Jump to content


- - - - -

Project Cars 2


  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

    Lazy Blipper

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Fallen out of the Karussell again
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Aug 18 2017 - 12:58 PM

Talking of Jimmy Broadbent:

https://www.youtube....h?v=ZLFvmGUFBxc

It's the Press build which is some way behind the latest build, but if the handling, FFB and AI are still wonky at that stage of the game's development I'd be a bit worried about what's going to be released.

We will see, I guess. :shrug:

Edit: Although his later videos are more positive it seems....

Edited by Fat Rich, Aug 23 2017 - 10:51 AM.


#22 leon_90

leon_90

    Lorenzo Bandini

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy/Puglia
  • Interests:everything that has a Ferrari V12 inside
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Aug 18 2017 - 01:40 PM

View PostGui, on Aug 18 2017 - 10:40 AM, said:


Sorry but those guys are not competent sources, much less regarding details (especially SimRacingPaddock and GamerMuscle). A couple of other mildly popular and friendly guys like Jimmy Broadbent aren't either, and I don't think Matt Orr will be playing this anytime near release.

Dunno any having a bachelor or a master degree in sim-racing :P jokes aside, those sources are much, much more trustful than professional race drivers like Nic Hamilton or Nicky Thiim who happily take money to say what they want them to say. EmptyBox, Broadbent, GM, ISR, SRP are much more honest and transparent. And it goes without a say that someone who has a deep knowledge of sim-racing, has played as many sims as possible, knows how a car handle, knows how to setup a car and has a genuine passion in motorsport is someone competent to me for reviewing a sim ;)

#23 Gui

Gui

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Interests:The world
  • Sim interest:other

Posted Aug 18 2017 - 09:12 PM

I am not questioning their honesty, even the slight positive bias in commentary towards gifted copies of games or hardware as it's just a display of gratitude. It's just based analysis, feedback or knowledge. But back to the game and the press footage, as you guys have also mentioned it, there's just not enough time to address them with such hard release date creeping in. Some of it has been subpar since pC1, it won't be a sudden magical fix discovered in a month.

Edited by Gui, Aug 22 2017 - 01:31 PM.


#24 hagapito40

hagapito40

    On the search...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Classic Racing History, Modeling in 3ds Max and of course RACING!
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Aug 26 2017 - 07:28 AM

If someone is interested do this...take the AC Ford Escort MkI at Monza...do a few laps an hit the curbs on the chicanes...then take a look at the replays...
then...take the same car at Monza on Pcars 1 do the same...take a look at the replays...how suspension  and wheigt transferd works on under braking, acceleration and curbs. Just a clue... the cars at AC ar more stiffthan my skate board...
The problem with Pcars1 and probably Pcars2 is quantity vs quality...many cars with the same physics not very polished by the way...
Probably the most noticeable changes will be in GT3 cars with Nicolas Hamillton work.

#25 Gui

Gui

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Interests:The world
  • Sim interest:other

Posted Aug 26 2017 - 06:25 PM

If pCARS 2 delivers as a believable experience without absurd exploits and glitches, it will be a welcome release. If it delivers more than that, excellent.

#26 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

    Le Mans Addict and GPL Returnee!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lymington, New Forest, England
  • Interests:Le Mans, Le Mans and more Le Mans.

    Oh, and GPL as well.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Aug 29 2017 - 08:13 AM

View PostFat Rich, on Aug 18 2017 - 12:58 PM, said:

Talking of Jimmy Broadbent:

https://www.youtube....h?v=ZLFvmGUFBxc

It's the Press build which is some way behind the latest build, but if the handling, FFB and AI are still wonky at that stage of the game's development I'd be a bit worried about what's going to be released.

We will see, I guess. :shrug:

Edit: Although his later videos are more positive it seems....

'Long swinging right-hander into T1........'  Oh dear.

#27 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

    Lazy Blipper

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Fallen out of the Karussell again
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 26 2017 - 07:46 AM

Anyone taken the plunge with this yet?

Sounds like they've made a big step forward with many aspects of the game, although the quality of the AI still worries me. It seems the content isn't very consistent either, some very good, some a bit wonky.

If I had more time I'd give it a punt, but I've got a lot of great sims sitting my hard drive not being driven :(

#28 Gui

Gui

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Interests:The world
  • Sim interest:other

Posted Sep 26 2017 - 08:26 AM

View PostFat Rich, on Sep 26 2017 - 07:46 AM, said:

Anyone taken the plunge with this yet?

Sounds like they've made a big step forward with many aspects of the game, although the quality of the AI still worries me. It seems the content isn't very consistent either, some very good, some a bit wonky.

If I had more time I'd give it a punt, but I've got a lot of great sims sitting my hard drive not being driven :(

Can't you play a demo and then rent the game? I'd not buy it so soon after release, initial thoughts can't encompass the whole thing and "it's better than the first one" doesn't mean much in this case.

#29 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

    Lazy Blipper

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Fallen out of the Karussell again
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 26 2017 - 08:33 AM

I think Steam will allow a refund if played for less than 2 hours, will give it a try when I get some time and SMS patch out some of the bugs :)

Edited by Fat Rich, Sep 26 2017 - 08:34 AM.


#30 Border Reiver

Border Reiver

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St Andrews, Scotland
  • Interests:GPL and GPL editing
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 26 2017 - 10:28 AM

I decided to go for it and I am really quite enjoying it. Did some online racing with some friends from GPL and we had a good time. Old Spa in a Group C car when it comes on to start snowing certainly gets your attention! Also had some great fun in the Formula Fords, or Formula Rookie, or what ever they call it, at Knockhill. One of the guys I was racing with had raced FF at Knockhill in his youth and the other guy's father has a historic FF car that they use, and they both seemed pretty convinced by both the rendition of the Knockhill track and by the behaviour of the car.

Like a lot of things, it probably isn't the absolute definitive answer, and I don't think that "one size fits all" will ever manage that, however, it seems pretty entertaining and has addressed a lot of the bugs from pCars1. Time will tell if they continue to respond to feedback and iron out a few more bugs too, but in any case, while it certainly won't be the only racing game that I ever play and it isn't the last racing game that I will ever need, I am pretty sure I will get enough use out of it to justify the price.

Rob

#31 one2fwee

one2fwee

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Sep 26 2017 - 11:09 AM

Their version of old spa is awfully inaccurate, and they were informed of the mistakes even when the first game was in development. To sum it up, eau rouge / raidillon are based on the modern form.

The same can be said for Rouen, the track width is based on the widened modern roads.

If people here think AC track / car accuracy is bad well PCars is far, far worse. And the worst thing about it is they were told multiple times during development and given examples, research data and resources to back up those claims.

#32 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

    Lazy Blipper

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Fallen out of the Karussell again
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 26 2017 - 11:28 AM

View Postone2fwee, on Sep 26 2017 - 11:09 AM, said:

Their version of old spa is awfully inaccurate, and they were informed of the mistakes even when the first game was in development. To sum it up, eau rouge / raidillon are based on the modern form.

The same can be said for Rouen, the track width is based on the widened modern roads.

If people here think AC track / car accuracy is bad well PCars is far, far worse. And the worst thing about it is they were told multiple times during development and given examples, research data and resources to back up those claims.

At least old Spa is now in the game, I bought pCars 1 expecting that track and the McLaren M8F and they weren't included :(

As for the Rouen track, didn't their version have a bridge going across the track for the new highway that wasn't there in the 60s? :D

#33 one2fwee

one2fwee

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Sep 26 2017 - 04:22 PM

Hahahah yes it did and the back straight was based on the modern width so it resembled a runway!

They seem to have made it more reasonable in terms of width now though https://www.youtube....h?v=CeR1zN9n2DE
It still looks a bit too wide everywhere overall but it's far better than what it originally was.
https://www.youtube....h?v=lcMIQ7POpTY

However I still wouldn't bet on them for accuracy and the attention to detail just seems lacking and slap dash - all the copypaste fences and haybales put down with reckless abandon.

And what's with the random grandstand placed on the outside of Gresil? In real life that would be a disaster waiting to happen!

#34 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

    Denny Hulme

  • GPLLinks Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bavaria, Germany
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Sep 27 2017 - 03:14 AM

View PostBorder Reiver, on Sep 26 2017 - 10:28 AM, said:

I decided to go for it and I am really quite enjoying it. Did some online racing with some friends from GPL and we had a good time. Old Spa in a Group C car when it comes on to start snowing certainly gets your attention! Also had some great fun in the Formula Fords, or Formula Rookie, or what ever they call it, at Knockhill. One of the guys I was racing with had raced FF at Knockhill in his youth and the other guy's father has a historic FF car that they use, and they both seemed pretty convinced by both the rendition of the Knockhill track and by the behaviour of the car.

...

Rob

Hi Rob

I guess you were racing online with Stu, weren`t you?

I know Stu of beta testing many years ago. A very good alien driver. :)

According to yours and Stu`s opinion (which is of more value to me than any Youtube video or article :) ) I think I have to buy Project Cars 2 (but atm I don`t have enough disc space left. PC2 needs 50 GB).

Thx!

Edited by Stefan Roess, Nov 06 2018 - 04:39 PM.


#35 Gui

Gui

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Interests:The world
  • Sim interest:other

Posted Sep 27 2017 - 08:49 AM

Hahahaha one2fwee and I regularly posted material for reference for pC1 and from the way the first game progressed, it was like everything was dully ignored. pC/rF series have the most inaccurate tracks.

#36 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

    Denny Hulme

  • GPLLinks Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bavaria, Germany
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Oct 04 2017 - 06:05 AM

Finally I have bought it and I like it a lot. :)
The simulation of rain is brilliant. With every lap there is more water on the track and the car gets loose on the puddles. :D

#37 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

    Le Mans Addict and GPL Returnee!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lymington, New Forest, England
  • Interests:Le Mans, Le Mans and more Le Mans.

    Oh, and GPL as well.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 06 2018 - 03:54 PM

View PostStefan Roess, on Oct 04 2017 - 06:05 AM, said:

Finally I have bought it and I like it a lot. :)
The simulation of rain is brilliant. With every lap there is more water on the track and the car gets loose on the puddles. :D

I'm in the same boat.  I handed my badge back to the Reality Police many years ago and I just race for a few minutes of fun and I find PC2 exactly that - a lot of fun.  GPL it aint, but I can always go back to GPL any time....   (Mind you, the rain really does turn into massive puddles very quickly.....  ;)).

Edited by Aysedasi, Nov 06 2018 - 03:55 PM.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links