• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,325 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Feb 10 2017 - 11:26 AM

It's probably because you have a problem in the gpl\seasons\*season.ini file that you're using.

Open that file up and add:

[Eventxx]
name=XXVII Grand Prix de Belgique
shortname=Belgian GP
trackShortName=Spa Circuit National de Francorchamps
trackDirectory=spa67
flag=belflg
month=6
day=18
numberOfLaps=28
startingGrid=5

Making sure that the event is numbered appropriately and at the top you have numEvents=xx equal to the number of events listed in the season file.

Also, to avoid this problem in the future, make sure that you have the latest SGEM file.  Go into GEM > Seasons window and click on the SGEM button at the bottom to update it.

Edited by Bob Simpson, Feb 10 2017 - 11:28 AM.

#22 livasisaac

livasisaac

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Sports, GPL

Posted Feb 10 2017 - 04:13 PM

GEM now does include spa67 as installed. I entered spa67 using direct3d rasterizer and it is very laggy, to a point where when i finish passing through Les Combes, the track becomes incredibly laggy, impossible to drive.

In the The historical 67v2 mod, When I use the direct3d rasterizer, It will just not let me go to race.

Is there something I could do to fix the v2 rasterizers? plz help :(

#23 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Feb 10 2017 - 04:26 PM

Have you tried OGLV2?

Edited by Pete Gaimari, Feb 10 2017 - 04:27 PM.

#24 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,468 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Feb 10 2017 - 05:38 PM

View Postlivasisaac, on Feb 10 2017 - 04:13 PM, said:

Guessing they are working fine.
Likely it is other things and maybe combination of them.
Lagging is usually symptom of overload somewhere.

You are now able to get to Les Combes, so you can use Spa as a test track.
Good news!

See what happens when you turn things off or down, such as turn mirrors off, or reduce mirror display features like clouds, reduce sounds to 4.
If you have the CD, install the oem vanilla carsets.
Install the low rez files for Spa67.
Reduce DX hardware acceleration one click, (goto "dxdiag").

All of these things reduce load, so if they have good effect the cause is load bottle-necking somewhere.
An easy way to reduce load is if possible increase capability by installing any graphics card.

Currently running a dual-core 3.04ghz Pentium 32bit/2GB memory with 1GB Nvidia card and it only rarely gets strained,,,but only running low-rez files when possible and no mirrors. Otherwise, Spa67 is too much and didn't work at all when first loaded up.

Edited by John Woods, Feb 10 2017 - 05:41 PM.

#25 livasisaac

livasisaac

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted Feb 10 2017 - 10:23 PM

View PostPete Gaimari, on Feb 10 2017 - 04:26 PM, said:

Have you tried OGLV2?

Yes, I have tried OGLV2. When I start GPL, It will show my desktop as a background, and I can't do anything except exiting the game

View PostJohn Woods, on Feb 10 2017 - 05:38 PM, said:

View Postlivasisaac, on Feb 10 2017 - 04:13 PM, said:

Guessing they are working fine.
Likely it is other things and maybe combination of them.
Lagging is usually symptom of overload somewhere.

You are now able to get to Les Combes, so you can use Spa as a test track.
Good news!

See what happens when you turn things off or down, such as turn mirrors off, or reduce mirror display features like clouds, reduce sounds to 4.
If you have the CD, install the oem vanilla carsets.
Install the low rez files for Spa67.
Reduce DX hardware acceleration one click, (goto "dxdiag").

All of these things reduce load, so if they have good effect the cause is load bottle-necking somewhere.
An easy way to reduce load is if possible increase capability by installing any graphics card.

Currently running a dual-core 3.04ghz Pentium 32bit/2GB memory with 1GB Nvidia card and it only rarely gets strained,,,but only running low-rez files when possible and no mirrors. Otherwise, Spa67 is too much and didn't work at all when first loaded up.

I installed the low rez spa 67. I loaded spa, i reduced mirror graphics, track graphics, installed low rez spa67, and I was still able to reach les combes

Just one question, What do you think is the cause of the directD3Dv2 rast crashing, and the OGLv2 rast showing my desktop as background?

In terms of, 67 hist v2 mod, what causes the "Could not load"?

#26 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,468 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Feb 11 2017 - 08:51 AM

Reducing load had no effect?
Stilll think its not rasters, which I know nothing about.
Pretty sure also no one is around who can fix them.
Maybe there is but they don't think they are broke.
Plus rasters seem to work very well when there are no other things messing up.

Sorry there are lots of variables with these issues you describe. Have found that sometimes reducing track graphics does not help, (can make things worse), on newer tracks like Spa67.

To be clear, this is only an issue with Historical V2 and Spa67? Other tracks and carsets are ok?
You can run Spa67 with some other carset?
Is there any way you can run Spa67 past Les Combes?
As I understand, the part from the start to Les Combes is the heaviest load part of track.

Things will no doubt improve with a graphics card added.
(Just saying this because this has been always been said).

Forgot to mention I also run a cheap sound card.

Edited by John Woods, Feb 11 2017 - 09:55 AM.

#27 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,535 posts

Posted Feb 11 2017 - 08:55 AM

I wish there was an easy answer. With all the help in this thread you'd be fixed up by now if it was easy. Everything I install just works, so I can't put myself in your spot.

There's something not compatible in your system, or you're doing something wrong during installation.

When you do the install with the 1.08 installer. You do choose the V2 rasterizers from the list right? Not after the install, but during the install.

#28 livasisaac

livasisaac

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted Feb 11 2017 - 10:02 AM

View PostJohn Woods, on Feb 11 2017 - 08:51 AM, said:

Reducing load had no effect?
Stilll think its not rasters, which I know nothing about.
Pretty sure also no one is around who can fix them.
Maybe there is but they don't think they are broke.
Plus rasters seem to work very well when there are no other things messing up.

Sorry there are lots of variables with these issues you describe. Have found that sometimes reducing track graphics does not help, (can make things worse), on newer tracks like Spa67.

To be clear, this is only an issue with Historical V2 and Spa67? Other tracks and carsets are ok?
You can run Spa67 with some other carset?
Is there any way you can run Spa67 past Les Combes?
As I understand, the part from the start to Les Combes is the heaviest load part of track.

Things will no doubt improve with a graphics card added.
(Just saying this because this has been always been said).

Forgot to mention I also run a cheap sound card.

Yes this is only an issue with the v2 mod and spa67. everything else runs perfectly well. I can even run Targa Florio. I can run spa67 with other carsets, but the same thing happens with spa. I'm not so sure if i can do anything at all to get past les combes.

What do you mean with a graphics card added? Does it mean I need to get a newer graphics card? If so, which one do you recommend?

View PostPete Gaimari, on Feb 11 2017 - 08:55 AM, said:

I wish there was an easy answer. With all the help in this thread you'd be fixed up by now if it was easy. Everything I install just works, so I can't put myself in your spot.

There's something not compatible in your system, or you're doing something wrong during installation.

When you do the install with the 1.08 installer. You do choose the V2 rasterizers from the list right? Not after the install, but during the install.

I installed with the v1.08 installer and I clicked on direct3d v2.

#29 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,535 posts

Posted Feb 11 2017 - 10:38 AM

This is a known problem with Spa67. My system is stronger than yours, but it still slows down on the start line area. I also only use 36fps.

#30 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,069 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Feb 11 2017 - 11:12 AM

Best advice that I can give is to 1.) up your system memory to 4GB and 2.) run a 64-bit version of Windows along with the 4GB Patch (only works on 64-bit OS with at least 4GB memory).  A discrete graphics card would be step 3.  :)

#31 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,831 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Feb 11 2017 - 12:34 PM

For what I remember Spa67, with 2GB of Ram will barely work if not at all.
The textures used fill up the whole memory and the system start using the hard drive so everything get stuck.
So yes, if you can, follow Greg's advice :)

#32 Iestyn16

Iestyn16

Tom Pryce

• Members
  • 290 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Music

Posted Feb 11 2017 - 03:58 PM

I didn't realise it was an onboard graphics card..

If an upgrade isn't an option, then the last resort is to unpack the dat and repack it at a much smaller size. I remember Achim did this to get it to run on his old PC.

Yeah, for 60fps with a packed grid on Spa67, I can't run Full objects with 2GB. Just have to remember where the barriers are at :)

#33 livasisaac

livasisaac

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted Feb 12 2017 - 09:48 AM

How can I upgrade my system to a 4GB? Do I have to use the 4GB Patch?

#34 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,535 posts

Posted Feb 12 2017 - 09:56 AM

Buy more memory (ram) and install it. It's a simple thing you can do yourself. The ram just plugs into the slot. Providing your motherboard has room for it. Which it should.

I have to tell you. I have 8GB of ram and my system still slows on the front straight. There's too much going on in that area of the track. I'm not sure how that got through all the beta testing. It isn't necessary to make the track authentic to 67. If I had been one of the testers I would have suggested to cut the graphics back some in that area. It's where we start the race and not having steady fps doesn't make sense.

Edited by Pete Gaimari, Feb 12 2017 - 09:57 AM.

#35 Warren Hall Jr.

Warren Hall Jr.

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff

Posted Feb 12 2017 - 05:17 PM

I've been following this since it started, along with the text display problems in another thread.
several years ago I was looking for a new computer to play GPL. I normally build my own PC. Even building my own PC would cost over 600 or so US dollars. I started looking around for a factory built PC on a whim. I was looking for a dual core processor somewhere over 3 GHZ. There was much talk about GPL not using multiple cores over that. I came across HP factory refurbished PCs. I bought an HP 500-257c for about 400 US. I thought I would have to add a big graphics card and a power supply. After installing all the various GPL programs I tried it out, box stock. Without doing anything it ran GPL perfectly in OPEN GL V2. It also runs D3D V2 with the just little tiny glitches. Even at Spa 67 with an almost full field on line. Honestly! With no chat interference at all.

Hewlett - Packard 500-267c
intel i3 - 4130 @ 3.4 GHZ times 2
it comes with 8 gig of ram I added another stick to bring it to 16 gig, Really saw no difference.
win 7 64 bit operating sys.
on board graphics card is intel HD 4400
total graphics memory is 1696 MB

The mother board will even take bigger chips with better on board graphics. I'm sure there are other PC manufacturers with the same basic specs.
Warren

#36 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,069 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Feb 13 2017 - 08:46 AM

More than 4GB of system RAM is of no advantage for G.P.L.  Using the 4GB Patch on the 32-bit G.P.L. program (exe) will provide up to the maximum unused memory, up to 4GB,  after the 'system' dedicates it's amount for hardware/driver/OS usage.

I am not sure how much VRAM (video) that is dedicated to the graphics chipset can be used by G.P.L.   But, in anecdotal evidence by other drivers/users we believe that a maximum of 2GB or 4GB will be used.

#37 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,491 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted Feb 13 2017 - 05:11 PM

Win 7 32 bit, I 5 at 3.2 Ghz and 4GB of RAM installed, but the OS can use only 2GB .And my GFX graphic memory 1 GB ; With latests GPL track textures + cars high reso textures, the GFX has again some importance.  I have no problem to get max FPS at Spa67 with OGL V2 . 36 fps everywhere with a full carset, that goes down for very few seconds at 30, when  crossing the pits area.
GT carset is suitable to perform the tests, with skins of 1024 X 1024 mixed with 2048 X 2048 textures for some cars ( MK IV and P4 I think ?).
With D3 D V2, there is a huge difference, as the track won't load.

When You 'll be successful to get Spa67 working, the bits on your GFX can have an effect . The larger the pipe is for the VRAM, the best it is for SPA 67. My outdated GFX, fortunately,has 512 bits X 1GB.
256  bits X 1GB  of graphic memory interface only, and there is a good chance it wld put too much strain at some places for Spa67.

When Roman performed multiple  tests with a memory software tool, with complete carsets, Spa67 showed a GFX with 2GB VRAM allowed all the necessary data to be uploaded directly  from the VRAM, that is the best and at the same time enough to have a smooth result with alls the Ai's and with the larger skins textures that Roman released for the demanding GT Mod.Steady 60 fps all around the track.

Edited by M Needforspeed, Feb 16 2017 - 04:15 AM.

#38 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,535 posts

Posted Feb 13 2017 - 05:53 PM

For those of us who don't have 2GB of ram on our Vid cards??

#39 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,491 posts

Posted Feb 13 2017 - 05:55 PM

View PostPete Gaimari, on Feb 13 2017 - 05:53 PM, said:

For those of us who don't have 2GB of ram on our Vid cards??

1GB, only, but as you see, Pete, that 's not perfect, but it can be enough.

#40 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,491 posts

Posted Feb 14 2017 - 03:31 AM

Sorry, post updated .The GFX memory interface is 512 bits, 256 bits or less can be  a problem for Spa67 with 1GB of GFX Ram only.

I remember Spa67 with all pushed at Max and a complete GT carset use roughly 1.2 GB of VRAM ( Roman tests) . Then, 1GB of VRAM ain't enough . because part of the memory goes to the CPU.That 's when the GFX bandwith ( 512 bits  better than 256 bits) can make a difference.
in the posts above, I see Warren has enough GFX VRAM to handle Spa67.

For most of all the others GPL most demanding textured tracks X full carsets, 1 GB of VRAM shld be enough, from what I remember Roman found , with no exchange between GFX and the CPU.

Edited by M Needforspeed, Feb 14 2017 - 04:18 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links