JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Interests:Historic motor sport, sailing, astrophotography
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Aug 19 2017 - 01:15 AM

I have been considering buying a bigger monitor, but part of me still hopes that someone will find a way to get GPL working in VR, either with Occulus Rift or some other equipment. Does anyone think or know if VR could be coming to GPL soon, or are we all going to be using monitors for years to come?

#2 Pedro

Pedro

Pedro

• Supporter
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends
    Scuba-diving
    Airplanes
    Money :-)

Posted Aug 19 2017 - 12:56 PM

Finaly they will find a way to view everything in VR.

All is developing fast and still is in early stage.
Very expensive, so I wait and wait and wait, till I have enough mony to buy all i want.

Buy that bigger monitor Jonny, you wont regret it!

#3 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted Aug 19 2017 - 02:31 PM

Hmmm... moving from a 1920 x 1080 monitor to 2560 x 1080 will cost around £150 on eBay. May have to wait until Christmas!

#4 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Aug 20 2017 - 06:00 AM

There is support for TrackIR so I think there is a possiblity. Not sure on how the depth perception would work.

#5 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted Aug 20 2017 - 06:50 AM

Presumably with basic VR the content is displayed 'flat', as if you were standing at the centre of a spherical monitor? Must confess I don't know much about it.

#6 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Supporter
  • 3,350 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Sep 04 2017 - 07:48 AM

I'm also into combat flight sims and it seems everybody is going to VR. Correct me if i'm wrong. I'm blind in one eye. VR wouldn't work for me right? You need sight in both eyes to see 3D?

#7 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 700 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Sep 04 2017 - 01:51 PM

Yes Pete...

#8 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Supporter
  • 3,350 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Sep 04 2017 - 01:58 PM

What's it look like if you close one eye?

#9 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 711 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Sep 04 2017 - 04:05 PM

View PostPete Gaimari, on Sep 04 2017 - 07:48 AM, said:

I'm also into combat flight sims and it seems everybody is going to VR. Correct me if i'm wrong. I'm blind in one eye. VR wouldn't work for me right? You need sight in both eyes to see 3D?

As far as I know the VR goggles on the market today is in the most basic terms, two monitors 5-10 cm in front of your eyes. All the VR goggles are doing is tracking head movement and showing you the same feed with a slight offset. Any 3D effect you may experience is down to the grey matter in your skull not the device.So a VR device would still work but you'd have no depth perception because of the lack of second visual input.

#10 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Supporter
  • 761 posts
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.

Posted Sep 06 2017 - 05:18 AM

Definitely 3D, they have lenses that focus your eyes to infinity so you don't get eyestrain. It's one screen but it's divided in half, one half for each eye. Showing the same scene but the viewpoint offset by a nosewidth.... just like real life therefore proper 3D.

For GPL, we'd need a rasterizer that renders the scene from 2 viewpoints, at 90 fps (goodbye AI) or you'll get motion sickness. Plus the code inserted into the game to do the head tracking. A lot of work :(

I recently got an Occulus Rift and it's a mixed bag. The resolution is pretty disappointing, but the feeling of immersion is great, the head tracking is fantastic and the 3D is cool. If you're short sighted it's a pain because the eyes are focussed to infinity so everything is blurred unless you wear glasses inside the rift.... which is OK once you're wearing it, but uncomfortable getting it on and off. It's quite light and comfortable otherwise, but gets a bit hot in warm weather.

My feeling is that it's the future of simracing... but a bit compromised at the moment. It's a huge improvement over a single screen allowing you to see apexes, exit points on hairpins, and cars racing alongside. But triple screens give you that but at a much higher resolution and therefore more clarity. I'm sure they'll release higher resolution headsets in the future, but even the most powerful PCs struggle to deliver the 90fps you need to not get motion sickness.

Edited by Fat Rich, Sep 06 2017 - 05:25 AM.

#11 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Supporter
  • 761 posts

Posted Sep 06 2017 - 05:23 AM

View PostPete Gaimari, on Sep 04 2017 - 07:48 AM, said:

You'd be able to use it, but you wouldn't get the 3D effect.... you might be better off spending your money on triple screens instead (which already works with GPL)

Edit: Given this some more thought, you'd get the benefits of head tracking....  for example if you can't see one of the your dials because the steering wheel is in the way, you'll be able to move your head to see around it like you can in real life.... it changes the viewpoint based on where your head is. It doesn't just pan a flat 2D image around like TrackIR for example. But not a huge benefit though, I guess :)

Edited by Fat Rich, Sep 06 2017 - 06:58 AM.

#12 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted Sep 06 2017 - 05:58 AM

Thanks for the information Rich. As you say, VR is the future of sim racing, and if we want to future-proof GPL, to keep new drivers coming to it and keep the community alive, we need to encourage ways to make it happen.

#13 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Sep 06 2017 - 07:23 AM

Some GPL tracks, and those of other sims as well, might not play so well when you can see everywhere.
Not that it would stop me if I got the chance.

:D

#14 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Supporter
  • 761 posts

Posted Sep 06 2017 - 10:28 AM

View PostJohn Woods, on Sep 06 2017 - 07:23 AM, said:

Some GPL tracks, and those of other sims as well, might not play so well when you can see everywhere.
Not that it would stop me if I got the chance.

:D

Tracks would mostly be OK I reckon, but the car cockpits and the driver's arms might not look so good....and in VR they become YOUR arms, it's quite spooky! Also, as far as I know GPL uses a flat square (2 polys with a transparent mip) for a steering wheel as opposed to a fully 3D modelled wheel in later sims. The cockpits in modern sims look fantastic and are very detailed.

One advantage of the Rift versus triple screens is that there is a much greater vertical field of vision in VR, which would bring the mirrors in the GT mods back into view :)

Edited by Fat Rich, Sep 06 2017 - 10:30 AM.

#15 one2fwee

one2fwee

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 309 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Sep 06 2017 - 06:38 PM

This isn't really related to VR but doesn't GPL render in a weird way so that if you turn around and drive the wrong way the track doesn't render properly and it looks rather weird and crappy with the draw distance and lods and clipping and stuff.
I can imagine it not looking great if you try to look behind yourself in VR due to that.

What causes that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links