#16 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted May 13 2017 - 05:02 PM

No problem Lord and yes, I've tried many different ways of making the sounds clearer.  This current version of TrackSounds is the best I can do given that it works for all mods and Windows operating systems.

The old TrackSounds used Microsoft's DirectSound system and didn't work at all well with GPL running on Windows XP.  So to avoid that mess, I'm now using Microsoft's MCI code which not only seems to work OK, but is included with all Windows versions.  MCI is ancient compared to today's versions of DirectSound, but at least it works.

I didn't intend to sound harsh, but TrackSounds is one program where the end user, the GPL community, can easily modify it for each individual's desires.  After years of making patches and programs, I've given up on trying to please everyone; especially since very few here are willing to contribute anything in return.

#17 Lord

Lord

Mr. Broken Gearbox

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • Interests:Formula 1, Football (Soccer), Grand Prix Legends and rFactor

Posted May 14 2017 - 04:00 AM

View PostLee200, on May 13 2017 - 05:02 PM, said:

No problem Lord and yes, I've tried many different ways of making the sounds clearer.  This current version of TrackSounds is the best I can do given that it works for all mods and Windows operating systems.

The old TrackSounds used Microsoft's DirectSound system and didn't work at all well with GPL running on Windows XP.  So to avoid that mess, I'm now using Microsoft's MCI code which not only seems to work OK, but is included with all Windows versions.  MCI is ancient compared to today's versions of DirectSound, but at least it works.

I didn't intend to sound harsh, but TrackSounds is one program where the end user, the GPL community, can easily modify it for each individual's desires.  After years of making patches and programs, I've given up on trying to please everyone; especially since very few here are willing to contribute anything in return.

Don't worry man, no harm no foul :)

Mh... Have you tried OpenAL? Some tout it to be the best alternative to Directsound and it's cross-platform: maybe it's worth a shot. From the looks of it, sounds like an OpenGL, but for audio :)

#18 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,381 posts

Posted May 14 2017 - 07:05 AM

Yes, I tried OpenAL too...it didn't sound any better than DirectSound.  :(

I consider TrackSounds done as there is no point in making further enhancements to it unless the GPL community likes it and starts making their own track sounds.  So far, no one has posted any new sounds or settings.

Will wait and see...

#19 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,676 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted May 14 2017 - 07:19 AM

Heh!!  Lee, how about the pit (knockoff hammer & fueling), horse, owl, golf, and the startup music sound from the 1955 movie 'The Racers' that I made?  :)

Edited by gliebzeit, May 14 2017 - 07:52 AM.

#20 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,381 posts

Posted May 14 2017 - 08:26 AM

Greg, I was talking about sounds and settings from others here at SRMZ.  I didn't mean to slight your contributions that are already included with the patch.  :)

#21 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,165 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted May 14 2017 - 08:43 AM

View PostLee200, on May 14 2017 - 07:05 AM, said:

So far, no one has posted any new sounds or settings.

Will wait and see...

Think it is because so few know how to do anything.
Maybe in time editors with expertise could write up some instructions?

:D

Edited by John Woods, May 14 2017 - 08:43 AM.

#22 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,676 posts

Posted May 14 2017 - 08:49 AM

Lee, no worries.  I just wanted to point out that even a sound novice like myself can make track sound files for G.P.L. TrackSounds v2.00 with the online aids available today.  :)

Free program - Audacity, for making and editing sound files.  It allows visual editing and saving in multiple formats:
http://www.audacityteam.org/

Web site - Freesound, for a treasure trove of sound samples try this free (with registration) web site:
https://www.freesound.org/

Online audio file converter:
http://media.io/

Edited by gliebzeit, May 14 2017 - 09:44 AM.

#23 Lord

Lord

Mr. Broken Gearbox

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted May 14 2017 - 09:19 AM

View PostLee200, on May 14 2017 - 07:05 AM, said:

Yes, I tried OpenAL too...it didn't sound any better than DirectSound.  :(

I consider TrackSounds done as there is no point in making further enhancements to it unless the GPL community likes it and starts making their own track sounds.  So far, no one has posted any new sounds or settings.

Will wait and see...

Mh... maybe a peek to the source code could help fixing a lot of those enhancements. If there's still a Directsound version of the program, I'll be more than happy to test it on my Win10 machine :)
Also, I'm starting to work on a config for Monaco with some added sounds: when I said that this program has great potential I wasn't joking ;)

#24 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,381 posts

Posted May 14 2017 - 09:26 AM

The DirectSound version no longer exists.

Looking forward to hearing your Monaco sounds.  :)

#25 Lord

Lord

Mr. Broken Gearbox

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted May 14 2017 - 10:56 AM

View PostLee200, on May 14 2017 - 09:26 AM, said:

The DirectSound version no longer exists.

Looking forward to hearing your Monaco sounds.  :)

Mh, the patch you've provided doesn't seem to work, I can't see the DLong in the F10 view, just the RPMs :/

#26 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,381 posts

Posted May 14 2017 - 04:48 PM

Lord, it works fine for me of course with the '67 F1 Lotus, but that is always the case.  :)

I assume you are familiar with how to apply a patch.  If not, see my website for instructions.  Also, don't use the No Letterbox patch at the same time as that will probably obscure the rpm reading in the F10 view.

http://gplmotorworks.gplworld.de/

Edited by Lee200, May 14 2017 - 04:48 PM.

#27 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,676 posts

Posted May 14 2017 - 07:18 PM

Yes, it does work for me, too.

I just needed to not enable the No-Letterbox patch when enabling the DLong in F10 view patch.  Exit GEM+ and .... Yup!  Right there in the RPM display is the Distance From the S/F line.  Cool.  :)

Attached Files

#28 Lord

Lord

Mr. Broken Gearbox

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted May 15 2017 - 01:29 AM

View PostLee200, on May 14 2017 - 04:48 PM, said:

Lord, it works fine for me of course with the '67 F1 Lotus, but that is always the case.  :)

I assume you are familiar with how to apply a patch.  If not, see my website for instructions.  Also, don't use the No Letterbox patch at the same time as that will probably obscure the rpm reading in the F10 view.

http://gplmotorworks.gplworld.de/

Thanks for the heads-up, but I've managed to see where the problem was just after posting: I couldn't edit the post at all because I'm on a limited 4G line and I have limited traffic on it ^^;

On another note, I'd love if you could help me with this: this is the WIP Monaco config I'm working on (with the crowd sounds from GPL as a placeholder playing every time a sizeable crowd is on the track, I'll see if I can grasp a better one)...

crowd.mp3,0,62
crowd.mp3,112,212,L			  
crowd.mp3,274,330,L
crowd.mp3,1055,1090,L
crowd.mp3,1391,1420,R
crowd.mp3,2829,3040,L
crowd.mp3,3096,3100,R
tunnel.mp3,1835,1930

Problem is when I load the program, only some of the lines work properly with the last two not working at all... Could you help me, please? :)

#29 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,676 posts

Posted May 15 2017 - 04:59 AM

Lord, the placement of the sound line in the ini files must be sequential.  The last line is out of sequence numerically.

#30 Lord

Lord

Mr. Broken Gearbox

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted May 15 2017 - 05:40 AM

Alright, I've re-read the info in the INI config file and the first number in the first file must me at least 1, with the sounds being sequential. I didn't see it before, my bad.
Now, a thing I wanted to ask is: can I overlap more sounds one on top of the other on the same distance? That might save a lot of space :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links