• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 06 2009 - 02:37 AM

View PostJosef Paul, on Mar 6 2009, 05:08 AM, said:

View Postbrr, on Mar 5 2009, 01:13 AM, said:

View PostJosef Paul, on Mar 5 2009, 04:30 AM, said:

Frankly, I'm surprised you weren't ask to test it before it was released. You or another record holder of note.

I'm surprised that few people bother to read the README. Aleksi Elomaa (Monaco WRs with Lotus and Eagle), Phil Woodward (several WRs), and Elias Hirvonen (several WRs) got the patch for testing early on.

Didn't see a readme as I don't have the PATCH. You might have pointed out the talent listed above with out the attitude.

I usually have an 'attitude' when someone presents incorrect information as a fact (if you did not know, why did you claim no record holders have been asked to test it?).

You need to understand that for many people GPL  is nothing without Rank and anything that threatens the validity of laptimes going back ten years is to be approached with extreme caution. So I'm glad you have the testers. How about sharing some of their impressions and comments, not to mention lap times. That would be quite interesting reading. Or perhaps you could point me to where these are already posted in case I'm asking another silly question.

Phil Woodward posted his comments on the 60fps thread at RSC. Aleksi (and many other testers) read this forum so he might be persuaded to post his impressions. Because some people take this issue so seriously, it is better that I won't post summaries of anyone's comments. Let them speak for themselves.

I don't think laptimes are as sacred as you imply. GPLshift allows faster shifting by reducing time spent in neutral, and yet the resulting laptimes are accepted as WRs. 60fps replays are identifiable as such, therefore WR laps can be kept separate if its considered necessary.

#32 brr

brr

a GPL editor

• Members
  • 1,244 posts

Posted Mar 06 2009 - 02:59 AM

View Postmiklkit, on Mar 6 2009, 04:27 AM, said:

I'm not using it either.  It's just a beta after all.  I am very interested in using 60fps, but it's not useable yet.  No ai means I can't race offline.  No VROC means I can't race online.  I tried IGOR in a 66 and got....36fps.

Let me get something straight. It is not a Beta, but its a limited feature release. Hotlapping and online with 60fps is expected to work correctly.

VROC works fine with 60fps, as long as you have gpl.exe patched (launch VROC through GEM+ or copy gplc67.exe to gpl.exe).

As to your iGOR problem, you need to have gplc66.exe patched, and make sure the server is 60fps.

#33 SteveC43

SteveC43

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted Mar 06 2009 - 05:36 AM

Just bring a strong pc.

Don't have one and can't afford one right now.

Steve you have enough time to post in here, thats long enough for at least one monza:D

Taking 5 minutes here and there to post at work or at home between family stuff or home work is not like spending a half an hour to 45 minutes at Monza. This week I've had time to do 8 laps at Mexico, total. Please don't assume because I have a few minutes here or there to check a forum, I have time to complete an entire race. I work 40+ hours a week and I'm taking 8 credit hours of electrical engineering technology classes. Plus I have a wife and 2 teenage daughters. Time is limited, I can assure you, and many times when I finally get some, I'm simply too tired to race.

As far as this patch, it's this simple really; it needs to work with GPL replay analyzer before I will even consider it. Does it now? If not, most leagues will not adopt it because they use GPLRA for the race report. Therefore, the vast majority of servers will most likely remain at 36FPS. GPL rank will also not accept the replays. So why get all excited and rush right out to try something I can't even really use much yet, then want to never run what I can use because I don't like it as much?

I understand where you guys are coming from and I appreciate and admire the hard work you've put in, I really do. Please don't make people being cautious out to be the bad guys though.

Edited by SteveC43, Mar 06 2009 - 05:42 AM.

#34 brr

brr

a GPL editor

• Members
  • 1,244 posts

Posted Mar 06 2009 - 05:44 AM

View PostSteveC43, on Mar 6 2009, 01:36 PM, said:

As far as this patch, it's this simple really; it needs to work with GPL replay analyzer before I will even consider it. Does it now? If not, most leagues will not adopt it because they use GPLRA for the race report. Therefore, the vast majority of servers will most likely remain at 36FPS. GPL rank will also not accept the replays.

Race reports can be extraced with the patched GPLRA I posted in the 60fps release topic, so hosting online 60fps races can be done normally as far as posting the results is concerned.

#35 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,742 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Mar 06 2009 - 06:05 AM

View PostSteveC43, on Mar 6 2009, 11:36 AM, said:

Just bring a strong pc.

Same here. (Athlon XP 3200+ @ 2.2GHz.)

#36 John Ollis

John Ollis

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted Mar 06 2009 - 07:18 AM

View Postbrr, on Mar 6 2009, 08:37 AM, said:

I don't think laptimes are as sacred as you imply. GPLshift allows faster shifting by reducing time spent in neutral, and yet the resulting laptimes are accepted as WRs. 60fps replays are identifiable as such, therefore WR laps can be kept separate if its considered necessary.
It would be nice to have a similar solution on GPL Rank for the 60FPS patch as used for the shifter times, i.e. ability to see whether the patch was used for a particular posted time and ability to include or exclude 60FPS lap times, as desired.

Over time, GPL Rank should reveal whether there's a significant difference or not in the achievable times, depending on how the 60FPS times cluster and mix relative to the 36FPS times in the ranking pages.

#37 JohnnyAck

JohnnyAck

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 230 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Mar 06 2009 - 08:45 AM

View Postbrr, on Mar 6 2009, 06:44 AM, said:

As far as this patch, it's this simple really; it needs to work with GPL replay analyzer before I will even consider it. Does it now? If not, most leagues will not adopt it because they use GPLRA for the race report. Therefore, the vast majority of servers will most likely remain at 36FPS. GPL rank will also not accept the replays.

Race reports can be extraced with the patched GPLRA I posted in the 60fps release topic, so hosting online 60fps races can be done normally as far as posting the results is concerned.
I see that there is an unfounded negativity...... now (without reading the readme) your declaring this great patch unusable. It does really seem now, by this attitude,  that for some reason dont want this happening for you, or possibly anyone? I dont get it. It sounds like its going to have gplra and gplrank involved with getting it right. BTW, I drove 100,000 miles last year in my van working 70-80 hours a week. I drove gpl less, but I still found time to, while living here alone, maintaining my own house too. Dont feel like the lone ranger when it comes to work:)

#38 JohnnyAck

JohnnyAck

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted Mar 06 2009 - 09:09 AM

View PostJohnnyAck, on Mar 6 2009, 09:45 AM, said:

View Postbrr, on Mar 6 2009, 06:44 AM, said:

I see that there is an unfounded negativity...... now (without reading the readme) your declaring this great patch unusable. It does really seem now, by this attitude,  that for some reason dont want this happening for you, or possibly anyone? I dont get it. It sounds like its going to have gplra and gplrank involved with getting it right. BTW, I drove 100,000 miles last year in my van working 70-80 hours a week. I drove gpl less, but I still found time to, while living here alone, maintaining my own house too. Dont feel like the lone ranger when it comes to work:)
Ive said my piece, Ill be busy testing this patch thoroughly, and rounding up some stragglers from other sims and forums who have time, and who will want  to try this. Vroc and racing against others is what im wanting,Im going to find those who want to.

Edited by JohnnyAck, Mar 06 2009 - 09:10 AM.

#39 SteveC43

SteveC43

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted Mar 06 2009 - 02:06 PM

View PostJohnnyAck, on Mar 6 2009, 09:45 AM, said:

It does really seem now, by this attitude,  that for some reason dont want this happening for you, or possibly anyone? I dont get it. It sounds like its going to have gplra and gplrank involved with getting it right.

Nothing could be further from the truth. I hope everyone is using it within a relatively short time frame and it is accepted by the community. I'm slightly offended that you would think I would want this to fail. I've always said I pretty much don't care how people use GPL or what they do with it for their own purposes, unless they are blatantly cheating. This is no different. If people want to start using it today, good for them! I'm just waiting until GPL rank will accept the times. Nothing more. There's no reason for you to be so defensive or take that as a negative, honest.

Mark my words; I will at some point in the future try your patch. When will be at my discretion.

Edited by SteveC43, Mar 06 2009 - 02:09 PM.

#40 miklkit

miklkit

airhead

• Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Mar 06 2009 - 08:46 PM

I thought this version was referred to as a beta earlier in this thread.  Sorry.  
  My problems with VROC have nothing to do with the 60fps patch.  I have only gotten red and yellow buttons for the tracks for a long time.  After months of trying to fix it, I've given up.  Bob Simpson tried to help me, and I think I can connect to Mybroga servers now.  But that's it.  
  How can you tell if a server on IGOR is using the 60fps patch?  When I've looked there was nothing to give me a clue one way or the other.  Anyway, offline is where I spend 99% of my GPL time.  

I have no issues with GPL's graphics.  The ISI based stuff I've tried is inferior in many other ways, so a slight, almost unnoticeable graphics loss is no issue.  I still like GPL's physics best.  

I'm excited by this and will use it when I can.  Until then I'm 10-10 on the side.

#41 JohnnyAck

JohnnyAck

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted Mar 06 2009 - 09:16 PM

View Postmiklkit, on Mar 6 2009, 09:46 PM, said:

I thought this version was referred to as a beta earlier in this thread.  Sorry.  
  My problems with VROC have nothing to do with the 60fps patch.  I have only gotten red and yellow buttons for the tracks for a long time.  After months of trying to fix it, I've given up.  Bob Simpson tried to help me, and I think I can connect to Mybroga servers now.  But that's it.  
  How can you tell if a server on IGOR is using the 60fps patch?  When I've looked there was nothing to give me a clue one way or the other.  Anyway, offline is where I spend 99% of my GPL time.  

I have no issues with GPL's graphics.  The ISI based stuff I've tried is inferior in many other ways, so a slight, almost unnoticeable graphics loss is no issue.  I still like GPL's physics best.  

I'm excited by this and will use it when I can.  Until then I'm 10-10 on the side.
I had a server up all this afternoon on 65s while I slept...dont know how joinable it was, the log said no one showed up when I woke up. Im more than happy to host some if I see you in:) Had a decent few runs at mosport tonight. There is a possible issue with tyre temps that someone has maybe spotted. It could possibly that he was pushing the honda, which is a natural tyre heater for fast people, a bit much, but it was thought that maybe a multiplier is possibly giving a bit of exponential heating, i.e. 3 seconds of skidding might really be seen as 4 or 5 secs now. This needs to be kept an eye on by all running the patch, and make sure its noted. Im thinking someone should run fraps with pribluda and make a couple test films so the data can be analyzed accurately. Still, its still more fun than I have had online with gpl than I have ever had online, bar none.

Edited by JohnnyAck, Mar 06 2009 - 09:17 PM.

#42 JohnnyAck

JohnnyAck

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted Mar 07 2009 - 11:28 PM

View Postmiklkit, on Mar 6 2009, 09:46 PM, said:

Hey sry Mik, I had made a configuration that booted with xp optimized with serivces and things set not to run, and it reset my firewall on me. Hope to see you again, Ill get it sorted...doh!

#43 miklkit

miklkit

airhead

• Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Mar 08 2009 - 10:48 AM

Johnny, when I tried your server it timed out.  I get that from other servers also.  Right now it seems that I can only join the Sunday Pickup Races, but I always sleep in....

#44 benzman

benzman

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 395 posts
  • Interests:Just about anything about the real world as opposed to fantasy.

Posted Mar 08 2009 - 01:14 PM

View PostSaiph, on Mar 6 2009, 07:05 AM, said:

View PostSteveC43, on Mar 6 2009, 11:36 AM, said:

Just bring a strong pc.

Same here. (Athlon XP 3200+ @ 2.2GHz.)

Golly!  And here's me with my ten year old AMD Athlon XP at 1.44 GH!  Now I know why, even with the 60K patch installed, I can never see more than 40fps at any time.  Must get a new PC.

#45 paul skingley

paul skingley

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted Mar 08 2009 - 01:31 PM

One of the problems with the 60fps patch is that frame rate is not constant as it is for me at 36fps.
We tried an online test race at Monaco in the 66 cars and it was undrivable with severe stuttering.
At 36fps Monaco is solid for me using any mod ( or 67 ).
The 66 cars are pretty light graphically so I guess running 69mod would be even worst on 60fps. Something like the Sports cars would be impossible.
All these mods I can run at 36fps without any problem.

There is also the problem of incompatibility between someone hosting at 60fps and someone joining at 36 or vice versa which is a bit of a screw up for online racing. I think this issue should have been thought through some more before the patch was released.

I still use a CRT monitor at 85hz so the patch does not really improve things for me. But I understand those that have an LCD that runs at 60hz wanting to use it.

Maybe I will use the patch in the future when I have upgraded. But my present system will not run the 60fps patch smoothly and I would rather have 36fps solid than 60fps jerky.

AMD 64Athlon 3200+
nVidia 6800GT
1gb ram

paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links