• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:GPL ACC
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Aug 19 2020 - 10:35 AM

hi all

back for more expert advice from you guys

is there a particular car or mod or track that really lets you drift the cars or is that all in the setup and your skill , am i to lead footed on the gas
you know get the back end out and actually hold it around monza, silverstone, spa 67 or what ever tracks you think best i generally just lose it and wipe out or understeer off

Cheers Singion

Edited by singion, Aug 19 2020 - 10:39 AM.

#2 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted Aug 19 2020 - 12:00 PM

View Postsingion, on Aug 19 2020 - 10:35 AM, said:

is there a particular car or mod or track that really lets you drift the cars or is that all in the setup and your skill , am i to lead footed on the gas
you know get the back end out and actually hold it around monza, silverstone, spa 67 or what ever tracks you think best i generally just lose it and wipe out or understeer off

Cheers Singion

IMHO it's in the driving style, the setup and skill.

Personally I try to 4 wheel drift, with a slight tendency to power oversteer/rotation. Trailbraking and scrubbing off as less speed as possible, and straighten out the steering at exit. Balance wise also close to neutral, but slight oversteer. Gives some margin to push the front more if needed. The advantage being smooth is also you can better manage the tires. Less chance of overheating them.

But some drivers, notably guys like  (Super)George Cheeseman, Paul Skingley, or Tom van Ostade like to throw the car into the corner and then hanging out the rear. Just like drift cars a bit.

Working with the diff and rollbars can help a lot for what you like and want to achieve. Modulating the throttle is a must in most cases. Also steering rotation and steering ratio are important factors.

This was in my Interlagos pole lap a few seasons ago in oAo. Lost the rear a bit but kept foot planted with countersteering, without overcorrecting. The trick is basically pointing the front tires in the right direction without losing the rear completely.

Posted Image

This is George Cheeseman hanging out the rear:

Edited by Robert Fleurke, Aug 19 2020 - 12:25 PM.

#3 Millennium

Millennium

ErikGPL

• Members
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Aug 19 2020 - 01:55 PM

I don't think Spa and Monza are very suitable tracks for learning the 4 wheel drifts, the higher the speed the easier it is to lose it.
Interlagos is a good one, or any other track with long / round corners.  

It is indeed interesting how fast drivers have different driving styles. When I see Paul driving I'm often surprised how sideways he goes trough the corners.
But it works for him and he is one of the fastest drivers out there. He also drives with a 270 degrees of rotation I believe, I use 450 myself.

The 1965 cars are the easiest to learn, especially the Brabham BT11 in my opinion. What also helped me was learning to gently release the brake, if you just stab it and let go you are more likely to lose control.

Edited by Millennium, Aug 19 2020 - 02:02 PM.

#4 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,730 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Aug 20 2020 - 06:22 AM

The more you know the more you know you don't know.

Then at some point you just do it.

Maybe something in the thread linked below will help?

http://srmz.net/inde...t=40#entry59141

Edited by John Woods, Aug 20 2020 - 06:33 AM.

#5 Jim Pearson

Jim Pearson

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 290 posts
  • Interests:Trackmaking, Bike Road Racing, Links Golf, Long Distance Walking.

Posted Aug 20 2020 - 08:20 AM

Change the car setup and you can drift anywhere. Try these settings.

Power side diff at 30/
High rear bar settings.
Negative front toe.
No rear toe.
Normal front camber.
Positive not negative rear camber.
Normal font ride height.
Highest rear ride height.

Some of these should make the car loose grip at the rear well before the front. All at once? Never tried it but probably uncontrollable snap "hooks".
Get the correct mix though..... :yikesss:

PS: A true drift or intentional oversteer right through a corner is one where you have absolute control of the return to straight driving after a period of controlled oversteer.
If the car just snaps back suddenly to straight after a period of opposite lock or oversteer, then that is not a controlled drift, or how the real Dan Gurneys etc drove their cars under control at tracks like Zandvoort for example. IMHO of course!

Edited by Jim Pearson, Aug 20 2020 - 08:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links