Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Mar 05 2009 - 12:34 AM

View Postbrr, on Mar 5 2009, 01:13 AM, said:

View PostJosef Paul, on Mar 5 2009, 04:30 AM, said:

Frankly, I'm surprised you weren't ask to test it before it was released. You or another record holder of note.

I'm surprised that few people bother to read the README. Aleksi Elomaa (Monaco WRs with Lotus and Eagle), Phil Woodward (several WRs), and Elias Hirvonen (several WRs) got the patch for testing early on.
I dont know about these wrs set.... didnt see anything in the readme about it. were they done with 60fps?

#17 brr

brr

a GPL editor

• Members
  • 1,244 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 05 2009 - 12:39 AM

View PostJohnnyAck, on Mar 5 2009, 08:34 AM, said:

Frankly, I'm surprised you weren't ask to test it before it was released. You or another record holder of note.

I'm surprised that few people bother to read the README. Aleksi Elomaa (Monaco WRs with Lotus and Eagle), Phil Woodward (several WRs), and Elias Hirvonen (several WRs) got the patch for testing early on.
I dont know about these wrs set.... didnt see anything in the readme about it. were they done with 60fps?

No, I was responding to the comment that the patch was not tested by "record holders of note". All WRs I mentioned are 36 fps WRs.

#18 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,742 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Mar 05 2009 - 05:39 AM

View Postbrr, on Mar 5 2009, 06:13 AM, said:

:rofl:  You tell 'em brr!

#19 SteveC43

SteveC43

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted Mar 05 2009 - 05:49 AM

Well, since I haven't downloaded it or installed it, I haven't seen the readme yet.  :idunno:

Those are very good testers though, better than I would be in fact, and if they didn't find it faster in any way, that gives me more confidence.

Still going to wait a bit though.

#20 JohnnyAck

JohnnyAck

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted Mar 05 2009 - 02:51 PM

View PostSteveC43, on Mar 5 2009, 06:49 AM, said:

Well, since I haven't downloaded it or installed it, I haven't seen the readme yet.  :idunno:

Those are very good testers though, better than I would be in fact, and if they didn't find it faster in any way, that gives me more confidence.

You should prolly go set all your best 36 fps rank times that you can now, from what I have gathered from my testing. Ive been running 67s online with a very fast driver the past few nights, Ashley Miskelly. He is sold on the patch, and finds it nearly impossible to go back to 36 fps, ever. We are both of the same idea that this does not affect laptimes. I see no other reason to wait, except to get those last laps of 36 fps driving in for your official rank, and drive this. I dont understand why anyone doesnt seem interested in the most important thing thats happened to gpl in years, and approaches it with skeptisism. I dont know who you are waiting to show up, and put their stamp of approval on it. Ive been a member of vroc since 1998, and I am pretty sure I have enough experience to be an authority on software testing, at least with gpl. This patch is a beta, as brr said, and its almost perfect, mind some anomalies that were masked by 36 fps. The main thing is, we find all the things we need to get it going on minumum pc requirements, and find the settings for those without enough hardware power to be able to participate, and not be left behind. So far theres only two test servers on vroc and mine in igor when im around. People need to not fear this, I am still confused. We get what the masses clamored for, for the past 5 years or so, and now they dont want it??? Ugh, it reminds me when I bought one of the first G25 wheels and used it in GPL,praised its quality, and no one believed me that it was good. Ill be driving my G25 that no one wanted, at 60fps gpl, and waiting for everyone to catch up, again. Cant wait for the final version of the patch. Thanks again to brr, and the many many beta testers long  hard work for this. I truly appreciate it.

#21 Ken

Ken

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted Mar 05 2009 - 03:03 PM

View PostSteveC43, on Mar 5 2009, 11:49 AM, said:

Steve, I have to ask the same question as Johnny Ack, what are you actually waiting for? What will actually convince you there is no advantage? I kinda of think from your comments nothing ever will. Code programming is way beyond me but seemingly there is no way we can categorically say there is no change in physics, but testing has shown there to be negligable difference. There are three scenarios.
1. It gives a slight advantage, so slight that to get any improvement you still have to drive very very well to beat any personal bests.
2. They are exactly the same.
3. It gives a slight disadvantage and you have to drive exceptionally well to beat any personal bests.

That is what has been proved by testing, but there are no other ways to confirm the situation either way, we have to live with it.

#22 John Ollis

John Ollis

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted Mar 05 2009 - 04:00 PM

I'll be waiting for full lap analysis compatibility of GPLRA before I switch over.

But I've driven at 60 FPS and it's very impressive. As well as the display smoothness (I run a 60Hz widescreen), the improvement to control smoothness is equally impressive and maybe as significant. I suspect it will help laptime consistency for many. It's very noticeable at corners requiring really precise throttle timing and line, e.g. the 90 at the Glen.

It would be useful to have confirmation that the controller sampling rate is also locked in some ratio to the display rate. Certainly feels that way to me.

A great improvement. Thanks to all involved. :thumbup:

John.

#23 brr

brr

a GPL editor

• Members
  • 1,244 posts

Posted Mar 05 2009 - 04:19 PM

View PostJohn Ollis, on Mar 6 2009, 12:00 AM, said:

I'll be waiting for full lap analysis compatibility of GPLRA before I switch over.

But I've driven at 60 FPS and it's very impressive. As well as the display smoothness (I run a 60Hz widescreen), the improvement to control smoothness is equally impressive and maybe as significant. I suspect it will help laptime consistency for many. It's very noticeable at corners requiring really precise throttle timing and line, e.g. the 90 at the Glen.

It would be useful to have confirmation that the controller sampling rate is also locked in some ratio to the display rate. Certainly feels that way to me.

I don't have exact data on controller sampling rate (ffb also feels more accurate), but its likely that it is increased. I checked the data rate of my G25 pedals, and it seems to be 100 Hz. If GPL reads those values, say, at 60 Hz instead of 36 Hz, it would certainly be noticeable. And, like you said, it is. My first comments (to myself) after having a go at 60fps were about braking and ffb feeling more accurate.

#24 JohnnyAck

JohnnyAck

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted Mar 05 2009 - 05:26 PM

View Postbrr, on Mar 5 2009, 05:19 PM, said:

View PostJohn Ollis, on Mar 6 2009, 12:00 AM, said:

I don't have exact data on controller sampling rate (ffb also feels more accurate), but its likely that it is increased. I checked the data rate of my G25 pedals, and it seems to be 100 Hz. If GPL reads those values, say, at 60 Hz instead of 36 Hz, it would certainly be noticeable. And, like you said, it is. My first comments (to myself) after having a go at 60fps were about braking and ffb feeling more accurate.
I think you are dead on, brr, I can feel even more smoothness in the already great ff on g25, but now im gonna have to get a new dual core or quad for this new mobo, and prolly a new vid card, since it does take more power for everything,like the ff and physics. This is good, becuase it takes me to the old days when gpl was the king of taking a strong pc to its knees. I am actually pleased:)

Edited by JohnnyAck, Mar 05 2009 - 05:26 PM.

#25 SteveC43

SteveC43

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted Mar 05 2009 - 05:55 PM

View PostKen, on Mar 5 2009, 04:03 PM, said:

View PostSteveC43, on Mar 5 2009, 11:49 AM, said:

Steve, I have to ask the same question as Johnny Ack, what are you actually waiting for? What will actually convince you there is no advantage? I kinda of think from your comments nothing ever will.

When it works with GPLRA and they can compare the laps, that would help.

What's the big deal if I don't ever try it anyway? I will at some point, but I think it's just prudent for me to wait a while right now. What's so wrong with that?

Johnny, why are you taking such offense. I was not rude or overly critical of this patch. I've just decided to wait. That's my right. As you say, it is a beta after all. I don't rush out and put every beta on my system of anything unless I'm really, really interested. My interest in this, since I own a CRT, isn't as great as many others. Who am I? I'm just another GPL user man, geez. I'm as perplexed by your reaction as you seem to be by mine.

EDIT: I talked to Johnny in chat. While I still think he doesn't understand where I'm coming from, I understand where he is. I think he's just upset not many are trying it. That's fine. It's not my fault though. Expecting this patch to cause a huge flurry of activity and return to the old days is a bit too optimistic I think. Little old me holding out a few months or weeks will make little, if any difference.

Edited by SteveC43, Mar 05 2009 - 07:41 PM.

#26 miklkit

miklkit

airhead

• Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Mar 05 2009 - 08:27 PM

I'm not using it either.  It's just a beta after all.  I am very interested in using 60fps, but it's not useable yet.  No ai means I can't race offline.  No VROC means I can't race online.  I tried IGOR in a 66 and got....36fps.  

Keep up the great work Brrrr.  I do intend to use it as soon as 60fps matures a bit more.

#27 JohnnyAck

JohnnyAck

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted Mar 05 2009 - 08:31 PM

View Postmiklkit, on Mar 5 2009, 09:27 PM, said:

I'm not using it either.  It's just a beta after all.  I am very interested in using 60fps, but it's not useable yet.  No ai means I can't race offline.  No VROC means I can't race online.  I tried IGOR in a 66 and got....36fps.  

Keep up the great work Brrrr.  I do intend to use it as soon as 60fps matures a bit more.
you dont have, or are able to use vroc?

#28 JohnnyAck

JohnnyAck

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted Mar 05 2009 - 08:55 PM

View PostJohnnyAck, on Mar 5 2009, 09:31 PM, said:

View Postmiklkit, on Mar 5 2009, 09:27 PM, said:

you dont have, or are able to use vroc?
My main concern and enthusiasam about this, is becuase many sim drivers were lost from gpl the past few years because of newer sims. I understand and know this myself, because after running new ones at 100 fps and such nearly makes gpl impossible to go back to. Now its finally possible to actually come back to gpl, and the graphics are right up with todays sims fps wise. I feel its more important than many think or are willing to see yet(youre happyat 36 steve so thats ok). GPL isnt dead anymore, but everyones gone right now. The patch was released and beta or not, it shows, and gives me great hope for a 10 year old sim from being gone.Many can attest that I personally spent hundreds of hours doing tech desk in vroc for years and years, one driver at a time, doing my best to help with many others in there, to create a large community of happy racers, and I miss them all. Thats one of the main reasons I feel so strongly, and would like to see some back. I really feel this is the shot in the vein, though quite a bit late.Online racing is my thing and not the gplrank so I see steves point. I Just want to see gpl live on a bit longer and stronger.  Anyone with any credence in here saying they are gonna wait or not do something, can be misconstrued easily into this being an idea that everyone should adopt and not try for themselves, and I felt that mightve been the tone from what I was hearing. Everyone without a care for possibly buggering up their gplrank laptimes, and interested in a great online expereince should try this, soon as possible. Just bring a strong pc. Steve you have enough time to post in here, thats long enough for at least one monza:D

#29 Josef Paul

Josef Paul

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted Mar 05 2009 - 09:08 PM

Didn't see a readme as I don't have the PATCH. You might have pointed out the talent listed above with out the attitude.

You need to understand that for many people GPL  is nothing without Rank and anything that threatens the validity of laptimes going back ten years is to be approached with extreme caution. So I'm glad you have the testers. How about sharing some of their impressions and comments, not to mention lap times. That would be quite interesting reading. Or perhaps you could point me to where these are already posted in case I'm asking another silly question.

#30 Ken

Ken

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted Mar 06 2009 - 01:41 AM

View PostJosef Paul, on Mar 6 2009, 03:08 AM, said:

Didn't see a readme as I don't have the PATCH. You might have pointed out the talent listed above with out the attitude.

I don't want to start a bitchy argument but I think your original comment did come across with  a critical tone, but that's the problem with a written rather than spoken conversation! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links