Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,257 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 09 2017 - 04:25 PM

Nothing new there Leon. I've had dreams all my life for different things. I've never gotten any of them. I expect GPL-2 to be the same.

#17 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,296 posts
  • Interests:everything that has a Ferrari V12 inside
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Sep 09 2017 - 04:34 PM

Well in that case I then hope GPL 2 to happen, in which ever form, as long as it is as you would have liked it ;) it would make me happy too, so I have nothing to lose in sharing your dream :)

#18 hagapito40

hagapito40

On the search...

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:Classic Racing History, Modeling in 3ds Max and of course RACING!

Posted Sep 09 2017 - 05:44 PM

There is still some problems with a GPL 2 project... too many ifs....
if the majority of the hardcore GPL user want to chage to other platform...which I do not think will happen after 20 years...
if the majority of the hardcore GPL modders want to chage to other platform...which I do not think will happen after 20 years...

you have to chose that platform
it is obvious that it is not the non-existence of other platforms that has prevented it until today (GTL-GTR2-Rfactor1-and so on)

Lets see the possibilities...and please help me to think

PCars...not moddable
AC...with 19 car on track...a no go for most of the  pc rigs!
Automobilista....nice....but from a driving experience point not much better that Rfactor1
Rfactor2...if where mi money...i will choose it!!! BUT after testing the last build...the graphic engine is a dead end...and i will no go further in explanations (my english is limited and slow :() but the problem is not how ugly looks but how high is the hardware demand... at the end the same as AC
GTR3 with the UE4 graphic engine....well let me have some hope ....

#19 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,257 posts

Posted Sep 09 2017 - 06:48 PM

Before you made your list I was thinking GTR3. However, they don't show any interest except for GT cars. It's pretty much a lost cause. GPL will be it for us and that's fine. I'll always love GPL.

#20 hagapito40

hagapito40

On the search...

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted Sep 09 2017 - 07:31 PM

View PostPete Gaimari, on Sep 09 2017 - 06:48 PM, said:

Before you made your list I was thinking GTR3. However, they don't show any interest except for GT cars. It's pretty much a lost cause. GPL will be it for us and that's fine. I'll always love GPL.

I was not talkin about his interest but mine and other modders Pete! ;)

#21 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.

Posted Sep 10 2017 - 02:51 AM

On paper, rFactor 2 is the platform for GPL modders to choose, it has rain, day / night transitions, tracks that rubber in (Realroad), flexible race rules that allow for most of the types of races we had in the 50s, 60s and 70s. It already has a pretty decent Spa, Monaco and the Tasman track Longford, plus a Brabham BT20 and a Lola looky-likey. They apparently have the license for a number of other historic cars including the '67 Eagle T1G but ISI never got round to building it.

Trouble is, it seems to be incredibly difficult to mod for... the tyre model needs all sorts of data that just isn't available, the Realroad system is complex, even some of the official content that ships with the game occasionally has issues for some people with some hardware.

Even with a super high end PC it still only just runs smoothly for me, occasional stuttering and a couple of crashes. The good news is that the new developers seem to be working hard to improve it (ISI seemed to have given up) and it is definitely improving, the not so good news is that the DLC content that's funding this work will be more GT3 cars because that's what most simracers seem to want.

The other sims are great but don't offer wet racing or day / night transisions, but as Leon says they're great for just a quick race if you've got a spare hour or two. Plus there are some pretty awesome cars and tracks to drive now:

Historic Imola, Ostereichring and Kyalami in Automobilista's 60s and 70s cars

Some interesting historic tin tops in Raceroom (but no historic circuits unfortunately)

Several historic Porsches, Ferraris, Alfas, Fords, Lotus, Maseratis in Assetto Corsa, Monza, Monza Banking and Silverstone circuits plus some great mod content now... Lola Can Am and GT car, Jag XJ13, Riverside and Bridgehampton are great, plus several historic tracks from Sergio Loro.

pCars 2 seems to be an improvement over pCars1 and has some old stuff too, we'll soon find out if it's any good.

But there's little hope of a GPL2 unless modders make it happen, maybe if rF2 gets it's act together people will get busy and start making the content, it had a difficult birth but it now seems to be getting development time.

Edited by Fat Rich, Sep 10 2017 - 02:55 AM.

#22 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,296 posts
  • Interests:everything that has a Ferrari V12 inside
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Sep 10 2017 - 04:42 AM

The problem with GPL modders is that they don't want to move :s that's what will make the community stagnate in the long run. It'll come a point when running GPL won't be reasonable anymore. Like an Amish community. Yes it works for a few people, but it can't work anymore for everybody because world has moved on.

ANYWAY, this is something to look out for

https://forum.studio...la-2-mod.54810/

#23 hagapito40

hagapito40

On the search...

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted Sep 10 2017 - 10:01 AM

View PostFat Rich, on Sep 10 2017 - 02:51 AM, said:

Trouble is, it seems to be incredibly difficult to mod for... the tyre model needs all sorts of data that just isn't available, the Realroad system is complex, even some of the official content that ships with the game occasionally has issues for some people with some hardware.

I was not aware of that!
What took me away from Rf2 was the fact that after test the built 1108 i found it only a cosmetical update by studio 397 making the tings even worst...more sttuters...worst ai and so on. My rig (phenom II 945 + GTX560ti + 16gb) is able to run the game smooth at 60fps  with built 1080 or so...until after several freezes the video card had fail to start and i had to do a homemade reflowing (not the Oven method) to make it work again. In any case  almost all online servers run the last built there is no sense in run with and older one even if its better!

someone remember this? the Simbim open wheel testing car...

Attached File  Untitled-2.jpg   81.04K   27 downloads

#24 sergioloro

sergioloro

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 274 posts

Posted Sep 10 2017 - 10:24 AM

Assetto Corsa looks great, not sure if best option for 60's race event.
RF2 looks good too, and with more option to create customs series.
The fact is most of talented modders want to make "paid" content, the fact is how many people want to pay for a complete 60's F1 season or a complete 60's Touring series.

Attached Files

#25 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,257 posts

Posted Sep 10 2017 - 10:28 AM

View Postsergioloro, on Sep 10 2017 - 10:24 AM, said:

Assetto Corsa looks great, not sure if best option for 60's race event.
RF2 looks good too, and with more option to create customs series.
The fact is most of talented modders want to make "paid" content, the fact is how many people want to pay for a complete 60's F1 season or a complete 60's Touring series.

There's a lot of them that download everything made for GPL. Although, those guys may be too cheap to buy it if they had to.

#26 tikfas

tikfas

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted Sep 23 2017 - 04:52 AM

So kunos brought the beloved 312/67 with the ferrari pack for AC.
Havent tried,bought,yet.
What is your opinion on this car?
Has anybody tried it?
They,kunos,have somekind of close relation to ferrari,so i am expecting a lot!

Edited by tikfas, Sep 23 2017 - 04:54 AM.

#27 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,257 posts

Posted Sep 24 2017 - 07:55 AM

View Posttikfas, on Sep 23 2017 - 04:52 AM, said:

So kunos brought the beloved 312/67 with the ferrari pack for AC.
Havent tried,bought,yet.
What is your opinion on this car?
Has anybody tried it?
They,kunos,have somekind of close relation to ferrari,so i am expecting a lot!

http://srmz.net/inde...showtopic=12049

#28 tikfas

tikfas

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted Sep 24 2017 - 09:48 AM

Thanks Pete!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links