Gui

80's Motorsports Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:The world
  • Sim interest:other

Posted May 28 2017 - 08:15 AM

Hey guys, one user who brought the 1975 mod to rF2 (with permission) is extremely interested in bringing the GPLEA cars updated and released for rF2, if he gets permission. It could be a great current platform for historic racing if given support, and it may bring the game developers to give it the attention it deserves. This is the topic https://forum.studio...-f1-1967.55909/ and if anyone can help, this is the perfect time.

Edited by Gui, May 28 2017 - 08:24 AM.

#2 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,115 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted May 28 2017 - 09:17 AM

Well I am a fan of rFactor efforts but don't use it, so comments from me are maybe not so appropriate.
Not sure I understand...why not make a new carset?

On the other hand, don't really like the idea of permissions and rights issues tagging along trying to tell someone what they can or cannot do with a gift.

If someone wants to use the now dated GPLEA cars, maybe with some of  the many new enhancements made by others, why not just race Grand Prix Legends?

BTW Gui, do appreciate your efforts and support of Grand Prix Legends and sim racing in general.

Edited by John Woods, May 28 2017 - 10:09 AM.

#3 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,186 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted May 28 2017 - 10:15 AM

I'd prefer Assetto Corsa do it. I never drove a car in RF2 that felt good.

#4 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 775 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted May 28 2017 - 01:29 PM

View PostJohn Woods, on May 28 2017 - 09:17 AM, said:

... why not just race Grand Prix Legends?...

Many people refuse to use "old" software.  (I've recommended programs only to have the person reply, "Thanks, I went to that site and it hasn't been updated in over a year;  isn't there something new?".)  And a new generation of gamers is so graphics oriented they won't consider anything that looks the least bit dated;  indeed there seems to be a large number of people in racing sims and flight sims today whose only real interest is in making videos of every lap/flight they do to upload to youtube.

Plus, everyone has a favorite sim;  create a mod for any sim and the first five comments will be, "is there a version for this sim?", "can it be converted to that sim?".

#5 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,186 posts

Posted May 28 2017 - 02:20 PM

I want the one with the best physics.

#6 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,578 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted May 28 2017 - 02:24 PM

Right.  It is a simulation ... not a video game.

#7 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,244 posts
  • Interests:everything that has a Ferrari V12 inside

Posted May 28 2017 - 03:11 PM

rFactor 2 physics engine is much more advanced than GPL's.. to be honest, every sim out in the market nowadays is, and also old sims like GTR2 or rFactor are.
The only pro GPL has is that it is more of a complete package. It has a ton of historic tracks and a lot of complete historical carsets, with every detail done just right. Which is a lot, sure. But also for sure it has been outdated on every other aspect. Everyone who follows other forums knows that I defend GPL at every chance I get, but not to the point of being fanatic. Tyre model, brakes' physics, weather, chassis, road properties, you name it. They are all much more advanced and refined now, and have been going as back as 2005 for racing sims. For sure physics fidelity is no longer a GPL strongpoint.

Edited by leon_90, May 28 2017 - 03:12 PM.

#8 salvo rappa

salvo rappa

Jack Brabham

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:only GPL

Posted May 28 2017 - 03:16 PM

NO!

#9 db312

db312

Always in the lead

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Just a fan of Gpl since 2008, fan of plane sim too (Il2-Cliffs of dover, Rise of flight) and in love with music

Posted May 28 2017 - 03:49 PM

If I can say something...
"...every sim out in the market nowadays... are all much more advanced and refined..."
You're certainly right Leon.
I tried to a friend some of these sims, and at the first look, they appeared to me as you say, but...
They don't make me dream...
I don't know why, but GPL has something different, and I don't know what it is... Perhaps it's only in my mind...
And finally, there is something here at SRMZ which has an incomparable value, there is never question of money... Only passion...
For me it's clearly above all...
C'est tout.
:wave:

#10 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,244 posts
  • Interests:everything that has a Ferrari V12 inside

Posted May 28 2017 - 04:30 PM

View Postdb312, on May 28 2017 - 03:49 PM, said:

They don't make me dream...
I don't know why, but GPL has something different, and I don't know what it is... Perhaps it's only in my mind...
And finally, there is something here at SRMZ which has an incomparable value, there is never question of money... Only passion...
For me it's clearly above all...

Exactly. GPL has the nostalgia factor. Beware, I am using the term in a positive way. GPL is the most immerisve historical experience you can get. You really feel like a driver from the sixties (and fifties now :D). You drive exact replicas (model wise) of the cars in exact replicas of the tracks. With a competitive AI that mimics the real drivers of the time. Nowhere else in simracing you can experience something like this.
The community is also very passionate and shares a deep culture into the subject, which also has no competition. All other forums are full of people which just hop on the seat and drive. They do nothing else. Meanwhile, they pretend to be respected as gurus. Puah!

But, unfortunately, GPL lags behind physics, sound and graphics wise (I chose this order on purpose). There's no arguing in that.

#11 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,115 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted May 28 2017 - 04:32 PM

View Postjgf, on May 28 2017 - 01:29 PM, said:

Many people refuse to use "old" software.

Many people, maybe different people, don't seem to mind converting it, as jgf noted, especially when its a new track or some old car skins.

:D

Edited by John Woods, May 28 2017 - 04:45 PM.

#12 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted May 28 2017 - 05:50 PM

True, GPL has been superseded in every technical parameter by nearly every sim released in the past fifteen years;  but its continuing appeal lies in the intangibles -  GPL has an aura, an ambience, not created by most other sims (in fact the only other sim to create this feeling, for me, was GPL's predecessor, ICR2).  But this appeal isn't evident unless you are willing to learn to drive the cars ...and most gamers today aren't interested, or willing, to learn anything (how often have you seen forum posts such as, "do you have some setups I can download, I don't have time to learn to make my own").  And while there have been some nice "GPL" mods for various sims, none have captured this ambience.  GPL has been on every computer I've had since April '98, and there's little likelyhood it will be removed in the foreseeable future.

This attitude towards involvement is exemplified by a blog I read recently regarding Skyrim, (paraphrasing) "I created a character, visited a couple of dungeons, went to a nearby town, then walked to a larger town.  At this point I realized I'd been playing five hours, and this is all I'd done!  I don't have time to search every little corner looking for loot.  I don't have time to talk to every NPC looking for quests.  I like a game I can play through in 12-15 hours and move on".   (I was appalled, if I buy a game and only get 15 hours of play I feel cheated.)

Edited by jgf, May 28 2017 - 05:55 PM.

#13 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,578 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted May 28 2017 - 06:36 PM

"I like a game I can play through in 12-15 hours and move on."

We used to call those beer & pretzel games.... board games that you could play in one sitting.  Other more realistic, down in the dirt, tactical wargames would take you a week of evenings to move through one small village.  ;)

Edited by gliebzeit, May 28 2017 - 06:38 PM.

#14 Gui

Gui

80's Motorsports Fan

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:The world
  • Sim interest:other

Posted May 28 2017 - 07:25 PM

The thing with GPL is, as stated in previous posts in this topic, it's a complete package focused on a classic F1 season. Only Rouen is the track that doesn't belong but none of us minds it. But GPL is dated and not the friendliest to get running adequately, among other adjustability factors, thus the desire for it being available in a modern platform. Leon nailed it.

The quest for permission is that recreating a car to today's standards takes a lot more work. This wouldn't tick that requirement box but it still could be done to be acceptable looking with the driving experience and hopefully immersion being there. So far there's one user creating a detailed model of a 1967 (F2) car and that's it. There's a reasonable pool of players who would be interested in these cars (and other ones) but no studio will take the plunge, so we continue to rely on modders. Maybe with them doing this much, developers can see the passion still there in a tangible manner, and maybe do something about it. rF2 has a licensed 1967 Eagle F1 since 2011 or so and yet never developed it, as an example.

#15 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,186 posts

Posted May 28 2017 - 07:35 PM

View Postleon_90, on May 28 2017 - 03:11 PM, said:

rFactor 2 physics engine is much more advanced than GPL's.. to be honest, every sim out in the market nowadays is, and also old sims like GTR2 or rFactor are.
The only pro GPL has is that it is more of a complete package. It has a ton of historic tracks and a lot of complete historical carsets, with every detail done just right. Which is a lot, sure. But also for sure it has been outdated on every other aspect. Everyone who follows other forums knows that I defend GPL at every chance I get, but not to the point of being fanatic. Tyre model, brakes' physics, weather, chassis, road properties, you name it. They are all much more advanced and refined now, and have been going as back as 2005 for racing sims. For sure physics fidelity is no longer a GPL strongpoint.

That's why I said AC.

We already have GPL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links