#1 JohnnyAck

JohnnyAck

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Mar 01 2009 - 11:08 PM

OMG!!!!!I just ran gpl on my server, with the new core settings for 60 fps, and its amazing!!! I mean as good as any of the online sims made today, seriously. I was bump drafting down the straights at Monza with Paul McCluskey just now in 65s, and absolutely blew my mind. Not only was I getting dreamy 60 fps, but was experiencing the best connection ive ever had in online racing in my life!!! Finally in GPL, you can run inches apart and even touch!!! If we did wreck, even better crash physics were had. I had the most realistic crash I ever had due to the extra cycles of the hi fps i guess. It was great!! Now everyone needs to get their patch, fix their core and servers imo, cancel their iracing subscriptions and run this now. Its that amazing. Like the day when I tried my G25 for the first time but like 10x better, YAY. I hope once everyone reads this and tries this online, they will be flabbergasted like I am now. I am so happy!!! Thank you BRR, and everyone who tested this!!!

#2 JohnnyAck

JohnnyAck

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted Mar 01 2009 - 11:27 PM

GPL 60 FPS ONLINE IS BETTER THAN ANYTHING EVER THANK YOU BRR!

This is the best thing to happen to GPL, bar none. Online seems to benefit so well, its LAN like. or if you havent run on a LAN,its like racing the ai, contact wise, to give u an idea. you can now race inches apart and even touch!! I am amazed. I hope everyone will try this and see. Thanks BRR and all. GPL is now updated to what we needed. And no, I dont seem any faster at all, great!

Johnny Ackerman

#3 dangermouse

dangermouse

The mobile chicane

• Administrators
  • 5,955 posts
  • Interests:Errrrrr, GPL? :-)
    Music , computing, hi-fi, motor racing
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Mar 02 2009 - 03:44 AM

merged the two threads together.

View PostJohnnyAck, on Mar 2 2009, 05:08 AM, said:

Finally in GPL, you can run inches apart and even touch!!! If we did wreck, even better crash physics were had. I had the most realistic crash I ever had due to the extra cycles of the hi fps i guess.

Sounds like you also updated the 65s with their new patch. Did you see the readme on the 65 mod update?  :read:

13/ Revised collision detection
;)

#4 JohnnyAck

JohnnyAck

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted Mar 02 2009 - 06:37 AM

View Postdangermouse, on Mar 2 2009, 04:44 AM, said:

Finally in GPL, you can run inches apart and even touch!!! If we did wreck, even better crash physics were had. I had the most realistic crash I ever had due to the extra cycles of the hi fps i guess.

Sounds like you also updated the 65s with their new patch. Did you see the readme on the 65 mod update?  :read:

;)
didnt see that, the 67s seem to crash better also, and collision detection seems like the 65s

#5 brr

brr

a GPL editor

• Members
  • 1,244 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 02 2009 - 06:47 AM

View PostJohnnyAck, on Mar 2 2009, 02:37 PM, said:

View Postdangermouse, on Mar 2 2009, 04:44 AM, said:

;)
didnt see that, the 67s seem to crash better also, and collision detection seems like the 65s

The 60 fps patch does have an effect on collision detection. Collision is almost certainly checked at a higher rate, which would make it automatically more accurate.

#6 SteveC43

SteveC43

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted Mar 02 2009 - 01:43 PM

I was bump drafting in the non-60FPS-patched updated 65 mod as well. It is the smaller and corrected collision boxes that play the largest part I think.

I'm going to wait a few months to try the 60FPS patch. I'm concerned about what it does to lap times and I don't want to use it until I'm sure it's OK in that regard. I'm also not sure what I'd really gain. Maybe a touch more smoothness?

Edited by SteveC43, Mar 02 2009 - 01:44 PM.

#7 Dark - guest

Dark - guest
  • Guests

Posted Mar 02 2009 - 03:30 PM

Its not just a little smoother Steve, its a serious amount smoother for those that use flat screens running at 60hz, go on give it a quick try... you know you want to :)

#8 DennisT

DennisT

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted Mar 02 2009 - 03:51 PM

It's great Steve.

You can switch it off at GEM so no problems really, just compare the both fps one after the other and you will see what we mean.

No chance with me getting faster I can tell you LOL

Dennis    :thumbup:

#9 SteveC43

SteveC43

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted Mar 02 2009 - 04:07 PM

Well, I don't have a flat screen, so I don't think I'll gain as much.

Also, I'm running closer and closer to world record times at certain tracks. I don't want this to push me over, I want to earn it legit. I'll wait a few more months or until all the servers are changed over.

#10 JohnnyAck

JohnnyAck

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted Mar 02 2009 - 09:06 PM

View PostSteveC43, on Mar 2 2009, 02:43 PM, said:

I was bump drafting in the non-60FPS-patched updated 65 mod as well. It is the smaller and corrected collision boxes that play the largest part I think.

I'm going to wait a few months to try the 60FPS patch. I'm concerned about what it does to lap times and I don't want to use it until I'm sure it's OK in that regard. I'm also not sure what I'd really gain. Maybe a touch more smoothness?
If anyones qualified to test against laptimes, its you. Make a player folder "steve60fpscloyd" and test away. I have already began my personal testing at where i can drive consistently, monza. First, I set my pb there in eagle at 36 fps, 1:26.79 now, :) and then began running the 60 patch there. So far ive only been able to muster a 1:26.96, but the 36 fps lap was a good one, so I am still testing. From that, I feel very encouraged about the times not being altered, but plenty of testing left.Ill have 60fps server up when im around, and I even got J. Davis to load gpl again, and expereince the online bumping.Come on in and race.:)

Johnny Ackerman

#11 Iestyn16

Iestyn16

Tom Pryce

• Members
  • 271 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Music

Posted Mar 02 2009 - 10:23 PM

Mmm bump drafting.

Racing equivalent of.. :rofl: ?

Haven't tested it yet, but it looks way different as in the video previews! With 36fps the track moves in a 'comfy' way underneath the car, just slightly stutterily - guess i've gotten used to it. I kinda see what is meant by CRT vs. LCD as I have used both with GPL, and CRT is 'more forgiving' if anything like that can be said from 'subjective feel' - lol.

JA - Omg, and I missed this?!  :oops: My one and only chance to race with Mr. uh.  :shock:

#12 JohnnyAck

JohnnyAck

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted Mar 02 2009 - 11:36 PM

View PostIestyn16, on Mar 2 2009, 11:23 PM, said:

Mmm bump drafting.

Racing equivalent of.. :rofl: ?

Haven't tested it yet, but it looks way different as in the video previews! With 36fps the track moves in a 'comfy' way underneath the car, just slightly stutterily - guess i've gotten used to it. I kinda see what is meant by CRT vs. LCD as I have used both with GPL, and CRT is 'more forgiving' if anything like that can be said from 'subjective feel' - lol.

JA - Omg, and I missed this?!  :oops: My one and only chance to race with Mr. uh.  :shock:
jd and I are driving some 65s tonite:)

#13 SteveC43

SteveC43

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted Mar 03 2009 - 06:00 AM

View PostJohnnyAck, on Mar 2 2009, 10:06 PM, said:

If anyones qualified to test against laptimes, its you. Make a player folder "steve60fpscloyd" and test away.

Maybe this weekend if I get time. I won't be able to touch GPL until Thursday at the earliest, and I'm not sure I want to spend the limited time I do have testing software. We'll see if the mood strikes.  :hat-tip:

Racing JD would be fun though. :)

#14 Josef Paul

Josef Paul

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted Mar 04 2009 - 08:30 PM

View PostSteveC43, on Mar 3 2009, 07:00 AM, said:

Maybe this weekend if I get time. I won't be able to touch GPL until Thursday at the earliest, and I'm not sure I want to spend the limited time I do have testing software. We'll see if the mood strikes.  :hat-tip:

Racing JD would be fun though. :)

Frankly, I'm surprised you weren't ask to test it before it was released. You or another record holder of note. If you can reliably add to your records, it will invalidate all previous times, something of a concern for those who follow GPLRank.

#15 brr

brr

a GPL editor

• Members
  • 1,244 posts

Posted Mar 05 2009 - 12:13 AM

View PostJosef Paul, on Mar 5 2009, 04:30 AM, said:

Frankly, I'm surprised you weren't ask to test it before it was released. You or another record holder of note.

I'm surprised that few people bother to read the README. Aleksi Elomaa (Monaco WRs with Lotus and Eagle), Phil Woodward (several WRs), and Elias Hirvonen (several WRs) got the patch for testing early on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links