#1 kalathus

kalathus

Jackie Ickx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Dec 24 2009 - 11:09 PM

Sorry if this subject has been brought up before, but I’m trying to play GPL using only the keyboard.  

Yes I know that the majority of advice would be to not do a single lap anywhere just using the keyboard.  But I have no choice right now, and I’m having huge problems even getting to do a lap!!!  

When the game has loaded and I’ve entered my driver details (name, country, car, helmet colour) but I can’t configure the controls for the keyboard on the next screen.  I’ve tried the GPL Key Master (did not work) and the GPL Keys mod (that did not work either).  :(

I installed the game using the GPL installmax_0.97_UK and I’m running Windows XP with all the latest service packs etc….

I just can’t seem to configure the game for the keyboard controls I want, so I can’t play at all.  Can anyone help me, or point me to another forum thread that solves this??

Merry Christmas!!

#2 Burnsy865

Burnsy865

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Dec 24 2009 - 11:49 PM

I don't use a keyboard so I am no help but have a read of this thread, it might help.

http://srmz.net/inde...c...ost&p=35784

:Santa2:

#3 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• Supporter
  • 2,302 posts

Posted Dec 25 2009 - 11:58 AM

When the calibrate screen comes up, just hit OK, since there's nothing to do there with the keyboard keys.  

In the Controllers window, just click on throttle, for example, and hit the key that you want for throttle.  The trouble that you might have is that you can only use the number keypad, unless you follow Craig's link.

#4 Arf Arf Arf

Arf Arf Arf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:4 wheels, 2 wheels

Posted Dec 31 2009 - 05:20 AM

View PostBob Simpson, on Dec 25 2009, 06:58 PM, said:

When the calibrate screen comes up, just hit OK, since there's nothing to do there with the keyboard keys.  

In the Controllers window, just click on throttle, for example, and hit the key that you want for throttle.  The trouble that you might have is that you can only use the number keypad, unless you follow Craig's link.

The link Craig mentions is to my thread. I didn't get anything that helped me here on SRMZ, but did get a few suggestions on RSC that led me to the solution. This meant that I'd posted the solution on RSC, but that's no good to anyone now. From memory the answer is;

Initially you HAVE to use Function keys (F4-F10) for steering and brakes (maybe clutch too, can't remember). Once you have done this you should find you have gained keyboard control over your car. You can then use either of the keyboard utilities to set more comfortable keys for driving, and off you go......

It took me a long time to work all this out, and less than a week to get tired of it!!! Be careful you don't don't kill your keyboard :-)

If this doesn't work, let me know and I'll try to work out what I've missed.

Happy New Year Everyone. Most sadly missed of 2009 will unquestionably be RSC. Many thanks to any and all that contributed to it over the years. I hope that we will all be able to count on SRMZ going forward. Perhaps we should all follow recommendations on other threads to make sure SRMZ has the FUNDS to keep going....

#5 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie & 917 addict

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  • Interests:travel, music, racing, vintage cars, model cars

Posted Dec 31 2009 - 06:08 AM

ricka

i'm surprised you couldn't get help there. in that thread is a link to this thread here where gpl key master is linked, or gpl keys in the 2nd post. i have been using the latter and it did what i wanted. i no longer had to rely on the numpad arrow keys but could put accelerate and brake on a / y(z), shift up and down on the up/down of the 4 arrow block, and left right on, well, left/right of that block too. in fact i think you can reconfigure any key with that.

the one thing you have to remember is that you configure the key config OUTSIDE gpl. so no touchy that once you are back in gpl. just go to race / practice or whatever and the keys are working. if you go to the keyconfig screen they might be set to god-knows-what, disregard on go drive anyway. i have been able to get to drive not using the numpad anymore that way - until i broke out my wheel again eventually. but still.

Edited by sky, Dec 31 2009 - 06:11 AM.

#6 Raoni

Raoni

Raoni Frizzo

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted Dec 31 2009 - 06:57 AM

To settle any key you want to drive, first you have to enter in the game and set only numpad keys to your controls.

Once doing it, close the game and open GPL Keys (the program has to be inside your player folder). Now you can set any key you want, for example, A to accelerate and Z to brake.

Open GPL again and you will see on controls section that your keys will be redefined.

I'm using the following keys to play:

A = accelerate
Z = brake
! = shift down
@ = shift up
" - clutch
< = steer left
> = steer right

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links