- - - - -

Visual Pace Notes - The Only Way I Can Make That Work At Present.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Pearson

Jim Pearson

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:Trackmaking, Bike Road Racing, Links Golf, Long Distance Walking.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Aug 23 2017 - 09:15 PM

The attached PDF shows how I have been approaching this topic for my long term project.

Its a system that works and is fairly simple, but does require manual file handling, which is a bit of a pain.

I am not a coder, however I tried to teach myself VB or C++ from UTube tutorials to come up with a "File Swapper" program to perform the same tasks, however it seems coding a "Copy/Paste/Overwrite" function is rather more complicated than I first assumed. See attached images.

So I have given up on that idea at least for the present.

Back to subject though, the fundamentals of this approach remain viable for any track, but requires track makers to recompile the track 3do incorporating new "Direction Arrow" 3do sets and their accompanying textures. This system does not affect the physical driving conditions in the track in any way, its purely a visual change.

For those still curious about the state of my own track work, I have made some little progress and hope to show that in a new video or two in a couple of months time. Its a long way off completion though, as I have other priorities and this is just a nice hobby for when I have time.

Fear not though, for there is a new Bike sim coming out this year which might satisfy any desire to "ride the Mountain". [ Not sure about the riding physics, but the track does look good ]

https://www.youtube....h?v=6hMzmGGWA5w

Attached Files

Edited by Jim Pearson, Aug 24 2017 - 07:46 PM.

#2 marco lenarduzzi

marco lenarduzzi

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:racing sims,cars, F1,cooking,skiing

Posted Aug 24 2017 - 12:28 AM

Looking forward to it :drool:

#3 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted Aug 24 2017 - 03:48 AM

Thanks Jim, I´ve been thinking about your project lately...

#4 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, chess, classical music(piano concetos), computers, firearms, modern military history, motor racing, racing sims.
  • Sim interest:I have no preference

Posted Aug 24 2017 - 06:30 AM

Thanks for the update, Jim.  Good to know that you're still involved with this mammoth project.  It'll be a ripper!

As for the link to the bikie sim, I watched it in toto.  WOWZER!

Edit: After viewing the full trailer and considering the daunting nature of this challenge, I hope that the developer offers up this...

Attached File  vespa.png   144.51K   3 downloads

...as an ride option.  It's the only thing that I'd trust myself with to get back in one piece.  :)

Edited by Manfred Cubenoggin, Aug 24 2017 - 07:16 AM.

#5 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,669 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Aug 24 2017 - 07:33 AM

Jim, thank you for the update.  Your track arrows for familiarization sounds like a super method!

Wow!!  I just read through your Environmental Options pdf. - great stuff and as expected, so professionally presented.  That got my juices flowing!

Thanks, again, for your dedication and artistic talents in creating the Mountain Course for GPL. Good on ya, Jim!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links