Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted May 28 2015 - 05:03 AM

View PostFat Rich, on May 26 2015 - 08:18 AM, said:

Longford: Received a book about the track (Barry Green: Longford, Fast Track Back) but not really thinking too much about this one yet. However, if someone wants to send me the build files the Tasman team started it would be great to start familiarising myself.

Did you geht the build files already?

#42 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted May 28 2015 - 05:36 AM

Not yet, I'll send Rob a PM when I've got my tracks in better shape and get some feedback from him once he's driven them. Maybe that'll jog his memory and he'll dig out his info and we can compare notes :)

I really shouldn't be thinking about Longford yet anyway, lots to do with the other 3 tracks plus the 2 alternative layouts.

Edited by Fat Rich, May 28 2015 - 05:37 AM.

#43 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted May 28 2015 - 06:53 AM

View PostFat Rich, on May 28 2015 - 05:36 AM, said:

Not yet, I'll send Rob a PM when I've got my tracks in better shape and get some feedback from him once he's driven them. Maybe that'll jog his memory and he'll dig out his info and we can compare notes :)

I really shouldn't be thinking about Longford yet anyway, lots to do with the other 3 tracks plus the 2 alternative layouts.

Perfect, I also have a beta version (I think it is also including the build files) but Rob`s version might be more up-to-date and I am sure he can help you much better. In case you ever need someone to beta test drive it just PM me. :)

Thx a lot for working on those tracks! :up:

Edit: I don`t know if you have done already. But you could ask Ginetto if you can use files of his Surfers Paradise 1968 track:
http://gpltd.bcsims.com/?sbtd=surferpa
Trees, wooden barrier, ...

Surfers Paradise 1968 - Promotion - Grand Prix Legends [HD]
https://www.youtube....h?v=VdMi03o-4kw

Btw in case you need a promotion movie for one of those tracks in the future .... I would do so. :)

Edited by Stefan Roess, May 28 2015 - 07:01 AM.

#44 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted May 28 2015 - 10:32 AM

Thanks Stefan, a promo movie would be great assuming I get that far...

Ginetto's advice on the initial build of Teretonga was invaluable, when I've got the tracks a bit further I'll send them to him again to get his impressions. Textures aren't really a problem, I've been working as a 3D computer artist for the last 25 years so I can make them pretty quickly, hopefully will increase the amount of mips and 3DOs available for other track builders to use if they want to.

Edited by Fat Rich, May 28 2015 - 10:33 AM.

#45 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 881 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted May 28 2015 - 01:00 PM

Fat Rich are you familiar with this site http://www.sergent.c...or/tasman.html. Not much in terms of pictures but at least 3 or 4 for each year per track. Maybe some you haven't seen yet.

#46 Larko29

Larko29

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:...

Posted May 28 2015 - 07:03 PM

Rich, are you on Facebook at all?

I have the Fabulous Farm book, I'll have to have a look to see what the content is like, from memory it runs through the Tasman meetings held at the track, and was reproduced as part of the 50th Anniversary of the first meeting held there.

The Roaring Season is worth a look too, it has photos from the Bruce Wells collection from Warwick Farm, the Nostalgia Forum also will have images hidden away in various threads.

#47 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted May 29 2015 - 02:34 AM

Thanks guys!

Michkov, was using that site to check laptimes and lap lengths, very useful. And this one too: http://www.oldracingcars.com/tasman/

Larko, Roaring Season is a great site, some great pictures but also worth reading the posts as some of these guys had driven the circuits and give a few little gems of information. Have gone through once for Teretonga but now need to go through again for Pukekohe, Warwick Farm and Longford. It takes ages plus there are all sorts of links that lead to other sites with info, which lead to other sites.... I wasted an afternoon going through thousands of vintage tractor pictures because there were a few rare Teretonga pics in amongst them :sleepy:  :D

I heard that The Fabulous Farm book covers the Tasman races of the 60s but nothing else which is what we're primarily interested in, but for £15 + delivery it's worth checking out anyway.

Edit: I'm still on Facebook I think, haven't looked on there for a while as there are only so many kitten videos, old jokes, and very tall but narrow mobile phone photos of somewhere that's too blurry to tell where it is.

Edited by Fat Rich, May 29 2015 - 11:15 AM.

#48 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted Jun 05 2015 - 09:04 AM

My copy of The Fabulous Farm has arrived and I highly recommend it for anyone interested in Warwick Farm. It covers the International 100 races from 61 to 69 with some great pictures (B&W only unfortunately) and race reports, there are also some driver's eye pictures of each corner which are really useful and clarify some of the slight elevation changes of the track.

I also noticed the same bookshop is taking pre-orders for this:

http://www.automotob...by-tony-loxley/

Looks interesting, hopefully will be released in the next couple of months.

#49 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 881 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Jun 08 2015 - 02:35 PM

I'm just going to leave this video here, might be of some help.
https://www.youtube....h?v=mW_EWR1bxOk

As a general question, what are you looking for in terms of resources?

#50 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted Jun 09 2015 - 02:22 AM

View PostMichkov, on Jun 08 2015 - 02:35 PM, said:

I'm just going to leave this video here, might be of some help.
https://www.youtube....h?v=mW_EWR1bxOk

As a general question, what are you looking for in terms of resources?

Everything and anything! The Super 100 mph videos on Youtube are really useful but it's often the more obscure home cine footage that shows the tracks from different camera angles and help to piece together all the buildings, fences, kerbs, advertising and foliage around the tracks. It's amazing how often I stumble across some info that shows me some track feature I wasn't aware of, for example this footage taken at the Hume Straight showing the buildings at Homestead corner: https://www.youtube....h?v=pkdojDVUK34

#51 Remy

Remy

Matra boy

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Jun 09 2015 - 04:32 AM

https://youtu.be/XMVa38yQoDU

:)

Attached Files

Edited by Remy, Jun 09 2015 - 04:34 AM.

#52 SPman

SPman

Bob Anderson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Golden Era F1 (1960-1990)
    Flying
    Motorbikes
    Steam engines

Posted Jun 10 2015 - 01:21 AM

View PostFat Rich, on Apr 01 2015 - 10:44 AM, said:

Thanks, I've been waiting for info on Teretonga but it's been delayed for various reasons (being on the other side of the planet doesn't help) so I've been getting on with the basic layout of Pukekohe instead.

How good is your memory? Could you talk us through a lap? It would be great to know about camber, dips at apexes of corners, large bumps and elevation changes. So far I've got:

A slight rise over the start finish straight (they moved the startline back to the end of the pitlane in '65 I think)
Slight downhill to the Elbow, maybe a dip at the apex? Hard to tell. - never noticed a dip
Out of the elbow past the stables and under the Dunlop bridge
Downhill entry into the GP loop... but how sharply downhill? Cars seem to disappear in the footage. - drops away a bit to the corner- about 10-15ft
Track levels off as the corner opens up and then a fairly level run up the the 90ish degree corner alongside the railway
Slight uphill entry into this corner, maybe slight dip in the apex here too? - a slight steady rise all the way up that straight to Railway...prob about 6-7ft overall
Long straight alongside the railway with a very slight crest where the tracks bends to the right - yes...have done it at 170mph on a GSXR1000, 10 yrs ago, and it seemed tighter than it looks! All slight rises, then dropped off about 3-4ft . to the hairpin, which had a good camber on it, and lots of seal joins!
Level or downhill entry to the hairpin?
Hairpin seems very cambered and bowl shaped, now there's a huge dip at the apex but was it there in the 60s? - yes
Fairly level exit from hairpin, slightly longer straight than now where the following corner has been eased
Then an uphill left hand bend that's much tighter than the current layout, followed by a dip down where the run off areas narrow over a ditch
Then uphill again and a right hander (alongside a cut in the bank alongside the track)
Then another dip and rise over the start line again - yes. the faster cars could bottom out at this dip coming down from the hill

Some first hand info about the circuit in the 60s would be invaluable!

These videos might jog your memory:

https://www.youtube....z4_2bh&index=69
https://www.youtube....h?v=YWN_2W96ULE
https://www.youtube....h?v=UJQXmIAgEf8
https://www.youtube....h?v=8UZLuCbPw9g

I've already trawled though theroaringseason.com for Teretonga info, will do the same for Pukekohe..... it's a fantastic site full of great info and enthusiam. A bit like SRMZ really! :up:
Well well well - I was at all of those meetings in the videos - in fact, I took three of them.  Keep up the good work!

Edited by SPman, Jun 10 2015 - 01:54 AM.

#53 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted Jun 10 2015 - 02:13 AM

View PostSPman, on Jun 10 2015 - 01:21 AM, said:

Well well well - I was at all of those meetings in the videos - in fact, I took three of them.  Keep up the good work!

I had a suspicion some might have been your videos :D They're going to be really useful as they're taken from different angles to the Alec Mildren videos, and show parts of the track I had no information for.

Many thanks for the comments on the corners and levels... that's going to be very useful indeed. When I've got the levels adjusted maybe I could send you a rough version of the circuit for further comments? There's nothing like actually driving it to see what's right and what's wrong :)

Edited by Fat Rich, Jun 10 2015 - 02:14 AM.

#54 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,491 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted Jun 10 2015 - 06:36 AM

I am happy that you have such help for this track

Oh, I found in my pics archive, the effects of the section with the bump , we cld see on the color report.

Here Jack Brabham at the 67 AGP

Attached Files

Edited by M Needforspeed, Jun 10 2015 - 06:45 AM.

#55 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted Jun 10 2015 - 06:47 AM

Fantastic pic! :D

From what I've read, they only laid the motor racing track at the crossings of the horse track for race weekends, the cost of this was one of the reasons they abandoned motor racing :(

Attached Files

#56 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,491 posts

Posted Jun 10 2015 - 06:49 AM

I guess the answer is yes, but do you have the BW pics from various parts of the track, such the one on my post ? For ten meters, it seems they put four stalls of concrete blocks,instead of asphalt. Brabham jumps  when he crosses this place

Edited by M Needforspeed, Jun 10 2015 - 07:02 AM.

#57 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,491 posts

Posted Jun 10 2015 - 06:57 AM

oh, thks for this info. So they pull away those concrete squared blocks for the horses, and put them back for motor races.

Edited by M Needforspeed, Jun 10 2015 - 07:00 AM.

#58 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted Jun 10 2015 - 08:53 AM

That's what I read in The Fabulous Farm magazine, whether they were prefabricated concrete sections they reused or freshly poured concrete I don't know. Great pics, very useful! Many thanks :up:

#59 Bails MacKenzie

Bails MacKenzie

Ludovico Scarfiotti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Saloon Cars
    Open Wheelers

Posted Jun 13 2015 - 10:04 AM

View PostFat Rich, on Jun 10 2015 - 08:53 AM, said:

That's what I read in The Fabulous Farm magazine, whether they were prefabricated concrete sections they reused or freshly poured concrete I don't know. Great pics, very useful! Many thanks :up:

I can shed a bit of light on those concrete sections, they were iron plates with a concrete layer on the top that were placed over the horse racing track after the horse racing fences had been taken down between meetings.
Eventually the club got tired of all the work involved and the club abandonned the track when the betting agency's made more money for the club than the race track.

Chevron publishing did a run of Australian touring car races, with the majortiy of races on the DVD's at Warwick Farm, I'll check my collection as one dvd has Graham Hill narrating a lap of Warick farm at track level.

edit- Found it!
https://www.youtube....h?v=oYQizzOQM7g

Edited by Bails MacKenzie, Jun 14 2015 - 08:50 AM.

#60 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Historic motor sport, sailing, astrophotography

Posted Jun 13 2015 - 02:25 PM

Superb video!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users