- - - - -

Crashes When I Try To Go On To The Track.

• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#1 Nunya88

Nunya88

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted Jan 10 2016 - 07:48 PM

Hello, First I would like to say how much I appreciate this community, from all the hard work on the mods, add ons and fixes to the help offered to everyone that asks, My problem is I finally got GPL running again after my old system expired several months ago and was really enjoying getting some of the latest things Spa 67, etc. then I broke my toe pretty badly and was unable to drive for a month or so, finally was ready to go again and it CTD's when I hit the green button to enter the track, it does this either in Gem or Gpl only, no matter what mod I try in Gem. everything works fine up until that point, I can change cars, settings, view replays etc. just cannot drive. I usually can fumble through by searching the answers here and trying the suggestions but not this time, I have Windows 8 os, and I have had Gem rebuild the exe.files, checked the exclusion settings, anti-virus, it was fine before and the only thing that I added recently was the Nassau track ( Loved the races there ) I am sure it has nothing to do with the track, but I deleted it anyway and still no joy, I did not try the sim before I got the track but I would bet if I had I would have had this issue anyway. Just wondering what you suggest I try and what would let everything work ok up to the point of trying to drive, even as bad as I am that is the joy of gpl.  Thanks again.

Edited by Nunya88, Jan 10 2016 - 07:51 PM.

#2 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 11 2016 - 08:43 PM

1. Season file? Check Gem+.
2. Controller settings in Win and in game?

Is this only install? If you have another, (like 2013 demo), you might switch some things out by copying from there.
It could be corrupt file, (sort of doubt it)...might be since you took Nassau out GEM+ thinks it should still be there, or GEM+ never thought it was?

Edited by John Woods, Jan 11 2016 - 08:47 PM.

#3 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Jan 12 2016 - 03:12 AM

With 'exclusion settings' do you mean DEP?

#4 Nunya88

Nunya88

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted Jan 12 2016 - 05:41 AM

Thanks for the replies,  I will dig further into the season file, I do have a the backup files from the old computer that the tech put in another area that I have been comparing, I will look further, I also did a re-install of Gem + , Yes sorry I did mean the DEP exclusion settings. Thanks again.

#5 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,198 posts

Posted Jan 13 2016 - 09:04 AM

Any news?

#6 Nunya88

Nunya88

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted Jan 13 2016 - 09:06 PM

Nothing good yet John, Thanks for asking, I have been swapping files, Seasons, Sound, Cars, etc, deleted everything in the DEP and re-selected them, another re-install of Gem + and have not solved it yet,  I read about a lot of people that do fresh installs and I am afraid I am a bit timid about that :) But I may have to pull the trigger, not sure exactly how to proceed though.

#7 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,198 posts

Posted Jan 13 2016 - 10:07 PM

Install either 2004 or 2013 Demo.
Or, if you have CD, use the 1.07 Installer, which works very well.
Follow the instructions found here or on gpllinks.org.
No idea about Win8 issues, but seems I recall others had best luck with last version of it.

Doing a new install is no big deal.

http://srmz.net/inde...showtopic=10001

http://gplworld.org/...tion-guide.html

#8 Rich65

Rich65

Chris Amon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted Jan 14 2016 - 03:25 PM

Nunya88
as for "...it CTD's when I hit the green button to enter the track, it does this either in Gem or Gpl..."

I had the same problem when I set my GPL resolution to 2560x1440 since my desktop resolution is 2560x1440. I tried all kinds of fixes but nothing worked. I can run N2K3 in 2560x1440 with no problem. The solution to ending the CTD's was to lower the GPL resolution to 1920x1200. Problem solved.

Of course it's possible the cause of your CTD's may not be associated with your resolution settings. Before I would do a reinstall I would try eliminating other possible causes.
1. You could try entering the track in training mode, if you get into the track without a CTD then I would suspect a corrupted file somewhere in the carset, excepting of course the actual car you entered the track with. You could try different cars and see if any of them works without triggering a CTD.
2. Have you opened your season.ini (located in the "seasons" folder with notepad or notepad++ (better) to confirm that the "numEvents=x (normally located four lines from the top) where x equals the last event entry at the bottom of the file?  The original season ini from the original GPL is named "67season.ini". In its original state, prior to adding any additional tracks, it contained a total of 11 tracks, and if you have it then when you open it you will see "numEvents=11" at the top, and when you scroll down to the bottom you will see the last track listed is Zandvort and you will see "Event11" in brackets. In your case you added Nassau and if you added it to 67season.ini then when you open it you should find numEvents=12" at the top and the last track will be Nassau and in brackets you should see Event12. For every track added to a given season.ini, the event number will increase by 1. The number listed in "numEvents" at top of file must always match the total number of tracks listed which should match the number in "Event" associated with the last track entry. If the numbers don't match, be sure the number associated with each track was incremented by 1, ie., you should never have more than one track with the same number listed in the Event field. And if there are no duplicate Event numbers then just edit the number in the last "Event" field and/or in the "numEvent" field to match, then save as an ini file, notepad default will be to save as a text file which you don't want to do. Select "all files" and then save as 67season.ini.
3. Another thing that can cause the CTD when trying to enter the track is corrupted files in the track itself but based on the description you gave I doubt that is the cause of the problem.
4. Have you tried adjusting compatibility settings? In Win7 you can right click the gpl.exe in your GPL folder, click on the "Compatibility" tab and put a check in the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" then select a different OS from the drop down menu. You might get lucky running GPL in Win7 or Vista or WinXP compatibility mode.
5. Lastly, have you tried right clicking on the gpl.exe and "Run as adminstrator"?

#9 Nunya88

Nunya88

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted Jan 14 2016 - 06:18 PM

Thanks for the reply, I will go through your suggestions and try them one by one, I did check the seasons files just now after reading your reply and they seem to be ok, I had edited one earlier after my problem started and may have saved it incorrectly, but I just checked the properties on each one and they indicated that the file type was listed as .ini if that is a good way to check, It is frustrating and I do really appreciate all the help.

#10 Rich65

Rich65

Chris Amon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted Jan 15 2016 - 10:04 AM

If you had inadvertently saved your 67season.ini as a text file then you will find there is a new file in your season folder named 67season.txt. Checking properties and seeing that the file type is listed as .ini is definitely what it should be. But if it was me, I would want to open the ini file and confirm that any edited changes I had made and saved were in fact saved properly and that's easily done by reopening the ini and confirming the new information is actually there. Also, you can right click the
.ini file, select properties, and on the "General" tab you can view the date and time the file was last modified and if that does not match the date and time you last saved the file then obviously your changes weren't properly saved.

I remember several years ago I was having CTD's when clicking the green button to enter the track. At the time I didn't have the 2560x1440 resolution monitor I referenced previously and the issue was unrelated to resolution settings. After exploring many "possible" causes including confirming my season.ini file contained no "numEvent=" vs. "Event" discrepancies I suspected there could be something about the file itself that was corrupted at some level beyond what can be read with notepad. So I deleted the 67season.ini and replaced it with a brand new one which I obtained by reinstalling GPL with the original CD to a different location that I named "GPL Original" in order to clearly identify it. And, I never install anything else to the new install-no addon tracks, no new mods, nothing whatsoever. I just like having it installed so that anytime I suspect I may have a corrupted GPL file I can replace it with a brand new one with a simple copy and paste from my "GPL Original" installation into my "Sierra/GPL/... installation. The "GPL Original" installation takes up very little room on my hard drive since I don't add anything to it, but it has saved me a few times from opting for a complete reinstall. Not that there's anything wrong with doing a reinstall. For many people it's a quick and easy way to get GPL back up and running. I just happen to enjoy trying to figure out what is broken and see if I can fix it.

All discussion about files and resolution settings aside, it seems to me that when you try to enter the track and you get the CTD, your pc would need to load track data into memory. And I have no idea how much, perhaps not everything all at once, perhaps only portions at a time, I can only speculate here. But it seems to me that if the RAM memory on your pc were to be defective it might choke at this point of the increased load and trigger the CTD. Of course if you're running other sims with no problems then you can probably assume the problem lies elsewhere.

#11 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,246 posts

Posted Jan 15 2016 - 10:59 AM

When you save the file do "Save as..." and make sure it's saved as ANSI and not UTF-8

#12 Nunya88

Nunya88

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted Jan 16 2016 - 03:14 PM

Well, I am still having no luck, I tried all the very helpful suggestions and I am still down, I was sure it would be something outside the game shutting it down because of the fact I could get into the sim, view relays etc. but if it is I have not been able to find it, guess that leaves me with the re-install option, going to re-read the easy install guide again, have a pint and give it a go I reckon, I have a lot of add-ons and most of the mods so I want to make sure not to lose them, Do you suggests re-naming my old install and just copy and paste the tracks folder over, checking it then to see that it caused no issues and then try re-installing the mods one at a time and doing a test after each one?  Never re-installed before but it seems like many have without drama but I can usually make a simple thing hard without trying :) Thanks again to everyone for the replies. Oh and one other question, Should I delete everything in GPL secrets before doing the re-install?

Edited by Nunya88, Jan 16 2016 - 03:16 PM.

#13 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,198 posts

Posted Jan 16 2016 - 09:56 PM

Have you found any Windows 8 threads here?
Otherwise seems lost in haystack of who knows what went wrong.
Assuming its not directly Win8 config related, re-name Sierra folder and begin simple new ground up GPL and GEM+ install, confirming it all works before going to next steps.
If that doesn't work, maybe it is Win8 related even if it worked before?

#14 Nunya88

Nunya88

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted Jan 17 2016 - 04:53 PM

Hello John, Yeah I have been searching the forums for Windows 8 issues and trying anything that look promising, I think I am gonna walk away for it for a few days and try again later, I did try one last thing, When the tech transferred my old hard drive on to the new system he put my old GPL folder on E drive for storage and got a copy over on the C drive to use which worked fine ( Other than I hate Windows 8 ) until last week, So I thought that other folder has just been sitting there inactive so I tried to start GPL from there with the same result? Sure seems like it may be something other than game related but I don't really know.

#15 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,198 posts

Posted Jan 18 2016 - 06:44 PM

I've had problems with no solution for days. Hate going through that.
Good luck.
Sounds like trying a demo might have the same result?

Does Win8 qualify for Win10 upgrade? Something else to think about if it does. Although so far I'm still on XP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links