Jump to content


71 Can Am Tracks


  • Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#16 MECH

MECH

    Double poly killer

  • Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Here ->
  • Interests:My Girlfriend
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 03 2012 - 12:50 PM

View PostPete Gaimari, on Sep 03 2012 - 12:14 PM, said:

How about Donny? Should I install the available one for now?

Thanks for the sky. :)
I believe the release is planned before the mod.
The track layout is final but may get some graphical updates (trackside objects etc..)

#17 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

    Jim Clark

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,403 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Colorado
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 03 2012 - 12:52 PM

Ok thanks. I'll wait.

#18 mcmirande

mcmirande

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tucumán, Argentina
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 03 2012 - 01:20 PM

Thanks for all those explanations and additional information about Glen!

Cheers, Marcos.

#19 Dr Tooth

Dr Tooth

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Stockholm, Sweden
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 03 2012 - 07:12 PM

View Postgliebzeit, on Sep 03 2012 - 11:45 AM, said:

View PostDr Tooth, on Sep 03 2012 - 11:36 AM, said:


Yes, and the 71Glen is with the boot, the right track is not more than in alfa stage, so we selected the original Glen.

Dr Tooth

No.... it is not.  The '71 Glen was 2.482 miles long and this track layout:
(Wikipedia is not always the 'truth'.  Look a little more deeply for the actual track that was raced on in '71)

*******************

The Road Atlanta track is composed of over 300 individual 3do files.  Do you really think that Noonan created that from scratch back in 2000?  Don't think so.  It was a conversion.

*******************

As I said  :D the real 71 track is not the one that was driven and smogys CanAm 71 track is in early alfa so both was not an option, so we go for the original Papy  :P no Wiki here just plain knowledge  ;)

Dr Tooth

Edited by Dr Tooth, Sep 03 2012 - 11:03 PM.


#20 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

    Targa Fan

  • Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Florida - USA
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 03 2012 - 09:45 PM

Well.... smoggy was constructing two (2) Watkins Glen tracks for the 1971 season.

There was the "interim" layout used for the '71 Can-Am and '71 Trans-Am races in July and August.

Then there was the layout with the completed "boot" section that was ready for the '71 Grand Prix in early October.

Attached Files



#21 Dr Tooth

Dr Tooth

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Stockholm, Sweden
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 03 2012 - 11:01 PM

View Postgliebzeit, on Sep 03 2012 - 09:45 PM, said:

Well.... smoggy was constructing two (2) Watkins Glen tracks for the 1971 season.

There was the "interim" layout used for the '71 Can-Am and '71 Trans-Am races in July and August.

Then there was the layout with the completed "boot" section that was ready for the '71 Grand Prix in early October.

Well.... as I just said  :shock:  :D  :wave:

Dr Tooth

#22 ThiagoLemos

ThiagoLemos

    Jo Siffert

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Vitória - Brazil
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 10 2012 - 08:10 AM

I think Dr Tooth prefer to use Watkins 67 Papy cause Glen's versions by Smoggie are not as good as the original.

And I agree.

#23 silence

silence

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:...
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 12 2012 - 07:21 AM

I really don't understand why not using Smogbike's right Watkins(without boot).Of course it's not the nicest track, but with a few texture updates it's not the worst track we have.

Nevertheless, here're two screenies of Papy's Watkins with new armco I made, to have a more proper look.I would publish the update if there exist interest.


silence :wave:

Attached Files



#24 dario

dario

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:gpl
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 12 2012 - 07:45 AM

View Postsilence, on Sep 12 2012 - 07:21 AM, said:

I really don't understand why not using Smogbike's right Watkins(without boot).Of course it's not the nicest track, but with a few texture updates it's not the worst track we have.

Nevertheless, here're two screenies of Papy's Watkins with new armco I made, to have a more proper look.I would publish the update if there exist interest.


silence :wave:

mmmmm blue armco -wonderfull

release it please. Maybe someone could do a multi season update to WG since there are so much good graphical updates out there for WG track

#25 silence

silence

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:...
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 12 2012 - 08:08 AM

View Postdario, on Sep 12 2012 - 07:45 AM, said:

View Postsilence, on Sep 12 2012 - 07:21 AM, said:

I really don't understand why not using Smogbike's right Watkins(without boot).Of course it's not the nicest track, but with a few texture updates it's not the worst track we have.

Nevertheless, here're two screenies of Papy's Watkins with new armco I made, to have a more proper look.I would publish the update if there exist interest.


silence :wave:

mmmmm blue armco -wonderfull

release it please. Maybe someone could do a multi season update to WG since there are so much good graphical updates out there for WG track


It would be a mod specific update.

#26 Remy

Remy

    Denny Hulme

  • Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Interests:GPL
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 12 2012 - 10:46 AM

View Postsilence, on Sep 12 2012 - 08:08 AM, said:

View Postdario, on Sep 12 2012 - 07:45 AM, said:

View Postsilence, on Sep 12 2012 - 07:21 AM, said:

I really don't understand why not using Smogbike's right Watkins(without boot).Of course it's not the nicest track, but with a few texture updates it's not the worst track we have.

Nevertheless, here're two screenies of Papy's Watkins with new armco I made, to have a more proper look.I would publish the update if there exist interest.


silence :wave:

mmmmm blue armco -wonderfull

release it please. Maybe someone could do a multi season update to WG since there are so much good graphical updates out there for WG track


It would be a mod specific update.


CanAm71 specific mod files extensions are followings :

3DOExtension--3CA
SRBExtension--sCA
MipExtension--mCA
Page0PBF--pag71CA.pbf

TrackExtension--tCA
FlagPBFSuffix--fCA.pbf
Track.ini--tra71CA.ini
LPExtension--lCA

#27 silence

silence

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:...
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 12 2012 - 10:50 AM

Thanks Remy! :hat-tip:

#28 Cheapracer

Cheapracer

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 13 2012 - 08:35 AM

View PostJohn Woods, on Sep 03 2012 - 11:22 AM, said:

Pretty sure GPL Road Atlanta is Dave Noonan original, not a conversion.
:)

It is a Dave Noonan track as I recall, he built tracks in a totally different method than we know (Microsoft Access based I believe)and that's why there's so many sections for example. Of course he built his own 3do editor as well and other tools I know of but no one ever saw. Dave got a bad run back then for daring to charge money for his thousands of hours work.

Road Atlanta is also one of my favorite tracks.

I will get Road America done this year, I don't have the build files anymore but I have some special reverse engineering tools of my own to resolve that, ironically Dave's 3do editor is a part of that process  ;)

#29 JacnGille

JacnGille

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 13 2012 - 10:01 AM

I wish Road Atlanta would be remade to the level of accuracy equal to the upcoming Can Am Mod.

#30 Cheapracer

Cheapracer

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 13 2012 - 11:29 AM

View PostJacnGille, on Sep 13 2012 - 10:01 AM, said:

I wish Road Atlanta would be remade to the level of accuracy equal to the upcoming Can Am Mod.

Well I can reverse engineer these tracks in a matter of minutes to produce .gtk and .tso files which gets a big chunk of the work out of the way, I just did it for my own Road America after I actually first found my tools to do it (luckily some very old CD's still read) so if any track builder wants to update a track or has also lost his build files give me a yell.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links