• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Mainly interested in two sims: GPL (and mods) and Nascar 2003 Season (and mods).
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jun 11 2017 - 01:37 PM

I'm not saying I'm OLD... but I will say that back in the day me and Moses used to talk smak about chariot racing.

I think my first PC sim was Bill Elliot's Nascar Challenge? Then there was Nascar Racing, then N2, N3, Indy Car Racing, GP2/etc, rally sims, truck racing... on and on. Plum wore out several Thrustmaster steering wheels n' peddles.

I was out of sim racing for a while... then well over a decade ago I discovered GPL and Nascar 2003 Season. Wow... had simming ever come a long ways in the short time I was inactive!

However, I've been out sim racing again for the past couple years or so until I recently re-discovered GPL and N2003 on some of my old hard drives. Still LOTS of fun to be had... and now I see this fantastic looking 1955 GPL mod!!!

So, now I'm struggling with getting GPL to install on the C drive of this newfangled Win 7 Pro machine I have. It seems to install okay, but when I try to launch the game, Win 7 complains that I don't have "glide2x.dll" and promptly dumps the game.

???

Can any of you point me in the right direction so I can get GPL up and going on the C drive instead of having to play it off one of my older hard drives via an external drive enclosure? (Doing that you don't get some features, such as saves and such.)

Any input would be much appreciated.

Okay, reckon that's all fer now!

Old Simmer

#2 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,325 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jun 11 2017 - 02:21 PM

Hi Old Simmer and welcome.

Have you tried installing the game with the installers.Insert your disc into your drive but don't run the install exe with the game.

Go to the downloaded installer start that exe and it will ask you to point to your cd drive where the gpl cd locates.Then follow instructions to install !

Here are a few links to look at.Anymore problems and the members will help you here.

http://gplworld.org/...tion-guide.html

http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=3714

For other stuff:

Installers

https://gplps.wordpr...-gpl-installer/ (1.08 is the latest)

http://www.gpllinks.org/

Hope this helps !

TP:  :D

Edited by twinpotter, Jun 11 2017 - 02:26 PM.

#3 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Mainly interested in two sims: GPL (and mods) and Nascar 2003 Season (and mods).

Posted Jun 11 2017 - 02:36 PM

Thank you very much for your input, tp!

I'm in the process of downloading the installers from the GPL "wordpress" site as I type. (Trying to type, that is, for some reason this forum software l-a-g-s badly and skips letters if you type too fast???)

I have yet to begin to read the detailed instructions found at some of your links, but I will once I'm done posting this reply.

Am I to assume I need to uninstall my wonky install of GPL on my Win 7 Pro machine before I try again using one of the installers?

Thanks again... all fer now!

Old Simmer

#4 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,325 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jun 11 2017 - 02:44 PM

I would uninstall (if you did from disc in first place) and install from the installer.

You will get a better enhanced gpl game with all relevant updates.

When you install from the 1.08 installer,just go down the drop down lists as there are different addons from different people and also some that relate to online play.Or you could just install what is already ticked in the list.I think the online options are auto ticked by default.But I untick,because I only play offline.

The typing error I used to get with the IE explorer.But if I use chrome or firefox all is okay :think:

TP: :thumbup:

Edited by twinpotter, Jun 11 2017 - 02:44 PM.

#5 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,325 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jun 11 2017 - 02:48 PM

Also a little tip in case you don't know.

When you enter site here.Go to forums tab at top and scroll down.You will see sub sections for gpl and nascar 2003.

Good luck !

TP: :D

#6 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted Jun 11 2017 - 03:13 PM

Thanks again tp:

Seems Black Hole Motorsports is history. When I try to access the links listed from this topic: http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=3714 the link to bhmotorsports.com is redirected to a tee shirt dealer or whatever.

Any ideas where to get the following files that WERE available at Black Hole?

GPL v.1.2 patch
Direct3D patch
OpenGL patch by WiHerr.  See above ^^
GPL CPU speed fix

Guess I need to start a new thread in a more appropriate forum?

#7 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted Jun 11 2017 - 03:21 PM

Hi again All:

A continuation of the "help" portion of this thread can be found here:

http://srmz.net/inde...showtopic=11927

Old Simmer

#8 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,325 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jun 11 2017 - 03:51 PM

Unfortunately Black hole as long gone.Real shame because I used to love that site and it was very handy.

I am not sure if you need those list files as the installer is the best way to install gpl and you may not need those patches you listed :think:

Also if you install mods you have a quick control interface called GEM.Very good utility to have.

http://gem.grandprixlegends.info/

TP:

Edited by twinpotter, Jun 11 2017 - 03:53 PM.

#9 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted Jun 11 2017 - 04:02 PM

Thanks again, tp.  I am getting ready to type out what I "think" I need to do, and what I have downloaded, in my new thread linked above, and you vets confirm I am understanding it all correctly, then I'll be ready to point/click and begin it all!

#10 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,257 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Jun 11 2017 - 07:29 PM

You don't need anything but the 1.08 installer to get GPL running. It has all the patches in it.

#11 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted Jun 11 2017 - 10:13 PM

Thanks Pete. I used the 1.08 installer and I'm up and running, but not without some teething issues! :D

#12 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,257 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Jun 12 2017 - 07:26 AM

Ok, at least you're up and running. We can work out the rest.

#13 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted Jun 12 2017 - 04:59 PM

Agreed: Great to be up and running!  I'm sure I'll have questions about how to this/that... but I'll try to ask them in the correct forum!

#14 Wozza_UK

Wozza_UK

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Sim racing, video games in general, fiction writing.

Posted Jun 21 2017 - 10:08 AM

View Posttwinpotter, on Jun 11 2017 - 03:51 PM, said:

Unfortunately Black hole as long gone.Real shame because I used to love that site and it was very handy.

I am not sure if you need those list files as the installer is the best way to install gpl and you may not need those patches you listed :think:

Also if you install mods you have a quick control interface called GEM.Very good utility to have.

http://gem.grandprixlegends.info/

TP:

Blackhole motorsports is back again! (At least in part it seems). :D

https://forum.studio...is-alive.55837/

#15 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 775 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jun 21 2017 - 10:21 AM

View PostWozza_UK, on Jun 21 2017 - 10:08 AM, said:

Blackhole motorsports is back again! (At least in part it seems). ...

As Thomas Wolfe wrote, "you can't go home again".

There may be another Blackhole Motorsports site, but it will not be the same people, the same threads, the same downloads, the same information.  I remember after RaceSimCentral died someone bought the name and opened a new "RSC", but it was RSC in name only, and soon disappeared (Tim Wheatley apparently owns the domain now, and a new RSC has been promised ...for several years (the page no longer even has the "rebuilding" notice)).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links