudy Dingemans

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted Dec 07 2010 - 01:55 PM

whoa physics are really that bad? i thought it wasn't bad, and I'm good in that game, btw. I even tried to create my own scenairo's but they never work

Yes, it's pretty darn bad physics-wise. I have SOS37 too, drove it (and liked it) a loooong time ago around 2002, when I got started in simracing with that game - and GPL.

As Arturo said, graphically it was pretty good for its time, had a lot of atmosphere too. I liked it for that, and still do. But once you get used to GPL and other more advanced simulators, you will start to notice that the physics in SOS are primitive at best. There's hardly any tyre model and it sure doesn't feel like rubber meeting the road. (For one thing, if you drift, you don't really drift, it just suddenly skids out without warning.)
It was one of those cases where the developer's money ran out after the first alpha version, when the visual part is mostly done but it's prematurely put to market before the more complicated bit (the physics) are finished.  :huh: (In case of SOS it's a well known story though, it's an old tale in GPL circles.)

What it *did* do nicely for a lot of us, though, was cultivate the interest and charm of historic racing.

Regards, Rudy
(GPLRank: -40)

Edited by Rudy Dingemans, Dec 07 2010 - 01:56 PM.

#9 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted Dec 08 2010 - 01:04 PM

Guys, I've made a little review of Spirit Of Speed.
It took me much time.
There's also a 1-lap around Tripoli, I hope you can see the difference compared with the Tripoli of GPL.
It is bad quality, I know, but I had problems saving it to wmv.
Anyway, enjoy.

I also uploaded it to YouTube:

Attached Files

#10 Rudy Dingemans

Rudy Dingemans

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted Dec 08 2010 - 04:43 PM

That's not a review, is it? (A review is supposed to be critical and point out the high and low points..) It's more of an SOS movie. But the video quality on Youtube is really so atrocious that it'd warrant a reupload.

The music did take me back, though  ;)

#11 vosblod - guest

vosblod - guest
  • Guests

Posted Dec 08 2010 - 05:44 PM

Interesting, never heard of the game but it does whet the appetite for a GPL 30's release.

Edited by vosblod, Dec 09 2010 - 08:40 AM.

#12 Remy

Remy

Matra boy

• Members
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Dec 09 2010 - 03:04 AM

Does Spirit Of Speed work under Vista?

#13 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,408 posts

Posted Dec 09 2010 - 05:51 AM

View PostRemy, on Dec 09 2010 - 03:04 AM, said:

Not sure, i had it running on W98 back then.
And iirc you needed to patch it to be able to run it on XP.
There where also some add-ons available.

Some time ago Broadsword had planned to bring a new game out of Spirit Of Speed.
Never heard from them again :rolleyes: Ah just found this: Broadsword Interactive Ltd. is in liquidation... that explains much

#14 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted Dec 09 2010 - 07:59 AM

View PostRudy Dingemans, on Dec 08 2010 - 04:43 PM, said:

That's not a review, is it? (A review is supposed to be critical and point out the high and low points..) It's more of an SOS movie. But the video quality on Youtube is really so atrocious that it'd warrant a reupload.

The music did take me back, though  ;)

whatever it really means, my video actually tells the features of the game, simply said.

#15 dangermouse

dangermouse

The mobile chicane

• Administrators
  • 5,955 posts
  • Interests:Errrrrr, GPL? :-)
    Music , computing, hi-fi, motor racing
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Dec 09 2010 - 08:06 AM

View PostRemy, on Dec 09 2010 - 03:04 AM, said:

It runs under windows 7 so I would assume it'll run in vista.

View PostRudy Dingemans, on Dec 08 2010 - 04:43 PM, said:

That's not a review, is it? (A review is supposed to be critical and point out the high and low points..) It's more of an SOS movie.
Dictionary:

re·view

v., -viewed, -view·ing, -views.

v.tr.

1. To look over, study, or examine again.
   2. To consider retrospectively; look back on.
   3. To examine with an eye to criticism or correction: reviewed the research findings.
   4. To write or give a critical report on (a new work or performance, for example).
   5. Law. To reexamine (an action or determination) judicially, especially in a higher court, in order to correct possible errors.
   6. To subject to a formal inspection, especially a military inspection.

v.intr.

1. To go over or restudy material: reviewing for a final exam.
   2. To write critical reviews, especially for a newspaper or magazine.

n.

1. A reexamination or reconsideration.
   2. A retrospective view or survey.
         a. A restudying of subject matter.
         b. An exercise for use in restudying material.
   4. An inspection or examination for the purpose of evaluation.
         a. A report or essay giving a critical estimate of a work or performance.
         b. A periodical devoted to articles and essays on current affairs, literature, or art.
         a. A formal military inspection.
         b. A formal military ceremony held in honor of a person or occasion.
   7. Law. A judicial reexamination, especially by a higher court, of an action or determination.
   8. A musical show consisting of often satirical skits, songs, and dances; a revue.

:rolleyes:

There is a patch that gives you the streamliners (Merc and Auto Union), still doesn't excuse the atrocious physics and lack of speed sensation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links