Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:GPL
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 09 2018 - 10:57 AM

I remember a topic from a while ago about a stunning Eagle Weslake build from Lego. It was a custom build and while you can find the build instructions online it was never released as an official Lego set.
But searching online I came across a Lego imitation set from China, called Lepin, which has used (or stolen) the build instructions and released it as a set.

The original Lego build:
Posted Image

The Chinese imitation:
Posted Image

At first I was tempted to buy it (it goes for 67 euro's, how fitting) but when I looked closer it doesn't look anywhere near a good as the original. The blue looks like a different colour, as well as the lighter grey parts. Those tyres look terrible and the original rear tyres in the Lego build turn out to be super rare, so replacing them won't be easy or cheap. I've aslo read bad stories about those fake bricks that won't even fit properly and that they deteriorate over time, which ofcourse doesn't happen with real Lego.

Why do you guys think of it?

Edited by Millennium, Jan 09 2018 - 01:02 PM.

#2 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,405 posts
  • Interests:everything that has a Ferrari V12 inside
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jan 09 2018 - 02:33 PM

You're making a mistake though: it wasn't an official Lego build but as you said a custom one. People make their custom builds and there's a specific section on their website where you can vote to make Lego have them happen and sold for mass production. HOWEVER, the Lego official treatment is terrible. They simplify the build so that kids can make them and hardly resemble the original. Not worth at all the money they ask (which as always, is a lot).

Look at the custom build for the Caterham
https://ideas.lego.c...73-f5021e576581

And this is how the official and approved Lego build looks like
Attached File  21307.png   173.56K   27 downloads

Edited by leon_90, Jan 09 2018 - 02:34 PM.

#3 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:GPL
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 09 2018 - 02:49 PM

I did not know that, but that Lego approved Catarham does indeed looks like a dumbed down version of the original.

You can still look up all the original parts at Bricklink I suppose, but with the 1000+ parts on the Eagle Weslake build that will get expensive and very time consuming. Therefore I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with those Chinese clones. I know the parts are of worse quality but the low price and sort of 'okay' looking car might be interesting. Unless it's really crappy ofcourse.

Edited by Millennium, Jan 09 2018 - 02:51 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links