Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,257 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 07 2017 - 01:11 PM

I was expecting trouble, but nobody said a thing. Post #29.

http://www.nogriprac...ad.php?t=370482

#2 hagapito40

hagapito40

On the search...

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:Classic Racing History, Modeling in 3ds Max and of course RACING!

Posted Sep 07 2017 - 03:11 PM

https://www.youtube....hannel=emimusic

:D :D :D

#3 one2fwee

one2fwee

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Sep 07 2017 - 05:56 PM

Well if you want to get a reaction you are better off creating a topic at race department or responding to one of their front page articles just after it has been posted :P

In all seriousness though, it's really sad that no developers seem to care about historical content to do it justice anymore.
RF2 had the opportunity to go in that direction when it was bought by studio 397 but i think it's quite obvious they are just trying to chase the same modern GT3 / F1 crowd as all the other sims. It seems a bit stupid to me as in order to gain market share they need to differentiate themselves from the other sims and give people a reason to get the game, not just copy everyone else.

Modern content is so dull - and most of it is down to the circuits. You can still get low grip, low / no aero cars in feeder series but if you're racing on modern tracks it's still going to be a bore fest.
You know you've reached the point of no return when you see people on RD describing Circuit of the Americas as a great circuit

#4 hagapito40

hagapito40

On the search...

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:Classic Racing History, Modeling in 3ds Max and of course RACING!

Posted Sep 07 2017 - 06:12 PM

one2fwee, on Sep 07 2017 - 05:56 PM, said:

In all seriousness though, it's really sad that no developers seem to care about historical content to do it justice anymore.

Automobilista have  the "vintage" series with V8 and V12 physics, and the option of non or early wings to play on historicaly accurate tracks like Kyalami...WHO IS RACING THAT SERIE ONLINE?....NONE
Who is racing modern aero f1 or modern GT ...90%
Game industry is a business...nothing else... why Iracing donĀ“t have more historical content?

one2fwee, on Sep 07 2017 - 05:56 PM, said:

Modern content is so dull - and most of it is down to the circuits. You can still get low grip, low / no aero cars in feeder series but if you're racing on modern tracks it's still going to be a bore fest.
You know you've reached the point of no return when you see people on RD describing Circuit of the Americas as a great circuit

I can only agree with you! :cry:

Edited by hagapito40, Sep 07 2017 - 06:14 PM.

#5 one2fwee

one2fwee

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted Sep 07 2017 - 06:58 PM

Automobilista does a half arsed effort - the physics are generic for the historical cars rather than having individual physics for different teams they just have 1 for the whole series.
And they don't have a season's worth of tracks either.

Plus they only really go as far back as the 70s - which is a lot better than modern but still after the introduction of armco and the start of the modification of circuits.

I was really pleased that they made historical Imola though, although a 60s version without armco and with all the trees and crazy fences would be a lot more atmospheric.
I couldn't find any information about their curved first turn of rivazza though - it's really hard to find info. I did find an aerial from 88 though which was interesting. It shows that even the section from piratella to acque minerali has changed, which all the maps i have found online don't show.

I really do think that if someone did a full season with proper amount of tracks and individual physics for the cars and all the atmosphere and drivers etc it would do reasonably, if marketed out to the gaming media. Simulations are becoming more and more accepted by them and something like this is a space in the market that no one is filling.
It has to be a consistent and coherent package though, something that people can get behind.

They even have licences for Cadwell and Brands and they never did historical versions of them either :( Even their latest track, I just looked it up and the original layout looks really cool. But of course they are not doing the 73-80 version :( http://www.racingcir...ahuarcocha.html

Also there is no getting away from the fact that AM is basically a tweaked version of RF1 with some small physics additions now they have source access. In terms of the engine itself it's still ways behind RF2.

However at least they are creating more interesting content than most developers.

Edited by one2fwee, Sep 07 2017 - 07:03 PM.

#6 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.

Posted Sep 08 2017 - 02:15 AM

I think Assetto Corsa and other modern sims have a reasonable number of historic cars and tracks, given that the vast majority of their customers don't like them at all and moan if they don't get what they want :(

Sim racing is a niche market in gaming, and historic sim racing is an incredibly small subset of that.... it's no wonder game developers don't make much content. Even GPL wasn't a commercial success, it attracted players because it had the best physics at the time, and online racing, but as soon as rFactor and GTR came along everyone abandoned it. Except us, of course :)

Add to that, it's more complicated to licence content if the companies are no longer around, plus recreating a historic circuit requires an enormous amount of detective work and research.... not cost effective.

These new fangled, pesky kids just aren't interested in proper motorsport! :grumpy:

;) :P

Edited by Fat Rich, Sep 08 2017 - 02:19 AM.

#7 tikfas

tikfas

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted Sep 08 2017 - 03:20 AM

All interesting stuff here and always informative!
I would like to ask,a long time now,how do you like Lotus 49 in AC?

#8 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 749 posts

Posted Sep 08 2017 - 04:36 AM

It's fun and probably handles more realistically than the one in vanilla GPL... but the original GPL version is much more of a challenge and therefore more rewarding in my opinion. Much more difficult to get the power down with that huge surge in power in the middle of the rev range and GPL's low speed grip characteristics :). (The modded 49s fix this in GPL too, more realistic but less maybe challenging? :shrug: )

The AC version is nicely detailed but somehow doesn't look totally right. Maybe the nose? Not sure.

It also has adjustable gear ratios, whereas the original '67 car had fixed ratios but with an adjustable final drive (different gearbox in the 49B and 49C cars).... but GPL gets that wrong too.

Pete mentioned in other posts that the AC version seems to have a speedo, I keep meaning to look at the real car to see if this is wrong, but I keep forgetting.

In common with most of the cars in AC, the 49 is easy to drive slowly, pretty easy to drive at the limit, but getting that extra few tenths of a second over the limit is very difficult indeed. Just like a real car, I reckon.

#9 Andy Clegg

Andy Clegg

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:Long distance sports car racing. Touring cars.

Posted Sep 08 2017 - 09:41 AM

I'm with you Pete. I still drive GPL, but now I drive P&G, GT legends and at the moment GTR2. I keep looking at the Brickyard legends website but that's just Group five racing from the 1970's (cars only).
I'm more than  happy racing all the above, but I'm sure if something of interest came on the market I'd be interested.

#10 tikfas

tikfas

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted Sep 08 2017 - 11:21 AM

@Fat Rich,thanks for your feedback about Lotus49!
Couldn'n agree more about Gpl been more challenging.Something in AC doesn't ...click me.
I will give it a little more time-laps but i dont think i would stick long time with it.

#11 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 749 posts

Posted Sep 08 2017 - 02:49 PM

Yeah, it's odd how some sims "click" and some don't.... AC does for me, the other new sims not so much, even though I couldn't really give you a reason why :)

#12 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,296 posts
  • Interests:everything that has a Ferrari V12 inside

Posted Sep 09 2017 - 01:38 PM

If someone wants the full historical experience GPL is still the way to go. Thank God it was properly shaped in the first place, the modders then got the extra juice running. Imagine a reality in which GPL was not made. Then we would be very much fu**ed :D

With that said, I like both AC and AMS replicas of the 60es F1. I think that the trick is not to expect a season, but a one-time experience. What do I mean? I mean that for example I've spent something like 30 hours in AC on Monza with the 49 and I still like to drive there whenever I want to relax. Yes, driving a season with all the exact tracks and competitors would be very much fun. But also getting a proper replica of the car on a proper replica of a period track is a lot of fun by itself. If someone would give you the chance to travel back in time whenever you want to have just an hour on the Lotus 49 at Monza, wouldn't you take it? To me is more than enough really. And with the 312 coming, plus Silverstone, I am content.

We must learn to be content with what we have. You want a full season? Play GPL! Why bother expecting something newer if it already works good? You want a more modern experience from a graphical and physics wise standpoint? Then play a modern sim! No side is the right side. The one which gives you fun and let you forget about everyday problems is the right party to pick ;) we have the fortune to be able to choose, so let's choose. Why wage a war to limit the option one can have down to a single one?

#13 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,257 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Sep 09 2017 - 01:50 PM

What we want is GPL-2  Leon. A modern sim with the sounds and graphics, but the content of GPL. Just a dream but a dream is all we'll have.

The majority want wings and slicks. Something any lead foot can drive.

#14 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Mainly interested in two sims: GPL (and mods) and Nascar 2003 Season (and mods).

Posted Sep 09 2017 - 03:58 PM

I'd be a screwed pooch if it weren't for GPL. Today's F1 really leaves me cold. They race like slot cars with glue on the tires.

Very thankful that the high-caliber GPL community has kept it alive and created so many fantastic mods for it.

Now, having said that, I am getting ready to embark on a quest within contemporary released sims: Looking to get into today's rally sims via Dirt Rally, as well as perhaps Dirt 4, and possibly WRC 7, too. I have the truly ancient Rally Trophy from 2001 and it's just too dated to keep me entertained for the long term. I also have Richard Burns Rally from 2004, and though the physics are very good... I can only run it on my older XP machine for it just will NOT install on my Win 7 machine. Besides, the graphics in RBR are quite dull compared to what is currently available for rally.

Old Simmer
Andre Ming

Edited by Old Simmer, Sep 09 2017 - 03:58 PM.

#15 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,296 posts
  • Interests:everything that has a Ferrari V12 inside

Posted Sep 09 2017 - 03:59 PM

A dream can consume you, it can limit you. It is capable of not letting you fully experience what you have because you long for something you *might* have.
GPL 2 won't come. Ever. Not in the form we expect it. Probably a group of modders will one day convert a suitable platform. Like it happened for PnG. That is something more realistic. Something seems to be already moving in the rFactor 2 community. Maybe ;)

I believe people like what they see on TV or on the magazines and can promptly replicate. If this technology existed in the 60es we would be probably complaining that everyone likes cigar shaped cars in sims and no one the mighty Grand Prix cars from the 30es :D

Edited by leon_90, Sep 09 2017 - 04:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links