John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,457 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted May 11 2016 - 10:48 AM

Wondering for awhile how many Grand Prix Legends users there likely are who at least once a month get on track. Guessing once a month would qualify as an "active user"?

Found this article searching for forum user demographics, thinking some limited result could be determined by applying SRMZ user stats to typical internet forum user characteristics.

The One Percent Rule

Turns out, apparently 1 percent of all viewers of a forum actively participate by creating new content, (that is, post on a forum).

No idea if this holds true here. Might be different for Grand Prix Legends, P&G, NASCAR 2003, or rFactor.

No doubt tho there are many GPLers and other sim users who are not among those who participate in any forums, as creators or viewers, yet enjoy racing Grand Prix Legends and other sims.

Not sure if there is a way to correlate that number of users to those who do view a forum like SRMZ.

Guessing it would be a significant multiple of the number of users who do visit a forum on a regular basis.

Would like to get some idea, just for fun, of a reasonable guess about how many active GPLers there are, and would be interested as well in other SRMZ hosted racesim users.

For instance, if the one percent rule held true in scale, there would be ninety-nine users who never participate in a forum for every one that does.

Just wondering if anyone else has any interest, ideas, or clues about where to find answers or better questions?

Edited by John Woods, May 11 2016 - 10:50 AM.

#2 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,457 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted May 11 2016 - 12:24 PM

Not sure John if this is of any help.Or I am barking up the wrong tree?

There are lots of web trackers,but some need payment and might not be applicable?

http://www.stormthec...ite-traffic.htm

TP:  :hat-tip:

#3 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,457 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted May 12 2016 - 08:30 AM

Notice very often there are over 100 users visiting SRMZ, which might mean there are 10,000 active GPLers?

TP - yes that is the kind of data, but its for forum owners only. Thanks tho maybe some clues there.

Edited by John Woods, May 12 2016 - 09:18 AM.

#4 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.

Posted May 12 2016 - 08:57 AM

Download numbers for the 66 mod or a track like the new Spa would probably give a more accurate number than forum visits, although probably still not very accurate.

I would guess the the 1 percent rule is less likely to apply to this forum due to the nature of GPL, it's now only played by real enthusiasts, plus there are no other forums that really cover the game any more.

Also getting GPL running on modern machines with the latest hardware needs more effort and probably brings more users to this forum for help, hopefully they stick around as it's one of the more grown up and friendly places on the internet :friends:

Forums for other racing sims don't really make me want to stick around, I find out what I need to know then get out quick and leave them to argue amongst themselves about the usual daft things modern sim racers seem to go on about endlessly :beatdeadhorse: :saythat:  :D

#5 Andy Clegg

Andy Clegg

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Long distance sports car racing. Touring cars.

Posted May 12 2016 - 09:04 AM

Every day I visit this site. I think that the reason being is as Rich says,"everybody is happy to help" those like myself who don't know what I'm doing half the time. I've visited other sites and I'm not there for long.

#6 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,515 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Nov 14 2016 - 08:28 PM

Checking in.

#7 SV3000

SV3000

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:AssettoCorsa,rFactor2,LiveForSpeed,Race07

Posted Aug 30 2018 - 01:25 PM

Hi, just a late thought.

From my past experience (used to help organize a live for speed league for 2 years), usually there were about 100-200 views on weekly event post, but in the end only 10-20 racers participated the race (trying to attract people was hard, requires right combo and right time), and only 2-10 people would leave some comments on those race report threads.  I haven't touched GPL since 2015 (after spa67 released) as well until recently, which also led me to not visit srmz for a long time. But I think most players who currently or recently have played/participated something will likely visit corresponding website/forum once in a while. I think all those people may count as active user (or active player?).

#8 Pedro

Pedro

Pedro

• Supporter
  • 1,367 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends
    Scuba-diving
    Airplanes
    Money :-)

Posted Aug 31 2018 - 01:28 PM

I am one of the 100% :shhh:

Dont know what to say,
come here almost every day,
not much time to read,
downloading and gone
keeping a eye on whats going on,
2 times a month or more racing online.

It would be a great loss for me if this is gone, although I am not contributing much.

Thanks guys for being here!

Edited by Pedro, Aug 31 2018 - 01:29 PM.

#9 marco lenarduzzi

marco lenarduzzi

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 211 posts
  • Interests:racing sims,cars, F1,cooking,skiing

Posted Sep 01 2018 - 10:31 PM

I like to drop in everyday and read the latest posts. When the site was down a few months I really missed it. Thanks !

#10 Andy Clegg

Andy Clegg

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 527 posts

Posted Sep 02 2018 - 05:54 AM

Since stopping work in November I've visited this webite two or three times a day. Starting work again soon although just part time.

#11 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,052 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Sep 02 2018 - 06:12 AM

All the best to you with your work situation.

My last few years before retirement were stressful with sometimes yearly furloughs from work, consisting of 3 to 4 months, caused by poor yearly planning of the company.  Eventually, I retired early and been having a peaceful life with much more time for GPL. :)

#12 Andy Clegg

Andy Clegg

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 527 posts

Posted Sep 04 2018 - 03:55 AM

Hi Greg, thanks for that. I've enjoyed my time. Been hot lapping nearly every day and I can say "that I seem to be driving quicker than when I'd only be driving two or three times s week". I do think I'm able to set up the cars a lot better now there's time to do it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links