#1 montoyafan

montoyafan

Jochen Rindt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted Mar 25 2005 - 07:26 PM

Hey scotty,

I posted similar in the Portland '67 thread at RSC but since you appear to be the sky and horizon master I thought I would ask you if you could make an accurate sky/Horizon for the Portland track? You see, Portland is, was, and will be again soon my home track and one unique thing is that you can see Mt. Hood clearly from the track looking to the northeast (pretty sure it's northeast)

This would add a great deal to the atmosphere of the track and would mean a great deal to me personally if you would be able and willing to do it.

thanks!!!

Ps- Have you ever considered doing hyper accurate skies and horizons for the original 11 tracks? That would be awesome. I know one person took some sort of GPS satillite maping and converted the data to make absolutely accurate hills around the Lime Rock track. Don't know exactly what he did but it looks damn good. Just a thought.

#2 sheepherder

sheepherder

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted Mar 25 2005 - 08:54 PM

montoyafan, on Mar 26 2005, 01:26 AM, said:

...and one unique thing is that you can see Mt. Hood clearly from the track looking to the northeast ...

Sounds like you want Quattro's Mosport mountain!!!   :lol:

No joke, it does look like Mt Hood...   :thumbup:

#3 scotty

scotty

Lead Dawg

• 428 posts
  • Interests:Seeing how many twinkies I can eat in a 1 hour period.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 25 2005 - 10:41 PM

Hi Montoyafan :wave:

Boy-O-boy......

Thank you for the compliment, but i'm no where near being any sky master. The ones that are uploaded are just really thrown together.  :blink:

I'm sure it would be possible to to create something "close" to what you're looking for, and I believe the the hyper accurate skies that you're referring to were made using terragen. I used terragen in some of the uploads here, and at the GPLR, but mainly for the sky. Unfortuneatly, the skyline/background doesn't come out that clear. 6144x512 isn't terragens favorite resolution.

As i've mentioned to some of the "hyper sensative Realism Gestopo" guys  :cap: , if you want 100% accuracy, that are clear as day, you'll need to walk out to the center of the track in question and take good 360 dgree panoramic photos. Each one will have to be taken at exactly the same height. On large tracks, the angles and perspectives will be wrong using this method though. So, that's a tough one Montoyafan.....
I'll be happy to give it a shot, but I'd never say it'd be 100% accurate.
At the moment, I'm swamped at work, trying to find time for a new track that Ginetto (track making genius) is working on, and getting ready to run at PIR in a few weeks.

I'm willing to give it a shot for ya.  :thumbup:

Got any large, clear, high res photos of Mt. Hood? Is it woodsy in the surrounding area? Farmland? rolling hills in distance or up close?

#4 montoyafan

montoyafan

Jochen Rindt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted Mar 25 2005 - 10:57 PM

Thanks scotty :thumbup:

If you go to the link below I think you will find all you need. There are panoramic views of the whole track, an onboard video of a full lap and several other pictures. If you click on the link that says location it gives you a nice picture of Mt. Hood. You don't see it from the in-car so much because it's overcast and rainy in the northwest most of the time but trust me, on a nice clear day you can see it extremely well from ground level.

Thanks for being willing to give this a shot, maybe driving the track with this update will help me feel a little closer to home until I get there for real.

Portland Intrnt'l Raceway

#5 montoyafan

montoyafan

Jochen Rindt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted Mar 25 2005 - 11:21 PM

Here some phots of Mt. Hood. Couldn't find any really Hi-res ones on the net.

Attached Files

#6 scotty

scotty

Lead Dawg

• 428 posts

Posted Mar 25 2005 - 11:38 PM

Cool Montoyafan :thumbup:

Looks pretty straight forward. From an incar perspective, it's doesn't look like you see too much "distance".
If you don't want every tree, exactly placed where it shows in the the photos, it should be a piece-O-cake.
Actually, I believe that I have some Hi-res backgrounds that'd work pretty good. :thumbup:

#7 montoyafan

montoyafan

Jochen Rindt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted Mar 27 2005 - 12:31 PM

Here's a couple better one's, a little more Hi-Res.

I did some driving and for sure you would see Mt. Hood from the TV-1 view looking back down the front straight and a few places on the back straight as well.

The track itself seems pretty accurate having watched races there and actually driven on the track- not racing- but it seems pretty close.

Hope these are helpful and thanks so much for doing this  :thumbup:

MF

Attached Files

#8 dangermouse

dangermouse

The mobile chicane

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,955 posts
  • Interests:Errrrrr, GPL? :-)
    Music , computing, hi-fi, motor racing
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Mar 28 2005 - 11:08 AM

BTW Guys. I modified Portland so it doesn't clash with the older version. You can get it here:
http://gplmz.bcsims....?showtopic=1524

:wave:

Edited by dangermouse, Sep 23 2005 - 09:40 AM.

#9 montoyafan

montoyafan

Jochen Rindt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted Apr 07 2005 - 09:59 PM

Got anything for me yet Scotty???  :thumbup:  :wave:

#10 scotty

scotty

Lead Dawg

• 428 posts

Posted Apr 08 2005 - 09:16 PM

montoyafan, on Apr 7 2005, 08:59 PM, said:

Got anything for me yet Scotty???  :thumbup:  :wave:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not yet bud. I'm not working Sunday, maybe I'll have a go at it then.
Alot of stuff to do, and gone next weekend. :cap:

#11 montoyafan

montoyafan

Jochen Rindt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted May 06 2005 - 08:41 PM

Sound of crickets chirping :huh:

#12 scotty

scotty

Lead Dawg

• 428 posts

Posted May 06 2005 - 11:03 PM

Attached Files

Edited by scotty, May 07 2005 - 11:43 AM.

#13 montoyafan

montoyafan

Jochen Rindt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted May 11 2005 - 03:47 PM

Sweet!!!!

Is it downloadable yet or are you still tweaking it? Thanks for doing this  :thumbup:

MF

#14 scotty

scotty

Lead Dawg

• 428 posts

Posted May 11 2005 - 09:21 PM

montoyafan, on May 11 2005, 02:54 PM, said:

Sweet!!!!

Is it downloadable yet or are you still tweaking it? Thanks for doing thisĀ  :thumbup:

MF

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just waiting to see if all looks good to you. wasn't 100% sure as to what distance you want MT. Hood at.
It's placed NE, as per the track map.

I'll upload it to the repository, when you're ready. "generic Mt. Hood horizon" will be what it'll be uploaded as. (should keep the realism gestpo from snivelling & whining too much  :lol: )   :cap:

Edited by scotty, May 11 2005 - 09:21 PM.

#15 montoyafan

montoyafan

Jochen Rindt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted May 14 2005 - 09:14 PM

scotty, on May 12 2005, 03:28 AM, said:

montoyafan, on May 11 2005, 02:54 PM, said:

Sweet!!!!

Is it downloadable yet or are you still tweaking it? Thanks for doing this  :thumbup:

MF

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just waiting to see if all looks good to you. wasn't 100% sure as to what distance you want MT. Hood at.
It's placed NE, as per the track map.

I'll upload it to the repository, when you're ready. "generic Mt. Hood horizon" will be what it'll be uploaded as. (should keep the realism gestpo from snivelling & whining too much  :lol: )   :cap:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I didn't want to sound ungrateful, but since you mention it, yeah, it's a little closer than it should be. If it's a hassle to change it just leave it as is, but in reality it is a bit more distant. Hard to explain how it looks IRL because you CAN see it very well from the track, I mean it's a big freakin' mountain, but maybe just push it back some and make it a bit hazier or less detailed if that make sense.

Thanks again for all the work, very deeply appreciated  :thumbup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links