Cheeveer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 30 2010 - 04:23 AM

Hi

I downloaded the latest driver for ATI Radeon HD 4800 gfx card this week and since then the graphics in GPL hasn't worked properly. It did work perfectly before.
Now in Direct3Dv2 mode, the graphics flicker when in the race menu screen, and when I go into the car, the screen becomes totally black. I can return to the menus, but now the text has disappeared.
In OpenGLv2 mode, the graphics looks fine, but it stutters a lot and it feels like you are driving in slow motion.
All this happened when I was about to sort out the controls for the sport cars mod, so it is very frustrating!

This is my specs:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ 3,00ghz
3GB RAM
Windows Vista 64-bit

I've gone through the troubleshooting guide but didn't find anything that could help me. I'm assuming it is a driver issue.

Any help to solve this mystery would be very appreciated!

#2 ptmac3

ptmac3

Monza Gorilla

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted Sep 30 2010 - 05:04 AM

Have a look through this thread and this one too.

#3 jonelsorel

jonelsorel

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted Sep 30 2010 - 02:54 PM

Cheeveer, I had the exact same thing happen to me in D3D (5850 here) after installing the 10.8 drivers in august. It didn't go away with 10.9. I tried reverting to 10.7, problem persists. I'm using Driver Cleaner .NET between uninstall and install, but I think some files evade the cleanup process. OpenGL solved it for me, if you can call it that.

I'll be trying the tip on the second page of the second link recommended by ptmac3 (previous post) to see if it changes anything.

Edited by jonelsorel, Sep 30 2010 - 03:03 PM.

#4 Cheeveer

Cheeveer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted Oct 05 2010 - 07:27 AM

View Postjonelsorel, on Sep 30 2010 - 02:54 PM, said:

Cheeveer, I had the exact same thing happen to me in D3D (5850 here) after installing the 10.8 drivers in august. It didn't go away with 10.9. I tried reverting to 10.7, problem persists. I'm using Driver Cleaner .NET between uninstall and install, but I think some files evade the cleanup process. OpenGL solved it for me, if you can call it that.

I'll be trying the tip on the second page of the second link recommended by ptmac3 (previous post) to see if it changes anything.

Sorry 'bout the late reply, but did it work?

#5 Bernd Nowak

Bernd Nowak

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,715 posts

Posted Oct 05 2010 - 07:33 AM

I had this problem too. But the Catalyst 10.9a hotfix solved those problems. You can get it here from AMD/ATI: http://support.amd.c...t109Hotfix.aspx

I have used this driver with Windows 7 64 bit and without driver cleaner stuff. D3Dv2 and OpenGLv2 now runs without problems with my ATI 5770 card. I hope that this helps.

#6 Akseli - guest

Akseli - guest
  • Guests

Posted Oct 05 2010 - 08:59 AM

Thanks for the hint Bernd. Testing...

#7 Cheeveer

Cheeveer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted Oct 05 2010 - 01:49 PM

View PostBernd Nowak, on Oct 05 2010 - 07:33 AM, said:

I had this problem too. But the Catalyst 10.9a hotfix solved those problems. You can get it here from AMD/ATI: http://support.amd.c...t109Hotfix.aspx

I have used this driver with Windows 7 64 bit and without driver cleaner stuff. D3Dv2 and OpenGLv2 now runs without problems with my ATI 5770 card. I hope that this helps.

Fantastic! That solved all my worries. :)

#8 jonelsorel

jonelsorel

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted Oct 05 2010 - 03:17 PM

Thanks Bernd, will try with 5850 now!

EDIT: works! installed right on top of 10.9. Apart from the flickering letters and buttons under replay and a small square mirror on the top left of the screen which I don't know where I got from, everything's fine. This sure took long for them to look into..

Edited by jonelsorel, Oct 05 2010 - 03:38 PM.

#9 ptmac3

ptmac3

Monza Gorilla

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted Oct 06 2010 - 05:11 AM

View Postjonelsorel, on Oct 05 2010 - 03:17 PM, said:

Thanks Bernd, will try with 5850 now!

EDIT: works! installed right on top of 10.9. Apart from the flickering letters and buttons under replay and a small square mirror on the top left of the screen which I don't know where I got from, everything's fine. This sure took long for them to look into..

I have pretty much the same result. I use the Digital Display Modifier which flickers and the small mirror on the top left where the black bar should be all the way across. I did not check out replay. The instructions for the hotfix state this:

Applicable Products:
This article applies to the following configuration(s):

• Hardware
    • ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 series of products
    • ATI Radeon HD 4850 X2 series of products
  • Operating System
    • Windows 7 32-bit Edition
    • Windows 7 64-bit Edition
    • Windows Vista 32-bit Edition
    • Windows Vista 64-bit Edition
My pc does not have the exact hardware requirement.

#10 Bernd Nowak

Bernd Nowak

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,715 posts

Posted Oct 06 2010 - 05:18 AM

It is for a much more then those listed:

Here's the customer response:

Dear Customer,
Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[8200353376]} has been reviewed and updated.
Response and Service Request History:
Thank you for the feedback, I have directed it to the Catalyst Crew Team, just incase they are not aware of the issue.
There are many fixes that are not listed in the hotfix notes, they tend to just list the most critical ones they worked out.  
In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.
Best regards,
AMD Global Customer Care

There are some release notes somewhere but I can''t find them at the moment.

#11 ptmac3

ptmac3

Monza Gorilla

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted Oct 06 2010 - 06:33 AM

View PostBernd Nowak, on Oct 06 2010 - 05:18 AM, said:

It is for a much more then those listed:

Here's the customer response:

Dear Customer,
Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[8200353376]} has been reviewed and updated.
Response and Service Request History:
Thank you for the feedback, I have directed it to the Catalyst Crew Team, just incase they are not aware of the issue.
There are many fixes that are not listed in the hotfix notes, they tend to just list the most critical ones they worked out.
In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.
Best regards,
AMD Global Customer Care

There are some release notes somewhere but I can''t find them at the moment.

That's interesting Bernd. For now, OGLv2 works just fine. There are some limitations to it though, like not being able to use 32 bits, although I haven't retried that yet with this hotfix. And then there is the invisible blinking cursor when trying to name a replay or setup file. It's just not there. And I can't use triple buffering without seeing corruptions in the various menu screens, but who knows if triple buffering would help anything anyway. Other than those things, right now, OGLv2, for GPL, is the *hit man! I definitely can't live with the little mirror in the top left or the flickering numbers in D3Dv2.

#12 jonelsorel

jonelsorel

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted Oct 06 2010 - 08:09 AM

@ Mods:  could this be stickied?   I think there's about 5 separate threads concerning ATI & D3D rasterizer issues, which I think have been solved for many by Bernd's solution here.

:thumbup:

#13 pingu666

pingu666

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Oct 10 2010 - 04:46 AM

View Postjonelsorel, on Oct 06 2010 - 08:09 AM, said:

@ Mods:  could this be stickied?   I think there's about 5 separate threads concerning ATI & D3D rasterizer issues, which I think have been solved for many by Bernd's solution here.

:thumbup:

gonna give this a go in a minute, hope it works out for me :) then gotta get it set to 1920x1200.. :x

#14 pingu666

pingu666

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Oct 10 2010 - 05:19 AM

oks, installed the hotfix, with d3d im getting flickering in menues sometimes :\. calibration box, and when you leave the track and theres the small replay window, flickers there, sometimes green gunked text aswell on driver name etc. which .dll/raster or whatever is best to use? fiddled about abit before trying to fix it, so dont know what im using now :(

#15 fpolicardi

fpolicardi

Graham Hill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted Oct 18 2010 - 04:08 AM

Anyone knows if the Hotfix works with Win XP?
Ciao

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links