- - - - -

Video Capture Program...much Better Than Fraps For Gpl Capture?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Pawgy

Pawgy

Pawgy

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Interests:Sim racing, WW2 flying and real Golf
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 24 2015 - 10:16 AM

Installed bandicam and can get good video when I record the gpl replays.  But I do not get any sound.   tried both PCM and mPEG 1l2 settings. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Am recording the video with the AVI setting. the help section of bandicam suggests setting the stereo playback of my audio but there is no stereo playback on my sound settings

Edited by Pawgy, Mar 24 2015 - 11:19 AM.

#17 t3r

t3r

edteach3r

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Formula 1 1965 - 1977 fanatic

Posted Dec 24 2015 - 09:59 AM

Having experimented with OBS for months now, and being unsuccessful to get it to work on my PC (sound, but no picture; or sound with only a static picture of the grid), I took the plunge and purchased Bandicam.  It is working so well, using the H264 - APP (VBR) codec on my dual AMD Radeon HD 7800 cards  ... extremely simple to set up and use , with no FPS hits.   Thank you very much for pointing this out, Jim!

:thankyou:

#18 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,613 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Nov 25 2016 - 06:27 AM

My graphics card settings do not work for capturing G_P_L like they did in the past.
I have already done some capturing on the "new" system (now Windows 10 and different Nvidia drivers) for the 55 beta mod but not with a full grid yet and in cockpit, so I didn`t notice the FPS drops. I didn`t have them in the past. Especially as I want to capture live while driving, showing the new way to shift in the Connaught ;) :shhh:  . Even so it will only be a short scene it should of course not look stuttering.

This FPS loss may be related to Windows 10 and updated Nvidia graphics card drivers.
As there have been several updates since the last movie I did (must have been Can-Am 66) I can`t even go back to older drivers or an older Windows configuration.

I have been playing with my graphics card settings for G_P_L for many hours over the last days.
To find the optimum settings for good graphics and good FPS while capturing.

I tested on different tracks. With OpenGL v2 and Direct 3D v2 rasterisers and almost all combinations of Antialiasing (AA) and so on...
I found out that I get the best FPS ony my PC system (specs see below) with Direct 3D v2. Great for racing BUT not usable for video capturing as I get massive FPS drops (even down to 10 FPS :yuk:  ) when I capture on Direct 3D v2. Especially when I capture in cockpit view, no matter if I capture live while driving or from a replay.
It also does not matter if I capture with FRAPS, or BANDICAM, or OBS STUDIO.

Edit:
FPS loss while capturing solved, see post #19 and #20.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Btw I have read rumors that FRAPS should get updated for Windows 10, the latest FRAPS version is from 2013.
Atm I like BANDICAM (thx for the tip Jim Person!) the most as it is easier to use than OBS STUDIO and you can save the captures in .AVI, almost like FRAPS, but FRAPS is uncoded! So you get files with the size of several GB.
This is quite important for me as I do most video cutting with VirtualDub 1.9.11 that can only read .AVI files.
With VirtualDub I can save the files with x264 codec, that I then load into my video editing software.
I can of course also cut and edit scences of any single capture in my video editing software, but I prefer to do it in VirtualDub as it is really easy
when you have the "perfect" settings.
Attched are my VirtualDub settings in case someone might ever need it.
Use them via "Load proccessing settings...".

The positive side effect of using VirtualDub is that I can cut the black bars of G_P_L and that also removes
the BANDICAM slogan (of the not registered version) on top of the capturing. Posted Image

My BANDICAM video settings:
- AVI
- full size
- FPS 60
- Codec H264 (NVIDIA NVENC)
- Quality 80
- Audio MPEG-1 L2
- Bitrate 192
- Stereo
- Frequence 48000

OBS STUDIO is freeware and great for direct streaming to YouTube or any other channel.
Video capturing is also good, but you need to edit the settings a lot more to get good results for G_P_L than with FRAPS or BANDICAM.
A "negative" point for me is that you can only capture a coded version (best is the H264 NVenc (of Nvidia) or the x264 codec).
Atm none of the export/save video file formats (best is MP4) of OBS STUDIO I can open with VirtualDub as VirtualDub can only open AVI.
But that is only me and for capturing Grand Prix Legends. For others this tool might be great, depening on what kind of video project you want to do.

Here is a good guide to setup OBS Studio for capturing.
OBS Studio BEST Streaming & Recording Settings [Tutorial]
https://www.youtube....h?v=CbYMEOYonbo
-> as mentioned in the video set x264 options to: openCL=true

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to my graphics card settings and testing for capturing on my current system (for the 55 beta mod AND other Grand Prix Legends mods).
There are also certain AA settings where I only get constant 30 FPS, not more and not less.
Really strange. Just like those settings would limit the game to 30 FPS.

Attached are the very low settings of nvidiaProfileInspector 2.1.3.3  that work for capturing from all angles and in cockpit.
In the distance it is a bit blurry but that is not so obvious when coded, as there is a quality loss anyway.
But I can change to harder graphic card settings when capturing outside of the car.

But sadly I can`t capture on Direct 3D v2 where I get the best FPS on my system, because of massive FPS drops whilce capturing (especially in cockpit view, live and from a replay), as written above.

I hope these infos might be helpful for others.
Posted Image

Here are my system specs:

PC Wizard 2015 Version 2.14
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Owner:xxxxxxxx
User: xxxxxx
Computer Name: xxxxxxxx
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro Professional 6.02.9200
Report Date: Freitag 25 November 2016 at 13:12

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<< System Summary >>>

> Mainboard : Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4

> Chipset : AMD 790X

> Processor : AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 2400   MHz

> Physical Memory : 8192  MB  (4 x 2048 DDR3-SDRAM )

> Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

> Hard Disk : SAMSUNG HD502HJ ATA Device (500GB)

> Hard Disk : SAMSUNG HD503HI ATA Device (500GB)

> DVD-Rom Drive : Alcohol V-SATA CD/DVD

> DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST BD-RE  BH10LS38

> DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22LS50

> DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVDROM DH16NS30

> Monitor Type : Asus VS278 - 27 inches

> Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

> Operating System : Windows 10 Pro Professional 6.02.9200 (64-bit)

> DirectX : Version 12.00

***** End of report *****

Edited by Stefan Roess, Jul 26 2017 - 05:51 AM.

#19 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Nov 25 2016 - 10:00 AM

> Processor : AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 2400   MHz :yikesss:

Are you throtteling down your CPU?
Try to disable in bios the Cool&Quiet and C6e when you run GPL capturing!

I have these standard disabled in bios and use the PhenomMsrTweaker in Windows.

#20 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,613 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Nov 26 2016 - 09:27 AM

View PostCookie, on Nov 25 2016 - 10:00 AM, said:

> Processor : AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 2400   MHz :yikesss:

Are you throtteling down your CPU?
Try to disable in bios the Cool&Quiet and C6e when you run GPL capturing!

When I bought the PC it was optimized to 6x 3750 MHz.
Some time ago I had set it back to default in BIOS as a game or a programm (I don`t remember) didn`t work with overclocked settings.
I have totally forgotten that I had set it back. Thx for pointing me to it, Axel!

After some testing I have it overclocked to 3.4 GHz. Not to 3.7 GHz as Windows 10 didn`t boot anymore, but this is also fine.
This guide helped me:
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Overclock
https://www.youtube....h?v=U1tCqg3uDjQ

The tool PC Wizard 2015 Version 2.14 still show AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 2400 when you export the system data to a text file,
but when you click on details in the program you can see that this is just the basic value. It actually is running @ 3400 MHz.
See Windows System and CPU-Z screenshots attached.

Now I will check if there is a performance both when I capture from GPL for the movie. There should be an improvement.

Edit: In deed, now even capturing while driving (to recording shifting, that would not be visible at a replay) works with constant 36 FPS. :up:

Attached Files

Edited by Stefan Roess, Nov 27 2016 - 12:58 PM.

#21 Millennium

Millennium

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted Jul 25 2017 - 07:50 AM

I've used OBS for a while, but with mixed results. All of a sudden it stopped capturing GPL and just gave a black screen with only sound. Since GPL can't be minimized there is also no way to directly add the application to OBS, because that only works when a windos is already running. Using a hotkey to switch to anything on the foreground also stopped working.

Just tried the trail version of Bandicam, and I must say I'm very impressed and must agree with Edteach3r. File size is good, recording is easy and the quality is a lot better than anything I tried to capture with OBS. Also peformance while recording is better, something I did not expect.

The quality suffers a bit when it's uploaded to youtube, but that probably is inevitable.

Edited by Millennium, Jul 25 2017 - 07:56 AM.

#22 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• Supporter
  • 2,215 posts

Posted Jul 27 2017 - 11:47 AM

You can run GPL in a window by using the original D3D rasterizer and in the core.ini set
[ Rasterizer ]
fullScreen=0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links