• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#31 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 18 2018 - 08:50 PM

Interesting.

#32 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted Mar 19 2018 - 03:13 AM

Wow!

#33 db312

db312

Always in the lead

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:Just a fan of Gpl since 2008, fan of plane sim too (Il2-Cliffs of dover, Rise of flight) and in love with music

Posted Mar 19 2018 - 03:59 AM

Another great news !

Thanks a lot !

Just a question, is it possible to add still more contrast...?...

#34 Jim Pearson

Jim Pearson

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:Trackmaking, Bike Road Racing, Links Golf, Long Distance Walking.

Posted Mar 19 2018 - 05:27 AM

View Postdb312, on Mar 19 2018 - 03:59 AM, said:

Another great news !

Thanks a lot !

Just a question, is it possible to add still more contrast...?...

Actually, quite a good question, because I made some adjustments to tone down the darkness of my vertex shading to do exactly that, show some more contrast with the hard shadows.

See below.

This is probably as far as I want to go with higher contrast, for three reasons.

First, high contrast textures may look great in screen shots, but are hard on the eye captured on a monitor when you are travelling at speed. I believe human eyes don't adjust to contrast on a monitor as well as they do in real life,

Second, this is the Isle of Man we are talking about, where the days can be bright with good hues in colors, but not bright as they might be, say,  in the Med in summer. For example, the texturing in the GPL Piccolo Madonie is exceptional for that location; exceptional! .....but would not look correct at IOM.

Thirdly, I am not going to try to replicate sunshine glare because this also is very hard on the eye when using a monitor for long periods.

Attached Files

#35 db312

db312

Always in the lead

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:Just a fan of Gpl since 2008, fan of plane sim too (Il2-Cliffs of dover, Rise of flight) and in love with music

Posted Mar 19 2018 - 05:42 AM

"First, high contrast textures may look great in screen shots, but are hard on the eye captured on a monitor when you are travelling at speed. I believe human eyes don't adjust to contrast on a monitor as well as they do in real life"

Totally agree with you, and many thanks for your answer !

All the best :)

Edited by db312, Mar 19 2018 - 05:43 AM.

#36 Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

• Supporter
  • 838 posts
  • Interests:GPL; Model Cars; Photography. Assetto Corsa

Posted Mar 19 2018 - 08:48 AM

Jim, your attention to EVERY detail never ceases to amaze me.  MANY, MANY thanks for all your hard work.

:dino:

#37 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted Mar 19 2018 - 10:46 AM

That's an amazing development. GPL graphics get better all the time. Great job Jim, and thanks for all your tracks! :)

#38 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,796 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Mar 19 2018 - 11:54 AM

Hi Jim. All the screenshots you've shown us recently look tremendous, but your mentioning vertex shading has made me curious. When you're applying vertex shading to the road surface, have you ever had a situation where you've gone back to test the shading, and it has flickered on and off while you're approaching the area, and while you're driving over it? As a TotalRanker I've driven almost every track that has ever been released for GPL (including a lot of the 'beta' and 'test' tracks which are not in the TotalRank), and there are a few (I'm reluctant to mention names!) where this happens. Can you say if this flickering happens due to the way that the vertex shading is applied by the track maker? Or does it happen due to video driver problems? Or could it be a combination of both?

Edited by Saiph, Mar 19 2018 - 11:57 AM.

#39 Jim Pearson

Jim Pearson

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 127 posts

Posted Mar 19 2018 - 05:19 PM

View PostSaiph, on Mar 19 2018 - 11:54 AM, said:

Hi Jim. All the screenshots you've shown us recently look tremendous, but your mentioning vertex shading has made me curious. When you're applying vertex shading to the road surface, have you ever had a situation where you've gone back to test the shading, and it has flickered on and off while you're approaching the area, and while you're driving over it? As a TotalRanker I've driven almost every track that has ever been released for GPL (including a lot of the 'beta' and 'test' tracks which are not in the TotalRank), and there are a few (I'm reluctant to mention names!) where this happens. Can you say if this flickering happens due to the way that the vertex shading is applied by the track maker? Or does it happen due to video driver problems? Or could it be a combination of both?

No definitive answer unless each installation and track is examined.

Could be a video card issue, or OGL Vs D3d issue on your monitor; or CRT Vs Flat Screen.

As far as applying the HSV values [ vertex shading values ] when compiling a track, this is simply recording a fixed set of 3 variables for colour / intensity [ darkness ] etc for each altitude [ longitudinal ] trace  [ Max 16 allowed in GPL ] at the start of each track section.

So for IOM MC present build there are 2854 track sections X 16 traces X 3 variables = 136992 values for vertex shading. Many of these are values that display total transparency though; ie no shading.

This may sound horrendously complicated and time consuming, but its really quite easy to construct and manage in Excel. For example, I toned down my values for the second example above in just 10 minutes then recompiled the track 3do in another 10 minutes.

The only time  I have experienced anything like flickering or shading seeming to suddenly turn on or off any given track section is when the values at the start or end of a track section are too different laterally. Put another way if the left edge track section start value is dark and the right side start value is light but the left side end section [ start of next section ] is light and right side dark, there can be a lateral twist and light change that looks triangular when driving that section. Best I can explain it.

My vertex shading tends to be progressive londitudinally  even if the right side track surface values are sometimes different to the left, used to depict shade from one side or the other. Cant see any flickering on my monitor or in the videos I have produced.

#40 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,796 posts

Posted Mar 19 2018 - 08:37 PM

I'm pretty sure it's nothing to do with CRT vs flat screen. When I say "flickering", maybe I didn't explain clearly enough what I mean. I'm not talking about the kind of rapid, constant flickering you get when, for example, a CRT monitor has its refresh rate set too low. It's more of an intermittent switching on and off, as if the track section keeps changing its mind about whether it should be shaded or not.

Thanks for the reply anyway, it's always interesting to hear more details of how a track is put together. :thumbup:

#41 db312

db312

Always in the lead

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted Mar 20 2018 - 02:28 AM

"...it's always interesting to hear more details of how a track is put together"

Absolutely !!!

Once again, many many thanks !!! :)

Edited by db312, Mar 20 2018 - 02:28 AM.

#42 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,808 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Mar 20 2018 - 09:45 AM

Hello Jim!

Thank you for that insight on your track editing!
Very interesting.

Vertex shading plus hard shadows looks best to me.

Cheers
Stefan

Edited by Stefan Roess, Mar 20 2018 - 09:45 AM.

#43 albergman

albergman

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:GPL photography windsurfing sailing

Posted Mar 20 2018 - 11:18 AM

I think the greatest effect of this lovely addition will be seeing shadows transit the car.   This adds a realism that's been missing in GPL while available in other sims.

Glad to hear that it's such an easy fix too ... hate to have it extend the target date!!    Remember ... I'm 80 this August!!    I want enough time to set at least one world record LOL!

Frank

#44 Jim Pearson

Jim Pearson

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 127 posts

Posted Mar 21 2018 - 01:40 AM

View Postalbergman, on Mar 20 2018 - 11:18 AM, said:

I think the greatest effect of this lovely addition will be seeing shadows transit the car.   This adds a realism that's been missing in GPL while available in other sims.

Glad to hear that it's such an easy fix too ... hate to have it extend the target date!! Remember ... I'm 80 this August!! I want enough time to set at least one world record LOL!

Frank

Post #18 remains relevant at this time.

#45 pioujd428

pioujd428

Chris

• Members
  • 200 posts
  • Interests:1967 and 1968

Posted Mar 23 2018 - 12:32 AM

Very nice looking work Jim. :thumbup: