• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 07 2017 - 01:06 AM

There was no secret formula or ingredient to establishing my better time.
Its like others say,learn how to set up your car,learn the setup tweaks,what they do and how you not only want to get faster,but match up with your style of driving and control setup.
There is lots of info on here,gpl links and other parts of the internet regarding setups for gpl. Get as much info as possible. Be patient but above all enyoy not only the challenge but the journey.

TP: 😃

#17 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,115 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Mar 07 2017 - 07:21 AM

View PostLyddell, on Mar 06 2017 - 07:54 PM, said:

With thanks to Pippen & John
Have shaved a ¼ of a second off my 67 Rank time to +9.6

Maybe in another 10 years ...

:D

Took me forever to go negative overall. One reason, sort of, was due to avoiding the Ring because of being so miserable at it.

Then finally, hovering along at about +10 or so, noticed Nurburgring offers the best opportunity get lower because it is so long. There are lots of seconds to shave off.

So went all out on the Ring. My Rank went down almost daily.
Soon enough, (not sure how long it took), went negative overall in the Lotus.

Appreciate your comments Lyddell, good racing.

Edited by John Woods, Mar 07 2017 - 07:33 AM.

#18 Pippen

Pippen

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Mar 07 2017 - 08:26 AM

I tested some setups and got faster instantly. Now I can drive a low 1:32. All the setup's have in common that they pull the car somehow to the right, esp. when breaking, in some setup's you even can't break heavily or the car will break loose. I think the key is to avoid sliding around too much in the curves. Right now I slide too much, maybe I have to try a smoother style for right now I drive like an angry Mansell: very hard on the brakes, very hard on the accelorator.

#19 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,186 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Mar 07 2017 - 08:43 AM

Yes, you have to be smooth in GPL. Just like they had to be with the real cars. Hard bias ply tires didn't have the grip of slicks.

You mentioned going full throttle through Curve Grande. In 5th gear? Nobody comes close to that with the 67 F1 cars. I actually brake and shift down to 4th to keep close to curb and a tight apex so I can accelerate hard off the turn. I do 1.27's. In slow -out fast is the way to fast laps.

#20 Pippen

Pippen

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted Mar 07 2017 - 06:04 PM

Here is what I've done:

I went to the driv67 config. and changed the "qualifying" and "quickness" for every driver by -0.1. Now the best drive Monza in 1:34, the worst 1:43. My question is: Why all the AI tweaking stuff if one can just do what I did or is there something I miss? (I had also installed a slow driver. ini and changed npt_overide to 1.50 but it didn't have any effect on the qualifiying times) What would happen if I just change the driv67.config and nothing else. Would my opponents drive those 6-8s slower in all races no matter what? 'Cause then this shortcut would be much better (simpler) than tweking the AI....

Edited by Pippen, Mar 07 2017 - 06:11 PM.

#21 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,186 posts

Posted Mar 07 2017 - 08:30 PM

Wouldn't it be better to try and get faster than slow the AI? You're not supposed to beat the AI for a long time. Even if you end up being one of the fast guys, it takes time. Don't treat GPL like any other game. It's a simulation. What are you simulating if you slow down the AI?

#22 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,115 posts

Posted Mar 08 2017 - 10:13 AM

Changing 38 variables in driv67, (two for each Ai), messing with drivers, changed npt? Lots of work compared to a few clicks in GEM+.

But its a good start.

Its fun to pass cars, plus you have to learn how to do it, so no problem slowing the AI and speeding it up as you improve skills.

That said, if you cannot keep up with the baseline backmarker vanilla Papy AI, you need to work on skills and not so much care about what the AI are doing.

If you set NPT to zero, (think that's right), a subroutine called Global Hype Scaling will adjust the AI over several driving sessions and eventually you will find yourself qualifying in the middle of the grid. You have to get good enough at driving to deserve to be there...its part of the game. First you have to get good enough to qualify 19th, then 18th, 17th etc.

With Grand Prix Legends pretty much everything is out there except for some of the most critical parts of the physics engine, which thankfully guru guardians of the code keep secret to maintain integrity.

No need for secrets with the AI, so there is lots of info and users are welcome to get into it as much as they want to or not.

My preference is to very rarely mess with it except for installing updates and only concentrate on the car ahead as that is the only one that matters to me.

Edited by John Woods, Mar 08 2017 - 10:34 AM.

#23 Pippen

Pippen

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted Mar 08 2017 - 10:45 AM

Actually, it's enough to only manipulate gpl_ai and there the point "npt_override" (higer value = slower opponents).

The problem is I am not that new to racing simulations, played Microprose F1 back in the day, then Indycar Racing (I was a huge Mansell fan back then). After 10 hours of exclusively racing at Monza, trying fast setup's from others just to be stll 4s slower than the best which basically means a pretty low starting grid position, I am convinced that it takes A LOT of work to come into a region where you could even only drive for championship points. In the amount of time to master this game I could study math and graduate or learn to play decent piano or whatever, so it's an evaluation if it's worth it...and for me it seems too much work ahead. I rather want to enjoy the beautiful graphics and be in the middle of thrilling races where I can be what I can not in reality: a competitive driver.

But I will still try to improve, just with a lot more laid back attitude. Who knows, maybe one day I can go 1:28 in Monza and deliver the real AI a good fight. BTW: Just tried AMorrison's setup where he was able to drive 1:29 in Monza with keys. Couldn't finish one single lap even after trying for an hour :), the car feels so awkward and breaks loose so quickly, but it's a fast setup for sure. The best setup so far I found is from Ferdinand Schulze (google him, he has all the setups available). You can drive a 1:33,06 with it and the car behaves well, just takes about 10 laps to get into it.

#24 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,302 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Mar 08 2017 - 12:12 PM

Pippen. With all respect here,I think you are missing the point.
Even though setups are very very important,don't put your full reliance on them. Especially other peoples setups. It is not only better to learn to find your very own setups but equally to master your driving technique. Equally don't get too hung up on trying to rush to the front of the grid,or even midfield. It just ain't gonna happen straight away. You have to put in the time,sit back,relax and enjoy. Don't try run before you can walk. Find out your driving style,car setups and the games engine on car reaction.
I tell you this,as most others would here,that from my own personal experience,it takes time. Lots and lots of time.
I know that in say months time,you will be back on here,posting threads and boasting about your qaulity times at Monza and other places.
Just be patient,enjoy the journey and when you first do a really competitive time, I am sure you will be doing cartwheels across the floor and maybe opening a bottle of champers.
Believe me it's better that way 😊😃

TP:

#25 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,115 posts

Posted Mar 08 2017 - 01:02 PM

Tried to learn jazz piano.
Takes a long long time to have fun with that.

Grand Prix Legends was too much fun from the start and still is.

The only time math made sense to me was when there was some need to use it.
Grand Prix Legends is math only you don't need numbers lines symbols because you are the equation.
You are the point on the line.
Drivers apply math and rely on its proofs to push the limits of possibility, whether they know it or not.

Enjoy it as you say, lots of amazing tracks, cars, mods, and history of motorsport, and time will make you better at it.
One thing, unlike piano, it is a simulator that teaches good things to know if you ever really really need the skills.

Edited by John Woods, Mar 08 2017 - 04:37 PM.

#26 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,186 posts

Posted Mar 08 2017 - 04:59 PM

You'll be hating life when you drive Monaco and Nurburgring. Check out how fast the AI are at those tracks.

What's wrong with racing the slower AI? Do you only have fun when you win?

Edited by Pete Gaimari, Mar 08 2017 - 04:59 PM.

#27 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,115 posts

Posted Mar 09 2017 - 07:08 AM

View PostPippen, on Mar 08 2017 - 10:45 AM, said:

rather want to enjoy the beautiful graphics and be in the middle of thrilling races where I can be what I can not in reality: a competitive driver.

Exactly. +1

Next step...add lots of tracks.

Too many to suggest so skipping list except for a few that are special to me.
Road America, Dundrod, Machwerk, Panorama, Solitude, Cerne's Wood, Brno49, Glen48, Crystal Palace...okay maybe 50 or 100 or so more.

Skid Fun is great place to practice car control and changing/testing setups.

Another that offers a good start when developing skills, (spent a lot of time there), is Mallory Park Oval.
Very short, so lap time feedback in less than a minute.

Yes Pete, I agree...with respect to Grand Prix Legends winning against slowed down AI is a silly vain glory.
But if its fun for some, well, its still fun.

Edited by John Woods, Mar 09 2017 - 07:57 AM.

#28 Andy Clegg

Andy Clegg

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Long distance sports car racing. Touring cars.

Posted Mar 09 2017 - 09:55 AM

Sebring, Albi and Bikernieki are good to drive.

#29 Remco Hitman

Remco Hitman

ELF Team Tyrrell

• Members
  • 866 posts
  • Interests:Simracing
  • Sim interest:rFactor

Posted Mar 12 2017 - 03:23 AM

Hi Pippen,

Well, in spite of all the well meaning feedback here I must say that you need to get a wheel, and soon! Any wheel, even a €10 second hand plastic Mad Catz pos will be better than using keys.

Yes you can sort of have fun and people have even gone negative using keys, but GPL is hard and frustrating enough by itself and, let's face it, you're not learning to actually race without a wheel and pedals.

Believe me, the Thrustmaster T2 was :crap: looking back, but coming from keys to something round that you could stomp on was like simracing heaven.

#30 Pippen

Pippen

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted Mar 13 2017 - 07:02 PM

I can now drive 1:32:50 in Monza with the Standard-Setup! What can u drive with that - no matter if with keys, joystick or wheel?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links