burt

burt

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Interests:Interests
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 31 2017 - 03:01 PM

Been racing at Bugatti with the 67 Historics, getting rear ended and punted off into the scenery at the two big braking points. Anyone had this/got an ai fix for it?
....and don't say brake later, I'm already doing the best I can. :)

#2 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,349 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Jan 31 2017 - 08:49 PM

Go in your GPL folder and click on the gplx67 file. Scroll all the way to the bottom of it and look for   braking_efficiency_coeff = 0.7000.

The lower you make the number. The earlier the AI will brake. For the Historical mod they already have it turned down. The default number is .08000. Go easy with turning it down. You can slow the AI down so much you won't be able to drive behind them they'll brake so early. It will also slow down their lap times

Personally, I keep it turned up high, so I can follow close without running into them, but you can set whatever is comfortable for you.

This file will just be for the Historical mod. You'll have to modify a different file for the regular 67 F1 cars or an y other mod.

#3 burt

burt

burt

• Supporter
  • 239 posts

Posted Feb 01 2017 - 03:33 PM

Thanks Pete!  I'll give that a try.

#4 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,349 posts

Posted Feb 02 2017 - 03:24 PM

Did it work for you?

#5 burt

burt

burt

• Supporter
  • 239 posts

Posted Feb 03 2017 - 09:40 AM

Sort of...
The braking_efficiency_coeff was actually at 8000 so I put it down to 7000, which did slow them down but I still got rear ended occasionally. I did several starts in a row and it seems Bugatti is one of those tracks where the start is always incident packed, even if I start last and hang back some of the Ai still end up in a heap of mangled metal at that first tight corner with no help from me at all. I just keep out of the way on the right hand side now and let them settle down.

As this is the only track on the excellent 67 Historic mod with this problem (for me anyway), I don't really want to change the generic gplx67 file too much, everywhere else is spot on. Maybe I should dig around for one of those Ai fixes specifically for Bugatti - if such a thing exists.

I do remember years ago people talking about this crashing into the back thing before, probably relating to Monza. Someone, can't remember who, came up with a fix, something to do with collision distances or something. I will have a look through the forum.

Wish I was less of a divot when it comes to the techie stuff....

#6 deegee

deegee

• Supporter
  • 145 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Feb 03 2017 - 10:58 AM

I think it was mentioned somewhere that a new version of the Bugatti circuit is in development.......

But doesn't help in the short term :(

#7 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,349 posts

Posted Feb 03 2017 - 08:11 PM

That's why I just run full GP races. I make no attempt to get through the 1st turn in good position. It's too chancy with AI or humans. By just running long races I have lot's of time to pick everybody off. A lot of the time I don't even bother to qualify to keep from getting wrecked in the 1st turn.

I can out brake the AI if I have a clear track I front of me and they're behind me, but if I have a car in front of me and one behind. I know the car behind me will hit me, because the car in front is holding me up. So, I get off the racing line and let the car behind me go by. I can repass in a spot of my choosing.

Beating the AI consistently takes more than just being faster. You have to understand them and know what you can and can't do around them. I'm sure you know all this, but sometimes out ego won't let us get out of the way. We all have to keep that in control, or the AI will knock us off the track without a second thought.

#8 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,739 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Feb 03 2017 - 08:50 PM

Well said, Pete.  :)

There are some in our community who have advanced AI development very much.  Pavel has produced a set of AI files for one of ginetto's WIP tracks.  I guarantee that you will be amazed and please driving with them.  I am sure that Pavel has more in the pipeline for us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links