Pippen

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:GPL
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 28 2017 - 02:32 PM

Ok, now my best sector times add up to 1:29,66 and I wonder where the limit is for a pure keyboard driver like me :). (edit: I drive a Lotus)

I just attached a 1:29,87 lap so that some veterans can give me advice and both setups as jpg's though it's in German, but I guess you know what is meant. Maybe I can get some interesting opinions.

Attached Files

Edited by Pippen, Apr 29 2017 - 10:47 AM.

#122 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Apr 29 2017 - 10:24 AM

Hard to know what's right for you...
Which car?

2nd and 3rd gears are too close together?
Maybe try 3rd at 4.56-ish, 4.04 or so in 4th, and 3.23 for 5th?
Maybe alittle less if a heavier car.

In general, try to run quicker shocks in front? So for instance, 3/3 front and 2/2 rear.
If you want to mess with shock settings, try working with rear rebound first and try to sync it up with the diff in coast.

You're way-out-there asymmetric springs are helping?
Its the Monza Oval?
Try working them back into balance?
Not sure how anti-roll bars like it.

Once you have all four wheels leaving the same straight skid marks at the same time under locked up braking, the car must be close to balanced under load. Otherwise, the front or rear would lock up first etc. Or when asymmetric, who knows? From then on, use the anti-roll bars only to adjust the car's capability to hold the widest arc thru a turn.

Edited by John Woods, Apr 29 2017 - 10:27 AM.

#123 Iestyn16

Iestyn16

Tom Pryce

• Members
  • 271 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Music

Posted May 14 2017 - 02:09 PM

This thread (http://srmz.net/inde...showtopic=11850) made me remember this: https://www.youtube....h?v=Hq5BZCp5KqM

From the links on the side, you can see replays of how Otavio and Raoni drive so fast with keys.

#124 Pippen

Pippen

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted May 15 2017 - 07:18 AM

View PostIestyn16, on May 14 2017 - 02:09 PM, said:

This thread (http://srmz.net/inde...showtopic=11850) made me remember this: https://www.youtube....h?v=Hq5BZCp5KqM

From the links on the side, you can see replays of how Otavio and Raoni drive so fast with keys.

Are there setups from those guys? What lap times did they drive, e.g. in Monza? My best sector times add up to 1:29,46 now, I could drive about 1:29,70 for a single fastest lap.

#125 Iestyn16

Iestyn16

Tom Pryce

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted May 15 2017 - 08:03 AM

Found this thread from the forum with Keypad setups: http://srmz.net/inde....opic=317&st=30 - Otavio says the first set by Keith are more beginner type and the ones he posted the expert type. Some handy tips from him as well on how to improve with the keyboard.

In post #109 I outlined the categories on GPLrank. If I were you, I would try to aim for each one as you go, so firstly 1:29.0 for auto-gears, then 1:28.6 for anyone who only put in a 'keyboard' controller type. After that, the 1:27.8. You're right in that controller affects times, the overall WR looks to be about 1.75 seconds faster than keyboard at least on Monza. I guess in theory it is possible to 'home-build' some sort of setup to make a wheel out of the keyboard (I remember seeing pictures of this from the 90s).

Here is some discussion from Raoni: https://translate.go...d67&prev=search - he says he uses Keypad (Duncan Scheltens) setups and gives more tips on keyboard driving, sometimes using Dark setups as well (stable for RFB).

Edited by Iestyn16, May 15 2017 - 08:09 AM.

#126 Pippen

Pippen

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted May 15 2017 - 09:21 AM

Hm...steering linearity is an issue obviously. Up to now I just have 100% linearity, 0% non-linearity, because my keys reacts fastest with that. But it seems that is not so good with real fast setups because the car tends to break out very quickly. But thx a lot for the setups, you really helped me out, bro, and as an icing on the cake you come from Liverpool and I am a diehard LFC fan since 1985, hopfully you're not an "Everton guy" :).

#127 Iestyn16

Iestyn16

Tom Pryce

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted May 16 2017 - 03:12 AM

No worries, it will be interesting to see how you get on with them!

I am indeed on the red side of the city, but my local team is actually the third one of the area - Tranmere Rovers! The (usually unknown) white team to go alongside the red and blue :P

PS. I can tell you that John Barnes has the most swagger of anybody I've ever met! Ian St. John lives a few doors down from me, apparently I had a kick-about with him when I was a toddler.

#128 Pippen

Pippen

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted May 16 2017 - 08:10 AM

Ian St. John was before my time, but I still remember John Barnes - when Liverpool was still a powerhouse in the Premier League. Didn't know about Tranmore Rovers (I am from Germany)...thx for closing that gap in my book.

Anyway, again thx a lot, my times dropped from 1:29,60 to 1:29,09 and I didn't even use the fastest setup yet. Amazing, what a proper setup does.

#129 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,277 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted May 16 2017 - 03:25 PM

Remember when you thought nobody could beat your 1.32 time with keys?

#130 Pippen

Pippen

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted May 16 2017 - 05:07 PM

View PostPete Gaimari, on May 16 2017 - 03:25 PM, said:

Yeah, therefore I am so proud that I - at least - had the brain to put the word "newbie" in the thread title, so that one knows what one gets here. :)

#131 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,177 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted May 17 2017 - 11:36 AM

View PostPippen, on May 16 2017 - 05:07 PM, said:

View PostPete Gaimari, on May 16 2017 - 03:25 PM, said:

Yeah, therefore I am so proud that I - at least - had the brain to put the word "newbie" in the thread title, so that one knows what one gets here. :)

Good job with that.
Just thinking maybe give yourself some points for perseverance also, and credit your improved times to that as much as any setup.

:D

Edited by John Woods, May 17 2017 - 11:43 AM.

#132 Pippen

Pippen

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted May 17 2017 - 04:44 PM

I am kind of proud, 1:28,85 now, only with the keys, even when I get offroad 95% of the time because the setup makes the Lotus to drive like poison, but if you hit it, you hit it and I even didn't try the faster setup choice from Raoni.  It's kind of fun to squeeze out all these little milliseconds out of a circut, every day my 10min., unleashing all my anger to the track :). I think I would have been a formidable qualifying racer that sucks at the race. :)

Edited by Pippen, May 17 2017 - 04:44 PM.

#133 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,277 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted May 18 2017 - 07:17 AM

Better to be the other way around.

#134 Pippen

Pippen