#46 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted May 21 2017 - 04:47 PM

Sorry Webfoot, I don't have any further suggestions.

If you're getting the "Deactivated" sound as soon as you start GPL, then the program itself was running so it isn't a  Visual Basic issue.

The only time we testers saw this issue was when GEM+ was used to start GPL.  If the GPL .exe was started directly, then TrackSounds worked OK.  Apparently, that doesn't work for you.

Probably most or our testers, including me, are still using Windows 7 so we don't have a way to troubleshoot Windows 10.  :(

#47 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,404 posts
  • Interests:My Girlfriend

Posted May 22 2017 - 04:53 AM

Maybe start the tool with administrator rights?

#48 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted May 22 2017 - 09:52 AM

Pacenotes for long tracks are a great idea. :)

#49 webfoot

webfoot

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted May 22 2017 - 12:24 PM

Update on my problem.
I tried running as administrator.  Setting Windows compatability (tried windows 7 & 8). Neither worked.  I updated my Creative Sound Blaster drivers and rebooted and it worked ONCE (and once only).  Have not figured out what happened.  Tried rebooting again and couldn't repeat it. Following further testing, I'm 99% sure that updating the drivers did not fix anything

Having heard it work once, I tried side stepping the problem.  If starting GPL kills TrackSound try changing the sequence.  So now I have got it working by :D
  • Start GPL (works for me either straight from the executable or from GEM+2)

• Switch back to Windows (alt-Tab) and start TrackSounds

• Switch back to GPL.
I have now improved this by running TrackSounds from a CMD file.  This pauses for 10 seconds before launching TrackSounds.  So I start GEM+2, make any selections I want to use, run the CMD and then quickly hit the green button to launch GPL.  TrackSounds launch is delayed enough so that it doesn't get killed by ??? as GPL initialises.

Tested with Monaco and I think everything played correctly.  I will do some more testing and post a further update if i spot any further pattern to the situation.

A couple of updates above in bold.

Edited by webfoot, May 24 2017 - 05:00 AM.

#50 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,381 posts

Posted May 24 2017 - 07:50 AM

That's interesting Webfoot.  Since everything is OK if you delay starting TrackSounds for 10 seconds, then I bet it has something to do with your PC being too slow to handle the GPL startup while TrackSounds is already running.  You don't say what PC you have, but perhaps Windows 10 is slowing things down?

I see you are you using a SoundBlaster card.  I did several years ago too and had nothing but trouble with it...sounds were often scratchy.  I'm using the motherboard sound now with no problem whatsoever.

#51 webfoot

webfoot

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted May 24 2017 - 12:56 PM

i7 quad core running at 3.8GHZ with 16Gb so a reasonable spec I think.  So I think Windows 10 may be the cause but I don't think it's a PC speed issue.  As part of my testing I switched between SB and motherboard (Realtek) sound. Both gave the same results.

In any case I have a working solution.  Thanks again Lee for all your work on GPL.

#52 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,381 posts

Posted May 24 2017 - 02:00 PM

You're welcome Webfoot.  I agree, it's not your PC as it should be able to run everything very well...I suspect it's a Windows 10 issue.

#53 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,660 posts

Posted May 25 2017 - 06:43 AM

This is a website where you can enter text and it will be spoken (available for different languages).
You can record it with an external program.

http://www.acapela-group.com/

This could be useful for pace notes. :)

Edit: Seems like they have changed their website. Now there is an annoying melody in the background.
This has not been in the past. :(

Edited by Stefan Roess, Aug 07 2017 - 05:24 AM.

#54 Cannylad

Cannylad

Ludovico Scarfiotti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:GPL, GTL, P&G, rFactor HistoriX, Music, Gardening, Classic car restoration, Fixing things.

Posted May 25 2017 - 09:48 AM

I've found DSpeech very good for text to speech (http://dimio.altervista.org/), though I've only tried it in English. It's standalone freeware, and can save the output directly as an mp3 file.

#55 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,660 posts

Posted Aug 07 2017 - 05:30 AM

View PostCannylad, on May 25 2017 - 09:48 AM, said:

I've found DSpeech very good for text to speech (http://dimio.altervista.org/), though I've only tried it in English. It's standalone freeware, and can save the output directly as an mp3 file.

Thx! I haven`t tested the program yet, but it looks interesting.

-------------------------------------------

There are Targa pace notes available for rFactor created by 6e66o: http://www.virtualr....enotes-released
They could be handy when someone should pick up the big task to create them for GPL. ;)

I would like to try to create them for the GPL Targa but I just don`t have enough time atm. :(

I had already posted this at this thread:
Targa Florio Pace Notes?
http://srmz.net/inde...showtopic=11986

:wave:

Edited by Stefan Roess, Aug 07 2017 - 05:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links