• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 29 2015 - 06:03 AM

I've only had a quick go with the Occulus Rift, initially I was very disappointed with the resolution... triple screens are so much sharper and easier to see braking points, apexes etc.

But then the more I moved my head around and the perspective changed properly in 3D, the ability to look around anywhere in a natural way, and just the immersion of it all was fantastic. It's definitely the future of gaming, although one of my friends tried it for 10 minutes and was really ill for the rest of the afternoon :blink:  :yuk: :faint:

Another problem is that you can't see anything while you're wearing it, not too much of a problem if your H shifter always stays in the same place, but if you've got button boxes.... forget it! It can be a bit disorientating when the steering wheel and shifter are in one place in the game, and a different place in real life :)

I reckon there's probably no rush to try to convert GPL, the Occulus Development software seems to keep changing which means game developers keep having to rewrite their code, presumably this won't be a problem once the device is officially launched. Plus there are other competitors coming sometime too which may complicate things.

Edited by Fat Rich, Oct 29 2015 - 06:05 AM.

#17 slowmoe

slowmoe

Bob Anderson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted Nov 13 2015 - 05:38 AM

I had to creat a store for a Samsung VR which is quite similar to the Occulus Rift and I cannot imagine how this should work in GPL and I don't think it would make much sense.
I don't even think it would look good with all the 2d graphics in GPL. I always liked the often good looking 2d mips which look so different to polygons. Especially with newer hardware and the ability to use higher res mips. That give GPL something special. It sometimes looks less artificial (very paradoxical...)

#18 isamu

isamu

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted Jan 09 2016 - 06:34 AM

Welp, the price for the Rift was announced on Wednesday. $599USD. Anyone getting one?

#19 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.

Posted Jan 09 2016 - 06:45 AM

I'll probably get one but I'm not going to rush into it. I reckon I'll only use the Rift for Assetto Corsa and Dirt Rally, fun games but I don't play them a huge amount.

I reckon there will be bugs and glitches to be ironed out when it releases, the price will probably drop after a few months plus it'll have some competition from other VR headsets fairly soon too.

Also with the new seriously wide and seriously curved gaming monitors coming out at the moment, it's an interesting time for sim racers :)

#20 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,473 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted Mar 12 2018 - 01:27 PM

Is there any news about VR headset and compatibility for GPL ?

thank you

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links