Meeching

Jackie Ickx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:GP and LM sports car racing from pre-war to Stewart's retirement
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 21 2019 - 05:52 AM

As a GPL virgin I have succeeded in downloading the updated program to my Windows 10 v 1803 desktop PC.

The program seems to run OK (without multi-tasking access to email, etc in background) but the graphics are awful such that it is not really usable. I have attached screen pictures and copy of my system spec.

I bought the original program when it first came out (pouring over the excellent manual that came with it!) but never had the time to get it set up and use, due to other commitments. Now that I have more I am determined to indulge my passion for this the pinnacle era of GP racing.

Grateful for your help.
Miles Robinson

Attached File  IMG_20190319_200340.jpg   251.88K   93 downloadsAttached File  IMG_20190319_200327.jpg   103.79K   91 downloadsAttached File  System Info.pdf   231.71K   10 downloads

#2 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Mar 21 2019 - 06:09 AM

Hi Miles,

Welcome, welcome.

In-game, on track, is okay?

The menu screens are very low-rez and 2D.
On track is 3D.

FXAA messes things up and causes fuzziness.
Turn it off and see if things improve.

My Nvidia settings are: Default with FXAA turned off.
Works well enough for me in 3D.

2D is just something clicked thru to get on track.

There are lots of reasons many GPLers think Grand Prix Legends is the greatest race sim ever.
DX7/9 is not one of them.

For more info go here:http://srmz.net/inde...ens#entry138785

Hope this helps
:D

Edited by John Woods, Mar 21 2019 - 06:21 AM.

#3 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 998 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Mar 21 2019 - 09:31 AM

Welcome Miles,

even though GPL is 20+ your pc specs are at the limit, Core2 6300 using iGPU, and a resource eating W10 OS. Make shure you have the latest iGPU drivers installed!

My working PC has an i3 4330 with iGPU and can handle OpenGLV2 pretty well.

#4 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,986 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Mar 21 2019 - 02:06 PM

Hi Miles,

The graphics system in GPL was updated some time ago so that players can use modern high resolutions for racing, so when you're on the track you should be seeing something like 1920x1080. However, the GPL menus have always been limited to the old SVGA resolution of 640x480. Most modern monitors can 'upscale' the menus to fill the full screen, and most manage to do it with better quality than you're getting.

Please check the settings on your monitor (not the GPL settings or windows settings) to see if you have something which says "upscaling" or "resizing", and try changing it to a different setting. I think that might solve your problem.

Alternatively, the FXAA anti-aliasing settings in Windows have been known to make GPL screens look messy, as John says above.

I'm afraid I can't be more specific about the details as I've never had this problem myself, I just remember what others have spoken about in the past. If anyone is more familiar with those monitor settings, feel free to add to my information. Good luck finding a fix, and welcome to GPL!

Edited by Saiph, Mar 21 2019 - 02:07 PM.

#5 Meeching

Meeching

Jackie Ickx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:GP and LM sports car racing from pre-war to Stewart's retirement

Posted Mar 22 2019 - 04:32 PM

Thanks vm for your advice, however I haven't had any success with your suggestions.
My graphics card is an Intel®  Q965/Q963 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1), and I think most of these related to adjustments that can be made with a Nvidia card.

I have also found that after downloading Intel's Graphics Control Panel app it gave me an error message saying that it needed an updated driver, which I then found was not compatible with my system. Grrr!

I have also fiddled with the monitor settings, but found they made no difference.

Grateful for any other thoughts.
Miles

#6 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 998 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Mar 22 2019 - 06:30 PM

Any GPU card with ~ 2GB VRAM would help - atm very cheap to get used ones e.g. NV GTX 660 or AMD HD 6850

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links