- - - - -

Crashes When I Try To Go On To The Track.

• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#31 Rich65

Rich65

Pedro Rodriquez

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Feb 06 2016 - 11:21 PM

My apologies, I've used Softpedia for many years and assumed the link to "CROA 1.6 " was still valid. However I didn't try to actually download it again since I already have it. I'm not familiar with SRMZ forum rules here so I don't know if it would be ok for me to upload my copy, so let me just point you to another source. And this time I actually tried to download it and was able to do so and here's the link: http://croa.software.informer.com/

And to just clarify, you don't want read-only settings for GPL and it's subfolders. You could manually change these attributes yourself without CROA if you wanted to spend a lot of time changing the properties for each folder and file but CROA will do it for you in a fraction of the time.

#32 Nunya88

Nunya88

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted Feb 07 2016 - 06:30 AM

No problem, thanks for the tip, I may have found something good about Windows 8 :), I changed one of the read-only settings on the main GPL folder and it asked if I wanted to apply those changes to all files and sub folders, so I tried and then checked and it did change the settings, down side is the problem remains, But GPL inspector works again.

#33 Rich65

Rich65

Pedro Rodriquez

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted Feb 07 2016 - 11:40 PM

Try doing a reinstall from the CD if you have it or install one of the demos. You can rename your existing Sierra folder to a new name of your choosing so that the new install doesn't overwrite your existing installation. Or if you'd prefer not to alter your existing GPL installation, then you can create a new folder with a name different than your existing installation, such as "Sierra2", or "Sierra_NEW" or "Sierra_2016", whatever you like, and then point your CD install or demo to install to that new folder, and proceed to install. Then fire up the newly installed GPL and find out it if it all works ok.

#34 Nunya88

Nunya88

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted Feb 20 2016 - 01:11 PM

Well I finally got my nerve up and did the reinstall, with my original CD ( sold out software ) and the 1.5 version installer I just tried it with the 67 only before installing any mods and it does the same thing :(  guess I am done.

#35 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,159 posts

Posted Feb 20 2016 - 06:09 PM

Check that this is exactly the same on your system.

Windows Explorer > left click on the Sierra folder > properties

Attached Files

Edited by Bob Simpson, Feb 20 2016 - 06:16 PM.

#36 Nunya88

Nunya88

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted Feb 20 2016 - 07:12 PM

Hello Bob, Yes I double checked and it matches the settings in your image, I did notice as I was running the installer that the new install was notifying me to change several items to eliminate the read-only settings which I did but it still shuts down when I click the green button to enter the track and gives me the "GPL has stopped working" error message in either GEM+ or trying to start just GPL alone, I am still able to select any mod, carset, track, driver, change settings in the option screen and view replays just can't drive ( Well I could not drive before either :)  ) maybe I should say get on the track.

Edited by Nunya88, Feb 20 2016 - 07:13 PM.

#37 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,016 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Feb 20 2016 - 10:44 PM

Nunya88, on your new install you didn't mention setting up a player name or configuring your controller or setting in-game options like no driver arms or reducing objects in mirrors...things that can overload everything sometimes.

Guessing you did that?

Also, have I just missed where you stated what your computer specs are?

When does that free Win10 upgrade deal run out?

Edited by John Woods, Feb 20 2016 - 10:45 PM.

#38 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,159 posts

Posted Feb 20 2016 - 10:50 PM

When you hit that green button to go to a specific track, that is when GPL reads the track.ini  I don't know why, but I think that it might be a problem reading that file in the track folder.  Did you do any modifying of the track files?

When you reinstalled, did you try running on an original GPL track right after creating your new driver and before doing anything else?

Edited by Bob Simpson, Feb 20 2016 - 11:36 PM.

#39 Nunya88

Nunya88

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted Feb 21 2016 - 06:41 AM

John, my system is a Dell Vostro 3220 cpu, 3.30GHz, 4GB ram, Windows 8 ,NVIDIA GeForce GT 520, I did set up my player info, I only installed the GPL 67 and no add-ons that did not come with the installer, left the graphics and animations as they were before when it all worked just fine before it just quit?   Bob, I only tried to run the 67's as installed from the installer and added nothing just to see if it worked so I only had the tracks that came with the installer, If it worked I was going to install the mods one by one until I was back to what I had before the current problem happened, Thanks again for everyone's help.  Windows 10 is not on my list yet, Microsoft's latest offerings remind me of what Rinche Ginther said when asked about the differences of the Lotus 20 and 30- he said " The 30 is just like the 20 with 10 more problems" :)

#40 Bernd Nowak

Bernd Nowak

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,703 posts

Posted Feb 21 2016 - 07:18 AM

Have you checked the gpl.exe and gplc67.exe with the supplied gplinspect.exe? It's in the same directory/folder where you have installed GPL.

#41 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,159 posts

Posted Feb 21 2016 - 09:28 AM

Good idea from Bernd, but…

View PostNunya88, on Feb 06 2016 - 04:31 PM, said:

Tried original carset  I had saved in a separate file, Same result, A new issue has come up now when I use GPL inspector I get " File access denied "  I had been using it with no problem trying to sort my issue but now it is not working either I guess I have added to my problems somehow file:///C:UsersBobAppDataLocalTempmsohtmlclip11clip_image001.png

One more question – is this happening when you go from GPL’s track selection menu to the track or when you try to get into the car on the track?  The latter problem would indicate a graphics issue, especially the graphics card or settings, but again the replays are viewable.

It's very strange if it's occurring going from one GPL menu to another.  The screen resolution isn't changing until you jump into the car on the track but GPL is doing is reading the track.in and all the track folder files.  I wonder if it's sound related since there are sound files in the track folders in the dat files.  But you say that you can view replays.

The fact that you can’t run the Inspector sounds like it might be the anti-virus settings being too harsh or some kind of administrator setting.  GPL should not be installed in the program files folder but rather something like C:\Sierra or C:\Games\Sierra

Edited by Bob Simpson, Feb 21 2016 - 09:31 AM.

#42 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,016 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Feb 21 2016 - 10:00 AM

View PostBob Simpson, on Feb 21 2016 - 09:28 AM, said:

...but again the replays are viewable.

It's very strange...

But you say that you can view replays.

The fact that you can’t run the Inspector sounds strange...

GPL should not be installed in the program files folder but rather something like C:\Sierra or C:\Games\Sierra

Replays viewable, what does that eliminate as a possible cause?
Guessing it does not eliminate controller issues?

Has a new install eliminated corrupted file issues?

Something is thinking some part of Grand Prix Legends is a not authorized process/application?
Besides anti-virus, systems care programs sometimes have security/performance safeguards.

JMO, go with C:\Sierra\gpl\gpl.exe, as based on past issues this is more typical of other users, so suggested as it is likely more consistent with their install.

#43 Rich65

Rich65

Pedro Rodriquez

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted Feb 21 2016 - 01:09 PM

"Unreliable RAM can cause a multitude of problems. Corrupted data, crashes and unexplained behaviour. Bad RAM is one of the most frustrating computer problems to have as symptoms are often random and hard to pin down. MemTest86 can help diagnose faulty RAM (or rule it out as a cause of system instability). As such it is often used by system builders, PC repair stores, overclockers & PC manufacturers." - a direct quote from http://www.memtest86.com/

You might try the MemTest86 program, it's free and would be good to confirm whether your RAM memory is or isn't good.

#44 Nunya88

Nunya88

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted Feb 21 2016 - 04:10 PM

Bernd, I did get gplinspect working and checked all .exe files and no issues were detected ( I think read-only got ticked somewhere along the way but now it works just fine )  Bob, I do have it installed C:\ sierra and yes, I can go through every step and get to any track get the proper screen and the view of the pits in the upper right hand corner just like it always was but when I click the green button to "get in the car" is when it shuts down? I do have sound on the replays and can change camera angles, switch to other drivers cars etc. ? And I can calibrate my wheel and change screen resolution in the options screen as well,  I thought I may have stumbled on to something last night searching for similar issues and found something where people were having problems with Windows error reporting shutting down various games as they were trying to run them, So I disabled that as well but still no joy :(  So now I have UAC shut down, DEP excluding all GPL related .exe files and also the same files excluded from my ant-virus ( I have also shut down the anti-virus program and tried to run with the same result ) I will check the Mem Test86 program and see if perhaps there is something there. Once again I thank everyone for their help with this.

#45 weldmetal12

weldmetal12

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:GPL, vintage racing SVRA, tinkering
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Feb 21 2016 - 07:20 PM

Hi,
         I noticed you'd shut down UAC and found a registry edit from this thread:

http://www.simforums...topic45785.html

Hope you can get her going.. You've got great suggestions/help on the forum!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links